Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 PM

118 posts, read 445,023 times

Advertisements

Looking for pictures of the Discovery Canyon Campus

Also any information on the schools acedemics would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 11:06 PM

648 posts, read 2,940,938 times
Hey there- I don't have any pictures, but I have driven by there numerous times. It is a beautiful campus. I have heard great things about the school aswell. You can go to GreatSchools.net and in there they may have comments and more information for you.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity Florida View Post
Looking for pictures of the Discovery Canyon Campus

Also any information on the schools acedemics would be great
From a google image search

academy OR "colorado springs" "Discovery Canyon" - Google Image Search

Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM

118 posts, read 445,023 times
thanks to everyone who replied to all my posts we decided on pine creek and cant wait to get there in Jan THX EVERYONE

Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 AM

33 posts, read 160,950 times
Default Pine Creek

We live in the area and our kids go to Mountain View and to Challenger. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I love both schools for our kids.

D20 has "choice" schools, so if you wanted to try and get your children into Discovery Canyon instead of the Pine Creek schools even if you live in Pine Creek, it may be possible especially since you are coming in January. Do you already have a house with a contract? If you have a contract, they may let you choice them into another school before you actually get here.

Hope this helps!

Kristen

Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 PM

68 posts, read 280,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
"Keeping up with the Jones" would definitely be a good phrase...
Froggin4colorado, do you live in Flying Horse? We do! And I absolutely do not agree with your statement!! Flying Horse is great! So far, I have not met any Jones!!!! We have made so many friends and everyone is very "down-to-earth"! Lots of young families with kids going to Discovery Canyon. We live in the upper area of Flying Horse and enjoy wonderful views of Pikes Peak...the clubhouse is the best I have seen. It is spa like (actually there is a spa inside)...the outdoor pool and whirlpool are open and heated all year round. Last weekend they opened up the outdoor splash pool and the kids pool which has a fun slide. There are lifeguards, there is a kids nursery, and several restaurants (one of them has live music at weekends). The tennis program, swimming classes and summer camps are great! For Memorial Day they will have a pool party. All the staff is wonderful!!!
My kids go to Discovery Canyon and we have been very pleased! check out Discovery Canyon Campus - DCC Campus. The school offers tours...but I believe there are none during the summer break..and we finish on 5/28
We love being North of Colorado Springs....yes, it is true...there is not that much yet around us...but everywhere they start building..and everything looks new and nice We have a SuperTarget approx. 10 mins away...Loewe's just on the other side of Target, grocery stores approx. 10 - 15 mins. Tomorrow they are opening up a brand-new cinema approx. 10 mins away!! Another cinema is being build very near to the that one....I assume there will be restaurants being built around the cinemas....The Shops at Briargate are approx. 10-15 mins away (very nice shopping area with good restaurants). I25 is approx. 5 mins away and within 45 mins you are in Denver and in approx. 1 hour 15 mins at Denver Intl. Airport. Flying Horse backs up to Fox Run National Park which is absolute wonderful...there are nice trails, picnic tables, playgrounds, etc.

The only drawback - the backyards in Flying Horse (I am talking about the smaller lots..not the million dollars and plus lots) are small and the houses are near each other and therefore you do not have lots of privacy. But we have 3kids and for us it was important to live within a community....where we can go outside..ride the bikes and see the neighborhood kids! Last weekend we had a block party and the kids had a blast!
Flying Horse just started building the custom lots which are a million plus and of course much larger lots...

Sorry for the long posting! Just had to "get it out"....We absolute love it here! Jonna, I really encourage you to come and visit Flying Horse and take that tour of Discovery Canyon! Also, go and take a tour of our Clubhouse...you will be amazed

Old 08-17-2008, 04:24 PM

154 posts, read 432,191 times
Default Fencing Classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
My son really wants to take fencing lessons. I have done some searching in our area and have not found much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The Front Range Fencing Club offers weekly classes at Discovery Canyon Campus (D20). tel. 339 5495 or frontrangefencingclub@comcast.net

Hope that helps

Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM

154 posts, read 432,191 times
I completely agree with BrandiB. We also live in Flying Horse and love it. The club is great and the restaurants as well. The chefs are top-rated. And they have live music at the weekends. By the way, the outdoor pool and hottub are also salted. It is fun to use them when it snows...unfortunately they close them down when it gets below 16F...

We have 3 kids in Discovery Canyon and so far are very pleased with the school. Did you take a school tour while you visited the area? Their website is: Discovery Canyon Campus - DCC Campus. DCC has so much to offer..it is difficult to choose. Unfortunately, they do not list all the activities and clubs... but if you talk directly to the administrator he/she can tell you all about DCC.

We live in the same area as BrandiB (North of DCC). In our road almost everyone has kids and they all go to DCC. When it is nice ...especially at the weekend and in summer everyone is outside and plays.... or also after a snowblizzard! I know there are roads with less kids. There are some nice trails around the neighborhood.

We built with Vantage Homes and have been very pleased. They also offer an excellent customer service (but no parties )

By the way, there is also a Lifetimefitness center (a huge sports/fitness complex) being built approx. 10 mins from us....

There are only 2 negative things about Flying Horse in my opinion.... 1) there is not much privacy...the houses are close... but we choose to live here because we wanted to be able to walk to DCC (school)... 2) the roads within Flying Horse get really very icy after a snow blizzard.... nobody cleans them.... so, we always hope for the sun to come out asap to melt the ice... we have lots of sunshine here..so..normally the roads are clear within 24 - 48 hours.... but those first hours can be quite "a pain"..especially since our road is on a "hill".

Otherwise we love it here

Old 02-26-2009, 11:05 AM

109 posts, read 287,437 times
Discovery Canyon Campus (District 20) also offers an IB program for K-12. The school is located at the north end of Colorado Springs near the Air Force Academy. Hopefully, they'll let me post a link to DCC's website.

Discovery Canyon Campus - DCC 9-12

Old 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM

9 posts, read 44,262 times
We moved to CO several years ago from AZ. Our kids were accepted quite warmly. D20 (the school district for Flying Horse) teaches character education which helps the kids accept each other. We almost bought in Flying Horse but we are relocating out of state. We absolutely loved the subdivision and all it has to offer. There are some great deals if you buy from the builder (cheaper than the resales). Lots of walking/biking trails, parks, etc in the subdivision. Lots of families with old and young kids. The pool and spa there make a great social centerpiece to meet neighbors and for the kids to see friends from their school (in the neighborhood). I grew up in Northern CA and though Colorado Springs is a small town in comparison, the people here are so much more REAL. Not snobby, cliquish and not trying to constantly out do one another. There is plenty of shopping and conveniences and when you cant find what you need, south Denver is 40 minute drive from Flying Horse (nothing compared to SO. CA driving, right???!). By the way, Discovery Canyon is a great school and the whole complex goes from K-12 (or will within the next yr or two). That was a big draw for us wanting to move to Flying Horse. If you decide to move, you need to make sure you have job security. Depending on your profession, it could be a tough job search if you get downsized. Oh, and the only other big shocker if you move here from CA is the altitude and dryness. The humidity in the air (or lack of) is a HUGE shocker if you are used to coastal CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs