Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 961 times

Advertisements

I totally agree I am experience server and 53 having same problem. I think I will try breakfast they need us reliables to open at 6am after the 20 somethings will just be going to bed lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:42 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbowden View Post
Thanks RP. I already leave off my post-graduate degree......but, I'm not 19 or 20 and don't think I could pass for early 30's which is what they want.

Something will open up. Gotta keep the faith......
I got my undergraduate in HR. I've studied extensively in management and worked in recruiting for non-profits. I can assure you, contrary to what has been said, being over qualified is not a risk in this job market. ONLY over qualified candidates are being hired due to the high unemployment. Companies are looking for senior engineers to do junior engineer jobs at junior engineer wages.

Quite simply put a master's degree puts you at the front of the pack in fighting for low level jobs. They aren't concerned that someone will be gone tomorrow. When I graduate at the top of my class I quickly learned that every store out there wanted me to work their cash register, even if I was applying for something that fit my skill set.

You will not be turned away for being over qualified. You could have executive experience and you would be called by a McDonald's to be a shift supervisor. The employer market has become very greedy and expects people to take jobs that are vastly below their qualifications.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,860,549 times
Default Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbowden View Post
Greetings all!

After trying unsuccessfully to get any job in the last year I've decided to go back to serving, something I did while putting myself thru college.

Are there any restaurants that value what an older person can bring to their business? A lifetime of excellent customer service, the ability to foresee and quickly solve problems, no personal drama, etc.

I believe I would be an asset to any business but how to get someone to see beyond the age? I'm friendly, take care of my looks and willing to work hard.

Any suggestions? Insights?

Thanks!
Age discrimation is alive and well, and very hard to prove. It may be illegal, but that's a joke - no one gets caught at it.

I too, believe and know that I'm an asset, but fat lot of good that is. I'm past caring - this morning I sent an email to someone who responded to my resume, telling them that in the interest of not wasting anyone's time, I was older. I'm tired of preparing for interviews only to see shock at the "mature" individual who shows up at an interview. If I sound bitter, it's because I am.

I wish you good luck in your search - I was in the restaurant business for many years, and it didn't get any easier as I got older. I admire you're willingness to go back to it. There are a lot of mom and pop type places in this town (especially on the westside) and I think those might be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs