Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 AM

355 posts, read 1,403,898 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about buying a season pass at Loveland ski resort because its closest to Denver..... im just wondering how it compares to other mountains such as vail/breck/???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,768 times
I love Loveland.

It is a lot smaller than Vail/Breck. Loveland is a ski "area", as opposed to a "resort". It has a dirt parking lot (free), a cafeteria, a basic shop, a bar, and that's about it. No hotels, shops, or restaurants. Because of that, it's mostly a local's place, so the vibe is much more low-key and laid back. There are rarely any lift lines (I think the longest I've ever waited on a weekend is m-a-y-b-e 1 minute. Loveland is also the closest ski area to Denver. While you'll still get caught in traffic during peak season, at least you don't have to go through the tunnel, and that saves some hassle. From western Denver (e.g. Lakewood, Golden), it's about 45 minutes to the parking lot.

And now to the most important aspects -- the terrain. The terrain is great. It's mostly above tree-line, and they do have some steep stuff. The runs aren't the longest, but they're a lot of fun. The Ridge has awesome skiing from the top of the Continental Divide. While there are marked runs, Loveland is all about finding your own lines and stashes. The snow is plentiful (Loveland gets the most snow of the I-70 ski areas).

Loveland also has a very long season -- they usually open a WROD (white ribbon of death -- one run with man-made snow) in mid October, and close in May.

The main downside of Loveland is the wind -- it can get brutally windy there. And with the slow chairs, you can freeze your butt off. Secondly, since it is a smaller area, the runs aren't the longest. If you ski/ride mostly greens or even blues, you may get bored after a while. But if you're a strong/adventurous intermediate (or better) skier/rider, then you can keep finding lines to last a long time.

I'm sure you've checked out their website: Loveland Ski Area

Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,138 times
I second what Fuzz said. When we lived in the Denver area, we skied Loveland more often than anywhere else.

As telemark skiers, we found lots of varied and fun blue runs, and were able to get in as much skiing as our legs could handle. Lines were sometimes a little more than 1 minute, but seldom much longer. The cafeteria was reasonably priced & it was easy to meet back up with your friends for lunch.

During the week, we could get to Loveland from the Ken Caryl area in about 45-50 minutes. Weekends were a different matter. Unfortunately, I assume the traffic has only gotten worse in the 8 years since we moved away from the I-70 corridor.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 PM

nice thanks for info i think this is where im going to get my season pass......sounds like what im looking for......all ski areas are boarder friendly now correct?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokE420 View Post
nice thanks for info i think this is where im going to get my season pass......sounds like what im looking for......all ski areas are boarder friendly now correct?

Slightly unrelated, but if you want a place to learn and good for kids and inexpensive then check out Ski Cooper. No really hard (real black diamonds) terrain though. Free parking. Excellent ski school for kids including a hot lunch.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Slightly unrelated, but if you want a place to learn and good for kids and inexpensive then check out Ski Cooper. No really hard (real black diamonds) terrain though. Free parking. Excellent ski school for kids including a hot lunch.
But if he's coming from Denver, it hardly makes sense to pass up Loveland to go all the way to Cooper.

SmokE420, another thing about Loveland is that if you take three lessons (first lesson must be a beginner lesson), then you get a free season pass. Or if the first lesson is not a beginner lesson, you can still get a big discount on a season pass after three lessons. Quite a deal if you want/need lessons. I'd check out their website for exact details.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Slightly unrelated, but if you want a place to learn and good for kids and inexpensive then check out Ski Cooper.
I know Cooper has a cat-skiing operation. Charles, do you know if that is part of your lift-ticket, or extra?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokE420 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a season pass at Loveland ski resort because its closest to Denver..... im just wondering how it compares to other mountains such as vail/breck/???
No, but I Love SkiLand! Sorry. I had to do that.

I like Mary Jane and Snow Mass myself. Loveland works. We usually went to A-Basin for some reason. Maybe because it was so late in the season and had to.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I like Mary Jane and Snow Mass myself. Loveland works.
I'll always have a soft spot for the Jane. Nothing quite like pulling up to Utah Junction and skiing off. The tree-skiing at the Jane is second to none!

Quote:
We usually went to A-Basin for some reason. Maybe because it was so late in the season and had to.
A-Basin in the spring is awesome! I hit an over-the-knee powder day at the Basin in April two seasons ago. It was a bliss!

Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
hmm thanks....may check it when im in CO sometime but i could rip down any double black diamond so no need for beginners mountain......and no kids just me

EDIT:
is loveland good for woods riding?????....i love just free riding the woods makin my own trails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado