Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:20 AM

944 posts, read 3,955,179 times

Advertisements

I'm no expert but my personal guess is that the entire interior northwest, from northern New Mexico to the Okanagan Valley in WA, is all going to be "hot" in the long term for real estate. It's beautiful, the climates are varied but relatively nice, there's a ton of open space, and the rest of the nation is getting too crowded and overpriced. I think Grand Junction and Montrose are especially ripe for ongoing growth, it's got too much going for it and so few people! But that's only my personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,319 times
Default Grand Junction Mont Delta

Hi Im responding to the comment about a good real estate investment in Montrose--- Ive lived in Grand Juntion about 17 years and just recently moved to Texas-- But I think you prob should check out delta before you do montrose-- montrose has already had its big boom and delta is sure to be next on the list-- its slightly closer to grand junction and with all the new oil companies coming in I think delta will be the next big good investment --

Old 10-31-2006, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,555 times
Look in the Western Colorado forum for my opinion- and, do take what I've said seriously.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,310 times
I currently Live in Grand Junction and have for about 10 years. I love it here but see that the crime IS getting worse. We have a huge meth problem here and due to the high drug use we are seeing an increase in violent crimes. Obviously there are certain areas of town that are worse than others as with any city but unfortunately the meth use knows no bounds and is in virtually every neighborhood at this time. The local authorities are doing everything they can to get this under control and are making progress but it is a slow process. There are a lot of reasons to live here if drugs are not a concern, it is beautiful here and the majority of the people here are decent people. There is still a small town feel (for the moment) yet there are plenty of things to do for recreation. If you like to spend a lot of time out doors youll love it here.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM

642 posts, read 2,552,848 times
Im in Washington State and we have the biggest meth problem around. I was scared away from GJ when I watched some news bits with a couple on meth there. All the major warning signs that it will be a huge problem. BUT they seem to be tackling it head on so maybe things wont be so bad. Just keep an eye out. Buying property without it being tested for meth contamination is foolish and the fact it has to be done is a huge warning.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:18 AM

11 posts, read 55,466 times
Grand Junction is a great place. The crime rate has risen and it has a direct correllation to the methamphetamine problem as 90% of the inmates in the county jail are users (check the Sentinel for the report).

Right now GJ is a boom town, you have a HUGE influx of oil and gas workers as well as the construction trade, which often brings with it some of the problems that have been outlined.

That said, my 80+ year old grandparents live in Palisade and I don't worry about their safety or property. If you are truly concerned buy yourself a firearm.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 AM

5 posts, read 24,197 times
I have lived here most of my life and while I would rather live in a warmer year round state, as I hate snow, I think it is a very nice community. I do agree, there have been substantial reports about meth use on the news lately, but I believe it depends on where you live, and your family, if you will see any of it. And I think the authorities are taking the probelm very seriously and doing absolutely everything to get it under control. I can't say that I have seen anything, personally, besides what is covered on the news.

The comment about meth contamination when buying property....UH....I have never heard of such a thing, and I am buying property all the time. No one has ever mentioned it to me. Where are you from Coltoncity???

As far as the workforce, there is a HUGE flux of gas and oil workers and as such, most of the local businesses are hiring ALL the time. I believe our unemployment rate has dropped tremendously and continues to go down as more workers head to the oil fields.

We are definitely expanding all the time and getting new franchises and others businesses popping up every day. But are still not quite as large as some of the Denver communities and continue to have the small town atmosphere.

If you are looking for a "not-so-big-not-too-small" place to live, GJ is a great choice.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Grand Junction is pretty much "paradise lost." I still have family and friends in the area and most of them are dismayed about what is happening. Some history: Grand Junction has always been a significant trade center for western Colorado. It has boomed and busted several times. It boomed during the "uranium boom" in the 1950's and busted when that ended. It boomed again in the late 1970's with the oil shale boom and crashed when that ended in 1982. It took fully 10 years to recover from that. Now it's booming with oil and gas drilling (mostly gas) again, plus an influx of transplants trying to find "paradise" away from wherever they came. How long will this one last? Your guess is as good as mine.

Simply stated, Grand Junction is growing TOO fast. A friend who worked there for years says it best, "It's a city with all of the problems of a big city, but none of the amenities." Up to pretty recently, Grand Junction used to be a relatively safe town . That has changed. It has real big city crime problems now--yes, many drug-related, but problems nonetheless. Traffic is also getting to be a problem.

The population of the Grand Junction area has exploded in the last few years. Comments from anyone who hasn't been in Grand Junction recently should be taken with a grain of salt--the place has really changed. By the way, I don't live there, but was just there two weeks ago.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:29 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
I love GJ. Crime is everywhere in every community etc...

My parents retired there about 10 years ago and love it. It has alot of retirees moving there due to the weather etc... It's NOT in the middle of NOWHERE! in 45 minutes you can be in Moab or Glenwood springs. Vail is 3 hours away. Durango is close. YOu are close enough to acess all that the Rockies have to offer without the severe weather.

The redlands is a beautiful location, my parents have a view of the monument in htier backyard....breathtaking.

It's a good size town and has great medical care, a college for sports and plays, and a neat thriving downtown area. Tons of golf etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado