Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,257 times

Advertisements

If the opportunity to work from home, you might enjoy the San Luis valley. In studying it elsewhere on this forum you will see that it is one of the less developed and more traditional places in Colorado. A fair amount of farming and ranching, with most businesses serving the local populace. The ambience would be distinctly different from PDX. So would the weather, with lots of sun, little humidity, cold winters and warm summers. Alamosa is particularly known for its climate, being more extreme.

Alamosa is also the the largest town in the valley, and from anywhere else one would likely visit it at times for shopping. Whether choosing it as home more a question of chemistry. Places such as La Jara may prove too small, but communities like Monte Vista and Del Norte are possible. None of these are in the mountains, the San Luis valley being rather large. But they might have the right feel. If the mountains, and Alamosa only visited occasionally, then the smaller towns of South Fork and Creede also possible. While all these towns are fairly traditional, South Fork and Creede see some tourism, primarily in the summer, so a bit more cosmopolitan. In every case local business opportunities will be limited and a challenge.

The possibility of owning land is a less daunting proposition than many other areas of western Colorado. It tends to be more expensive in the mountains, but still less than the popular resort areas, etc. If not directly near a town it might be considered a bargain in instances, and there is a lot of territory to choose from. Just know that the factors will be different from western Oregon, water for one, most particularly.

As far as I know there isn't a Whole Foods market anywhere in the valley. The closest would be either Colorado Springs, CO or Santa Fe, NM. While they grow potatoes and other mono crops in the valley, farmers markets are likely not as prevalent or sumptuous as in many west coast towns. Gardening on one's own is possible, with excellent results for at least some types of vegetables, such as corn and beans, but keep in mind that even low-lying Alamosa has an elevation of 7,500 feet. What this should indicate is that one doesn't choose to live in the San Luis valley for shopping. No kidding, better shopping and nightlife, etc. will be found in relatively small Taos, NM.

On the other hand, it is a place that retains many of the better aspects of what Colorado was elsewhere. That in itself may be reason enough, and a fine home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
I don't necessarily think you are going to find what you are looking for in rural Colorado. The service economy in rural Colorado is rapidly turning to shambles, local and state government is or will shortly be broke (including the school systems), and development has driven meaningful agriculture out of many of areas west of the Front Range.

I would agree that the San Luis Valley offers probably the most intact agricultural community, cohesive small towns, and less despoiled surrounding landscape in Colorado west of the Front Range, but it has remained that way for a reason. It can be brutally cold in winter, the summer season is short (growing season about 130 days or less), and the valley itself is a high desert. Culturally, it is predominantly Hispanic--with mostly old-line Hispanic families that have been there for generations. If Utah was not to your tastes because of the large LDS population, you will likely find the SLV uncomfortable. A large percentage of the Anglo population is LDS, especially in the southern end of the SLV, from Alamosa south. As I have posted many times before, the SLV is definitely an acquired taste--people generally either love it or hate it.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,277,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klouri View Post
I want to get away from the OVERT liberalism in the state of Oregon. It's just become too much for me. I am a single mother with no extended family, very conservative politically and socially.

My son knows how to think for himself so he doesn't need to be told what is and isn't "acceptable" socially. The school system in Oregon is generally the opposite and considers the parent (for the most part) superfluous abomination.

No problem. I can totally understand wanting to get away from certain overwhelming mentalities. Fair play, but to say your son knows how to think for himself at 14 is beyond ridiculous. He is 14 and extremely impressionable as evidence in your teachings.

come on now....

Anyway, good luck on your search!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM

20 posts, read 59,854 times
Kapetrich,

I'm not sure I understand your meaning so let me clarify mine.

While you have no idea what my son does and does not know or that he does, in fact, know how to 'think for himself' as evidenced by his exemplary decisions in more than a few extremely difficult/strenuous circumstances placed on him in a horrid and abusive past situation, and even a few medical emergencies our family has endured in the past several years, your statement is presumptuous at best.

Additionally he stands up to continuous peer pressure exerted by children even older than him who ought to know better but unfortunately have not had the benefit of actual parenting and loving, time-consuming discipline but rather unlimited access to the constant barrage of what can only be described as completely inappropriate media (movies, music, television, et al.) that "most" families allow in their homes and lives today. I write MOST because I do not want to PRESUME ALL nor make a completely sweeping generalization, however, the majority of families we know (hundreds) MOSTLY operate blindly allowing MOST media to influence their children and even themselves to their detriment - divorce is rampant, child molestation more prevalent than one would imagine, teenage pregnancy and/or abortion out of control, high school drop-out rate growing higher, younger children getting into more serious trouble - and these are upper, middle class, many also "faith-based" families. (I am a single [familial] adoptive mother of two, the eldest of which is now out on his own, for the record. Our family is not a divorce statistic.)

What I did not say, nor allude to, is that my son is grown, fully mature, ready to work, start a family or run for congress, but that I would prefer a school system for him which takes into account the fact that the MAIN responisbility for teaching a child belongs to a PARENT and NOT the govt. That, while teachers are important, their (paid) JOBS are teach to the basic, fundamentals of education and NOT spend inordinate amounts of classtime trying to PERSUADE children toward any certain social, political, sexual or environmental bent, REGARDLESS of what the prevailing ideology in the home is.

Thank you for your well wishes just the same - I will take them heartily into account as I go about my search for our new home and I wish you all the best, as well.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Well definitely give us an update where you settle and how it goes.

Cheers.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 AM

99 posts, read 180,853 times
I think most people in business forget the "personal" part in service. I don’t often return to a business that does not provide good customer service and quality work. The devil is in the details. I will even pay more for the same service if I have received what I consider great service. I grade the business thoroughly from the very onset of my visit through the transaction and support.
I think most people do settle, unfortunately, for mediocrity. For example, people who shop at walmart regularly don’t differentiate very well. But, those customers that do differentiate well and find out what real service and quality are will return, again and again.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:18 AM

148 posts, read 224,047 times
Quote:
...........While you have no idea what my son does and does not know or that he does, in fact, know how to 'think for himself' as evidenced by his exemplary decisions in more than a few extremely difficult/strenuous circumstances placed on him in a horrid and abusive past situation, and even a few medical emergencies our family has endured in the past several years, your statement is presumptuous at best.

Additionally he stands up to continuous peer pressure exerted by children even older than him who ought to know better but unfortunately have not had the benefit of actual parenting and loving, time-consuming discipline but rather unlimited access to the constant barrage of what can only be described as completely inappropriate media (movies, music, television, et al.) that "most" families allow in their homes and lives today. I write MOST because I do not want to PRESUME ALL nor make a completely sweeping generalization, however, the majority of families we know (hundreds) MOSTLY operate blindly allowing MOST media to influence their children and even themselves to their detriment - divorce is rampant, child molestation more prevalent than one would imagine, teenage pregnancy and/or abortion out of control, high school drop-out rate growing higher, younger children getting into more serious trouble - and these are upper, middle class, many also "faith-based" families. (I am a single [familial] adoptive mother of two, the eldest of which is now out on his own, for the record. Our family is not a divorce statistic.)

What I did not say, nor allude to, is that my son is grown, fully mature, ready to work, start a family or run for congress, but that I would prefer a school system for him which takes into account the fact that the MAIN responisbility for teaching a child belongs to a PARENT and NOT the govt. That, while teachers are important, their (paid) JOBS are teach to the basic, fundamentals of education and NOT spend inordinate amounts of classtime trying to PERSUADE children toward any certain social, political, sexual or environmental bent, REGARDLESS of what the prevailing ideology in the home is.

Thank you for your well wishes just the same - I will take them heartily into account as I go about my search for our new home and I wish you all the best, as well.
That was beautifully articulated. We are witnessing the willful destruction of the institutions of civilization right before our eyes. Can't blame you for wanting to find a place where that decay may be slower. The western slope may be a harder life, but I'll bet you can handle it. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Kapetrich,

I'm not sure I understand your meaning so let me clarify mine.

While you have no idea what my son does and does not know or that he does, in fact, know how to 'think for himself' as evidenced by his exemplary decisions in more than a few extremely difficult/strenuous circumstances placed on him in a horrid and abusive past situation, and even a few medical emergencies our family has endured in the past several years, your statement is presumptuous at best.

I took what you said incorrectly, obviously. Thanks for clearing it up.

Good luck on your search. I *think* I've found my location for years to come and I hope you do as well!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
We are witnessing the willful destruction of the institutions of civilization right before our eyes.
Wow. Just Wow.......

Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 AM

20 posts, read 59,854 times
Kapetrich: That's great news and I wish you all the very best in your new hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado