Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

I've skied Copper many times and when we went this past spring w/ 2 other families (their first time to Copper) and we stayed at a house in The Masters. You CAN walk back to the houses there but you can't just walk out the door and down the slopes you go. It is a hike though to walk back to if carrying all of your ski gear. We will be staying in Lewis Ranch this next spring so that we can REALLy ski-in/out. We also have kids w/ us and the little ones that still need ski school can just zip down the mountain skiing w/ mom or dad and mom/dad can take the lift back up and ski back to the house and we won't have to hassle w/ cars and parking. We loved the house we had over in The Masters as it was plenty big for all of us and the kids. Everyone had their own room (well, 3 of the smallest shared a bunk room) and bathroom. When one just looked at the price of the house it does seem expensive but it was actually cheaper than 3 different 2 and 3 bedroom condos. Plus, we had a big kitchen for all of us to cook and eat in. Harder to plan like that if you are all broken up into different condos.

Skip Breckinridge. It is not the best mountain for beginners AND it is VERY spread out. You can find homes and condos that are ski-in/out but it is not near as accomodating as what you have experienced at Copper.

Vial is great as well.

Check into Keystone as there are some homes there that are ski-in/out. One area is called River Run and Mountain House. Don't stay over at the Village where the ice rink is located (it is not ski-in/out).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 10:43 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
Dryz, I don't know where you live, but you might want to check out ski clubs in your area. Some of the biggest collections of them are in GA, FL and TX. I joined one when I started skiing at 40 because my wife didn't want to accompany me on ski trips, she'd rather use her vacation for something else. I moved from TX to CO 3 years ago but still ski with my old friends for several reasons;

1. I've been skiing with some of these guys and gals for 20 years.

2. I know that there will be someone that I know on every trip. This makes it easy to pick a room mate and condo mates as well as assuring that there will be plenty of people who like the same terrain (steep and deep) as me and the same length of ski day (first run to shut down)

3. I always thought the ski club didn't get that much better a deal on condos or airline tickets than I did, but they assured that I didn't have to worry about putting the trip together and then one couple can't go at the last minute, or someone loses their job and starts crawfishing on paying me.

4. The one good deal that groups can always get is LIFT TICKETS. Typically on a week long stay (6 ski days) club members are paying about ONE HALF of "rack rate". This isn't as big a deal now on the Vail Resorts places as you don't have to live in CO to buy them, but when I'm going somewhere other than their locations I generally go with the club.

Just some thoughts.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Dryz, I don't know where you live, but you might want to check out ski clubs in your area. Some of the biggest collections of them are in GA, FL and TX. I joined one when I started skiing at 40 because my wife didn't want to accompany me on ski trips, she'd rather use her vacation for something else. I moved from TX to CO 3 years ago but still ski with my old friends for several reasons;

1. I've been skiing with some of these guys and gals for 20 years.

2. I know that there will be someone that I know on every trip. This makes it easy to pick a room mate and condo mates as well as assuring that there will be plenty of people who like the same terrain (steep and deep) as me and the same length of ski day (first run to shut down)

3. I always thought the ski club didn't get that much better a deal on condos or airline tickets than I did, but they assured that I didn't have to worry about putting the trip together and then one couple can't go at the last minute, or someone loses their job and starts crawfishing on paying me.

4. The one good deal that groups can always get is LIFT TICKETS. Typically on a week long stay (6 ski days) club members are paying about ONE HALF of "rack rate". This isn't as big a deal now on the Vail Resorts places as you don't have to live in CO to buy them, but when I'm going somewhere other than their locations I generally go with the club.

Just some thoughts.
You're right on the ski clubs usually getting the best deals for their members. I still belong to the Midland club I joined over 30 years ago, though I had been away from skiing for so long until last year.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:10 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
It's funny Kathy when I tell people that I'm a member of Space City Ski Club in Houston, I get some funny looks, and questions; "Where do you ski in Houston?"

Old 10-11-2010, 12:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
It's funny Kathy when I tell people that I'm a member of Space City Ski Club in Houston, I get some funny looks, and questions; "Where do you ski in Houston?"
LOL!!

I'll be getting back to CO skiing this upcoming season, and I cannot wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado