Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:11 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,679 times

Advertisements

Is there a site anywhere that shows visually which mountains are visible from Denver? There's all kinds of maps and lists of the tallest peaks but I'm more curious about telling which are which from what you can see.

For example Mount Evans and Long's peak are fairly obvious, as is Pike's peak, but there are a number of other tall snow capped mountains between those that I have no idea which ones those are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:33 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,244 times
Don't know but,....Jazzlover probably knows them all!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,674 times
Go to
Hey What's That (It uses google earth, so you can likely do it from there if you know how to work with google earth)

Click get a new panorama

enter a location
(as an example, I used 1437 Bannock, the Denver City and County Bldng and clicked on go to highest point within 100 ft)

Give it a title

After a minute or two, you'll see a small silhouette with lots of clickable red points; click on one - the list of all visible peaks will show up.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:09 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,467,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Don't know but,....Jazzlover probably knows them all!!!
Well, not really. There are number of books out there that talk about Colorado's prominent peaks, and some of them have panoramic photos showing them with names. I don't have access to my bookshelf right now, or I could give you some titles.

Something you might check out are these panoramic paintings by James Niehues ( James Niehues - Map Artist ~ James Niehues Poster ~ Ski Map Posters ~ Jim's Ski resort prints ). He lived in Grand Junction for a number of years and began painting these panoramas sort of as a hobby. His specialty is ski area maps, but he also has painted panoramas of areas, too. I remember one he did years ago (all of this before electronic digital elevation maps--"DEM's" became the rage) of the Front Range around Denver, which I believe had many of the major peaks named. I don't see it on his website now.

There is a panoromic photographic poster out there that shows much of the Colorado Front Range with major peaks labeled ( Boulder Map Gallery: Wall Maps - Colorado - Colorado Frontrange Panoramic ). You will need a long wall to display it . . .

As noted, Google Earth is another option, though some computer systems and ISP's will choke on it if you try to do too much. (Google Maps has also been having some serious issues with that--I've almost quit using it since it crashes so often--this on several different pretty high-end computers that I use.)

Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,993 times
Thanks for the tips!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,999,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Go to
Hey What's That (It uses google earth, so you can likely do it from there if you know how to work with google earth)

Click get a new panorama

enter a location
(as an example, I used 1437 Bannock, the Denver City and County Bldng and clicked on go to highest point within 100 ft)

Give it a title

After a minute or two, you'll see a small silhouette with lots of clickable red points; click on one - the list of all visible peaks will show up.
This worked out pretty well --

Thanks

Old 01-29-2012, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 48,520 times
I have a hand drawn panorama of the front range from the roof of the Denver Museum on Natural History created by my grandmother and great aunt and published jointly with the Museum and the Colorado Mountain Club. I am sure it has been out of print for many years. I may look to get it reissued if there is enough interest.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:40 AM

118 posts, read 310,542 times
There's an App for iPhones and Android devices that uses GPS info and lets you simply point the device at what you're looking at then compiles a panorama profile with peak names. It's called Peak Finder.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 53,983 times
This is a pretty good one.
http://www.pikespeakphoto.com/aerial...t_range_2.html

Old 02-15-2013, 11:49 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,993 times
Also there are also apps - Peak AR, and something about a mountain, it will come up if you search for Peak AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado