Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 AM

77 posts, read 352,449 times

Advertisements

We finally made our move to Fort Carson on Monday. We actually are living in Fountain. My son is enjoying his new school but upset cus this week is spring break. I decided to venture out a little and take him and our 21 month old to the zoo. I must say we all got a good work out! It was very beautifull up there. I saw two sites I would like to know what they are and how to get to them. Farther up on the mountain seems to be a castle. Is that someones house or is it open to the public and if so how do you get there. Also while standing by the elephants I could see what seem to be a beach. Does anyone have any information about that? Also on the drive home I took exit 132 off from I25, I think its called Fountain Mesa Ridge exit. Off to the right of the bridge was a lake where people were fishing. My family loves to fish. How do you get there? Are there any other good fishing places that are close? We dont mind driving 1/2 hr or so. Also do you need a fishing permitt to fish? Any other suggestions to get the kids out would be great also. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
1. That is the Will Rogers Shrine, built by Spencer Penrose. It is free entrance with your zoo admission, you can drive up to it from the zoo - just ask them about it when you go to the zoo. 2. Beach - maybe the Broadmoor golf courses or one of the lakes such as Quail Lake? I'm not sure. How far was it from the zoo? 3. The fishing area is part of Fountain Creek Regional Park system. To get there, exit from where you were onto highway 85 - it will be a right hand turn off of 85 very near the underpass. Further down the road is the main entrance to the part with the Nature Center. I would check before eating fish you catch there - I did hear they re-opened it, but there had been a problem several years ago where they stopped fishing due to some kind of contamination at those ponds. Fishing license - you can get that for cheap usually at someplace like Walmart or Kmart in the Sporting Goods section. We like to fish on the lakes up on Pikes Peak. Farther away, but also Eleven Mile Reservoir for fishing. If you've never driven the Pikes Peak highway to the top, that should be on your list of things to do.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 166,832 times
I wouldn't fish at Fountain Creek Regional Park. It's a nice place to go for a walk, but between the industrial chemicals released into the water a few years back, and the periodic sewage spills, it's really not a safe place to fish. A better option might be Quail Lake, which is only about 10 or 15 minutes away from Fountain. Just google maps "Quail Lake Colorado Springs" and you'll be set.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 AM

77 posts, read 352,449 times
Thanks for the quick replies. I did see the gates for the shrine at the zoo but didnt ask because we arrived there late and just wanted to get the zoo in. I know exactly where the nature center entrance is so we will be enjoying some walking there. Thanks for the advice about the fish. I would hate for one of us to get sick and we just got here. Are there signs on pikes peak for the fishing spots that were metioned?

Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 PM

76 posts, read 293,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplmr View Post
Are there signs on pikes peak for the fishing spots that were metioned?
Yes, there are signs. Pikes Peak Highway goes right by one of them - you CAN'T miss it, if you do you've probably driven off a cliff! The other one is a little off the main highway but definitely has signs. Here's more info:

City of Colorado Springs - Topic Pages

It's beautiful even if you don't fish!

Carrie

Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Some of my kid's favorites:

Woodland Park has a Dinosaur Resource Center. Just took our kids Friday.
If the weather is nice, the North Pole is fun (but print out the online coupons before you go).
For indoor fun, Pump It Up has "open play" times.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 PM

565 posts, read 1,847,990 times
Since you are military, you can use Farish Recreation Area owned by the AF Academy. It is just past Woodland Park but very beautiful with cabins and campsites available, 4 beautiful lakes for fishing with huge boulders sticking out, and hiking trails with views of the backside of Pikes Peak.

Farish Recreation Area Link: Home Page (http://www.usafaservices.com/orc/farish.htm - broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,894,623 times
Glen Eyrie is also a beautiful place to check out. It's just north of Garden of the Gods. I believe they let you drive through M-F for a $5 donation.
Glen Eyrie - Glen Eyrie - Christian Camps and Conferences

Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 AM

53 posts, read 204,973 times
Glen Eyrie - Glen Eyrie - Christian Camps and Conferences
That sounds really nice for kids also.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 AM

10 posts, read 26,688 times
Please don't waste your time at Quail Lake. The fishing isn't really choice. Eleven Mile is the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs