Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM

42 posts, read 87,288 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Colorado in the next yr and Im a Nurse, EMT, Paramedic, and Massage Therapist, so finding work wont be that difficult, as I've already had a few offers.

I wanting to hear from others what the Nursing job situation is like in the state? I've had a response on a prev thread that stated there is no Nurse shortage in the state, but I've visited most of the major med ctrs and all had a multitude of opening available , so I'm looking to hear from others.

I'll be visiting a couple times this yr in a couple months, then again in the Fall to get a feel for what areas I like the best, as I've yet to chose a town/city to live in.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Katiana can probably answer for the Front Range areas, but in rural Colorado many hospitals and clinics are cutting employee work hours and instituting hiring freezes. I've dealt with two different county hospitals in the last two months. Both are in the same boat--patient counts down, people postponing or canceling any non-essential surgeries, etc. The crunch is on.

I think nursing in Colorado is probably like most other jobs right now. The people that have them are holding onto them for dear life, hoping they don't get hit with a layoff. The people who don't have jobs are not having a happy time of it.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Katiana can probably answer for the Front Range areas, but in rural Colorado many hospitals and clinics are cutting employee work hours and instituting hiring freezes. I've dealt with two different county hospitals in the last two months. Both are in the same boat--patient counts down, people postponing or canceling any non-essential surgeries, etc. The crunch is on.

I think nursing in Colorado is probably like most other jobs right now. The people that have them are holding onto them for dear life, hoping they don't get hit with a layoff. The people who don't have jobs are not having a happy time of it.
That's what struck me as odd cause "KAT" is the one who told me in another forum that there were no Nursing jobs in Denver or CO for that matter. But when I looked on some of the Hospitals sites they appeared to be hiring, as they had pos's listed.

But like u said they may have the need but be in a hiring freeze.

Funny thing is the Govt put all that money out there to stim jobs, and even at a VA hosp I worked and Vol at they have a big need for Nurse staff, but are on a hiring freeze. Here it is our own Govt telling everyone else to hire folks yet they aren't even hiring people, I'm beginning to believe we are in more trouble than they let on. Thank goodness I get a nice investment blanket!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,670,235 times
I have a relative working as a nurse in Grand Junction and I know it is very up and down at the moment. Vail I know has a number of nursing jobs posted.

I think the best thing is just try to find a job first and then go from there if you like the local area.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I seriously doubt I said NO nursing jobs in Denver. What I did say (this is from memory, but I've said the same many times) is that it's more difficult to get a job here in metro Denver than some other parts of the country. There are lots of people moving here, even in this economy. There has never been a serious "nursing shortage" here, even back in the early 80s, when there was a shortage just about everywhere else in the country. You will probably find a job, but it may take you longer than it has in previous locations. OTOH, you may just walk into something. You never know.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I seriously doubt I said NO nursing jobs in Denver. What I did say (this is from memory, but I've said the same many times) is that it's more difficult to get a job here in metro Denver than some other parts of the country. There are lots of people moving here, even in this economy. There has never been a serious "nursing shortage" here, even back in the early 80s, when there was a shortage just about everywhere else in the country. You will probably find a job, but it may take you longer than it has in previous locations. OTOH, you may just walk into something. You never know.
"One thing we will all tell you is there is no real "nursing shortage" here, and it may be harder to get a job than other places you have lived."

This was your quote, while it doesn't say no jobs it's what came across. I wasn't trying to make u sound like an pessimist I'm just looking for additional input. U told me no shortage and finding a job would be very difficult, as u ref ur daughter i believe and friends having trouble finding FT work I think i recall, so it was painting a bleak pic, so after I got ur response I went into research mode looked up the local area hosp's and indeed they are apparently in need of many Nurses, but as the previous poster stated that it appears most are in a hiring freeze.

And I believe I posted that must be what u were ref as though a facility may be in need they may not be hiring. I've had a couple offers from smaller facilities in the area and head hunters, all want u to be in the area before shoring up a job, which is a bit unusual as I've dealt w/ head hunters before and all would do tele conference interviews or fly u out to them or u fly yourself out to shore up the job, and if your hired then u have "X" amt of weeks days to get out there, and sometimes they'll even put u up in a condo for a period until u get settled.

I've met a few ladies online that have recently relocated to the Denver, Boulder, and Co Springs area some new RN grads some not all said they walk into jobs, one however stated she wanted to find the perfect job before just grabbing one, but all said they had no issues w/ interview. Though most were as u stated initially offered PT pos, but when they turned them down were quickly offered FT work.

I realize everything is a case by case basis, so I'm just looking for other opin's out there, if your the only Nurse that per oozes these boards then I guessing I'm going to have to go by what I'm getting form other sources combined w/ your input.

Just so were clear I wasn't trying to throw u under the bus as if u were this Nursing Oger as if u were stating there are no jobs, but u post did paint a bleak pic of the medical job market out there.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Sorry you misinterpreted me. I stated my experience, after almost 30 years here. People on this board are trying to help. Do not try to overanalyze what is said.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:32 PM

I guess research should in the future trump word of mouth, as just a simple google search found this

http://www.denvernursingstar.com/newsletter/newsletter_view.asp?active=1&catid=102&mode=curren t&newsid=753 (broken link).

Thanks for the help folks

Old 01-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sorry you misinterpreted me. I stated my experience, after almost 30 years here. People on this board are trying to help. Do not try to overanalyze what is said.
But sometimes those here actually dont know what they are talking about so u have to sift thru those that say they know vs those that do, funny thing just turned up was this.

Colorado faces nursing shortage : Denver Nursing Star

Old 01-24-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Ryan View Post
But sometimes those here actually dont know what they are talking about so u have to sift thru those that say they know vs those that do, funny thing just turned up was this.

Colorado faces nursing shortage : Denver Nursing Star
From the link:

The average age of nurses nationally is 45 – in Colorado it’s 47, which means many nurses will soon retire. The shortage also has had an impact on nurses in the workplace. According to the study, 17 percent of nurses in Colorado today do not expect to be practicing in five years.

In this entire article, there are no stats about any nursing shortage in any Colorado hospital. ". . . will soon retire". They haven't retired yet, apparently. Some of these nurses have at least 20 more years to work. "Do not expect to be practicing in five years" doesn't mean anything. Ten years ago, I might have said that; then my kids went off to college and here I am.

BTW, I used to get that publication, but then they wanted me to sign up to keep getting it, and I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado