Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:02 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,189,270 times

Advertisements

From somone who grew up around Oklahoma City and now lives in Wichita, how would you compare the winters to CS? As I read these boards everyone thinks their summers are the hottest and winters are the worst. I always visit Colorado in the summer and not winter. The tendancy is to think that Colorado/CS is cold and snowy all winter long. But I noticed from watching the weather channel, many days are actually warmer there than here. Is this typical? Some have said that the Springs don't get that much snow. How accurate is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
I would say we get more snow than OKC, most likely. But no ice storms here.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
As I read these boards everyone thinks their summers are the hottest and winters are the worst.
Colorado Springs gets less snow than Denver and both get less snow than Chicago. I can't compare our winters to OKC or Wichita because I have never lived nor even visited either.

I will say that we are having some up and down weather right now that in normal years is more like it was last winter. Much more snow...though we seem to be having more cold this winter (starting in Oct) than what is considered normal.

C Springs has the benefit of not being in a valley and being higher in elevation, we remain in the sun quite a bit and some say more sunshine than Miami.

There are 8 threads about weather in C Springs if you scroll down located here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ics-photo.html

If you can't find the information you are truly seeking from there, pop back in this thread and see if someone can answer more specifically.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,513,511 times
Currently this season we are a little above "normal" for precipitation/snow, and significantly more so in Pueblo than in Colorado Springs. Last year, we were below normal at this point in the season. December in particular was colder than "normal" in this region. All in all, this has been a fairly typical Colorado Springs winter.

Coloradoweatherman » This is an El Nino year. How is that affecting our rain/snow?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:23 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
It's snowing!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM

I work as a driver for Fedex and the job allows me to transfer virutally anywhere. My concern with Colorado Springs isn't the snow. Virtually all the areas I'm looking at transferring receive snow in the winter. I've read websites saying winters can avg between 40-60 inches of snow a year. I don't love being out driving in the snow but a lot depends on how well the city handles the snow. What do you think? How well equipped in CS to handle snow? Do people get shut it for days at a time?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
No, only get shut in if we get a very large snowfall, usually a foot or more, but that is not very often, though some outlying areas may get that 1-2 times per year, and it can vary from year to year. The city does a fine job on the main streets and most snows usually melt out quickly on the streets. IMO, you have very little to worry about here .... unless your route takes you up to higher elevations like Woodland Park, Divide, Cripple Creek, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:08 AM
SYS

339 posts, read 1,171,877 times
Whatever the level of snow we get in CS, the sun tends to melt away by noon next day...

Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 12,148 times
Hi Knrstz
Mike is right!-I work for Old Dominion out of Fountain,so Im driver like you.We do delivery and Pick up many times in Woodland P,Cripple Creek and many more other little places around,some times just the wet in lower elevations,and higher you have to go turn in snow and ice.Just take time!!!!I love my two frends mr Right and left Tire Chains!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:30 PM

I think what I'm really looking for is a place with an overall mild climate without moving to the coasts. I've experienced Colorado summers and they are wonderful compared to KS/OK/FL...all places I've lived. Several people I know from the area say they feel the cold in Wichita this year was much worse than anything they felt in Colorado. I am aware that anywhere you can have storms, heatwaves, etc. But it sounds to me like if you are moving from so cal, the weather might be tough to deal with. If you are moving from the south/midwest and don't mind 30-50 degrees, then the weather can be very nice. thanks for everyones input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs