Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 PM

9 posts, read 18,028 times

Advertisements

Sooo yeah. I have lived in Las Vegas ALLLL of my life. and now, I HATE IT. I have finished my first year of college at UNLV (the school is really horrible). There is nothing to do in vegas unles you are 21 years old, which i am not, just turned 19. I must admit...i do have an AMAZING job out here at a law firm, but with 2 years experience, i would like to think it wont be difficult to find another job out there?? Please advise. lol. Anyways, i wanted to leave vegas since i graduated but i have not been to very many places so i didnt know where i wanted to go. But bestfriend has decided to move to colorado springs and she took me out there for my birthday to see if i liked it. it is a very very nice place. The people were so much more friendlier, the weather was nice and it was beautiful. I also went on tour of UCCS. The school was amazing. I am actually waiting on my letter to see if i got in right now. I have already told my job i was leaving, but as of late, i have been have doubts. I keep thinking about the "what ifs". I think about how i could probably see myself living somewhere like california(but they are sooo expensive). I think about if i will enjoy myself out there. Will i get tired of the outdoors. I am black, and i didn't see too many of them out there. I am not a judgmental person (my bestfriend is white), i just wonder if i will desire some ethnicity in my life?? Can you guys please give me a little advice on all this?? i would really appreciate it. Thanks sooo much!!

~LostInLife07~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,260,075 times
If you have a good job stay there. You won't be 19 forever and good jobs are going away fast everywhere.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:24 AM

52 posts, read 230,735 times
Colorado Springs is no paradise, but I do like it here a lot better than Central Ca, or any other place I have lived. Just recently I spent a week working out in Henderson, NV and it's not that bad of a place, just HOT! As far as Las vegas it is a fun place to visit but I sure was glad to be home. I wish I had moved out here or back when I was 19 but I Just didn't know anyone here then. If I were you and I had a friend out here I would give it a try. Either way it works out or not it will be something new, and a good learning experience. As far as the black thing I wouldn't worry, it's more of a younger generation here. Is white but I have a good friend that is black, and I never here him complain about being harassed, and he even rides a Harley

Old 08-09-2008, 08:59 PM

648 posts, read 2,946,411 times
I have to agree w/ Jaf1976, go for it. You are only young once and I wish I would have been more adventurous before I started having kids. I don't regret it, but I am saying if I had the opporutnity to move and try something new I would have. (I am a native to Colorado Springs.) You may not get this opportunity again...

Also, you will not have any issues here being black. None of my friends have had any troubles.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,260,075 times
I would look into the likelyhood of finding a job in your field before making a move. Being black (or white or shades between) is not a problem, not having a job is. Jobs are going away as corporate America downsizes, and if you have a "secure" job, hold onto it for dear life.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If you have a good job stay there. You won't be 19 forever and good jobs are going away fast everywhere.
I know that is very true. But to be honest, the only reason i didnt leave las vegas when i graduated is because of my job. Though it is a really good job, especially for someone my age, i am not happy there anymore. I am still young so i dont think i should postpone my life for a job that is not even secure anyways. They are lawyers, and they do not care about anyone. One mistake and you are out of there. Everyone is always walking on pens and needles. Not a good environment.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAF1976 View Post
Colorado Springs is no paradise, but I do like it here a lot better than Central Ca, or any other place I have lived. Just recently I spent a week working out in Henderson, NV and it's not that bad of a place, just HOT! As far as Las vegas it is a fun place to visit but I sure was glad to be home. I wish I had moved out here or back when I was 19 but I Just didn't know anyone here then. If I were you and I had a friend out here I would give it a try. Either way it works out or not it will be something new, and a good learning experience. As far as the black thing I wouldn't worry, it's more of a younger generation here. Is white but I have a good friend that is black, and I never here him complain about being harassed, and he even rides a Harley
lol. Thanks for the encouragement. That is what a lot of people keep telling me. "YOu are young, do it now while you have no one to worry about but yourself" Its just a big move ya know. But i guess i can always come back if things do not work out.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM

31 posts, read 96,729 times
My family relocated here from Las Vegas in March. Do I regret it? No, absolutely not! I do however have a few "wish I had done it differently issues" but hindsight is 20/20...

My advice, troll craigslist and other job find type sites and look at whats available, and what the rate of pay is. I went from making 30.00 hr to 13.00 an hour in the accounting field, and from what I have seen thats "good" here.

If you can line up a job before you even head this direction, awesome! I have seen many posts of people out of work here for months.

As for your question about ethnicity, I work for a medical type non-profit agency and a vast majority of my co-workers are non-white, so I think you might be pleasantly surprised by the diversity of our lovely city.

I was planning to attend school too to finish my bachelors degree, but realized that to obtain residency (thus lower tuition costs) there are several requirements...I think they told me at UCCS, I had to wait 365 days after completing all the residency requirements...which were register your car, obtain a drivers license, obtain a job and pay state taxes, and being registered to vote...I am not sure if that was all or if I am slightly off, check with UCCS to find out more.

If you decide to move here, the area is beyond beautiful, the people are friendly, and there is plenty to do....

Mary

Old 09-03-2008, 12:17 AM

13 posts, read 28,444 times
Hi there, please let me know what you thought of co springs, I am also in vegas and hate it, looking to move and looking at different areas? I really think the whole skin color issue is not an issue at all, I have friends out there who are all different colors, its never an issue. I really think you will like it there, its a great place, Im not sure about the snow yet, lol

Old 09-04-2008, 04:07 PM

15 posts, read 83,731 times
You just made a GREAT point, LostinLife07. You can always move back.

I spent years trying to figure out if I should live in a different city, and now that I've moved here (and love it here) I realize that it's a great thing to do in life--live in another place. Even for a year or two. Chances are you'll learn, grow, and experience cool things. But the worst case scenario is that you tried it and moved back to what you already know.

Good luck! Make the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs