Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,565 times

Advertisements

We live in the Redlands and kids went to schools here (Broadway Elem. and Redlands Middle School). I prefer this area, but there are other nice family areas also. Daughter goes to Palisade HS now because of the IB program there. Son goes to Fruita 8-9. I don't drink a lot of water but some people do--it's optional. Car: bmw is fine, but get good ice/snow traction all-season (research it at tirerackdotcom--I don't think snow tires are necessary). We don't get all that much snow here, like a 1/4 of Denver or SLC. I sold an MBz before I arrived and got a 4wd vehicle and happy I did. Gives you more flexibility in the country. AWD is good too. GJ does have growing pains though; it's halfway between a small rural town and a city and sometimes gets confused...more PU trucks are sold here than all other vehicles combined (statistically). Let's just say there are several sub-cultures here that usually coexist peacefully... It's nice to be an hour and a half from Moab and about the same from Glenwood Springs, too.

Last edited by DesertRyt; 08-16-2011 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 53,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Most of Grand Junction and surroundings areas are safe, friendly neighborhoods. No worries there.
That's the impression I got from my net research. I am so ready to get over there!!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:30 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie239 View Post
That's the impression I got from my net research. I am so ready to get over there!!
It's a good place to live if you don't mind the weather or being in a fairly isolated small town (which is not doing well economically these days.)

Old 08-17-2011, 02:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Yes indeed, the weather tends to be somewhat extreme. It can be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. EG, so far this summer we've had 48 days of 90+, which is actually kind of low compared to the 61 days of 90 degree temps amassed by 8-17 in '06, '07, & '08. Personally, the dry heat here is FAR preferable to the humid heat of the eastern US. I don't really mind the heat. The below zero cold of the winter is a real drag, but the persistent cold wind in the springtime is my least favorite weather condition of all.

If you have a job, the poor economy is not likley to be a big issue. Without a job, all I have to say is ...good luck finding one. You will need it!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Thank you all so much for the input! I'm happy to learn that we will not be limited in our choices. Makes me feel better about finding a home I will love and not becoming house poor in doing so. I really want a house that needs nothing. We have remodeled and rebuilt ourselves enough. Painting is about all I could handle now.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Stephanie...I think you will find Grand Junction much to your liking. It's far from being perfect, but all things considered, it won out over all of other places on our short-list in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona that my wife and I explored before settling here 5 years ago.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 08-17-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Yes indeed, the weather tends to be somewhat extreme. It can be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. EG, so far this summer we've had 48 days of 90+, which is actually kind of low compared to the 61 days of 90 degree temps amassed by 8-17 in '06, '07, & '08. Personally, the dry heat here is FAR preferable to the humid heat of the eastern US. I don't really mind the heat. The below zero cold of the winter is a real drag, but the persistent cold wind in the springtime is my least favorite weather condition of all.

If you have a job, the poor economy is not likley to be a big issue. Without a job, all I have to say is ...good luck finding one. You will need it!
Well we are 90+ degrees here all summer and a majority of fall. We've had quite a few 100+ days this year too! I'll take dry heat over this swamp any day! I'm from Louisiana, currently living in Texas. We'll see how I fare in the winter cold.

My husband has a great job with the same company he's been with for 10 yrs or so. This move came with a promotion, pay raise, and relocation pkg so I think we will be ok. I'm a medical lab tech and will wait til we are settled a bit before seeking a job. I'm just ready to join him over there. He's there with our travel trailer

Old 08-28-2011, 04:55 PM

8 posts, read 26,098 times
I moved to Grand Junction one year ago from Denver. I love it here on the Western Slope. No traffic jams, beautiful weather, sunny skies, easy going pace. Last night I attended a free concert in Lincoln Park featuring the GJ Symphony. It was spectacular. I had never heard a symphony (!) but after this event intend to buy a subscription for the upcoming season. The concert is just one of many community events held in the summer/fall. Examples: Main Street Farmers Market which is a good excuse to promenade and meet up with friends; the Art Center for pottery classes and great friends to make there; lots of festivals; Palisade Peach Festival, Fruita Fall Festival, the Octoberfest, music festivals for all persuasions. The only thing I miss out here is a Trader Joes, Whole Foods Market, Sunflower Market, etc. The only thing close is Vitamin Cottage.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,948 times
Hi guys. I too may need to move to Grand Junction in some time. Any thoughts on how good/bad it is for single people here. I am a 29 year old male (from India) and have lived on the east coast for the last 5 years. I am just worried about the making friends and dating potential of GJ and the openness of the citizens to "outsiders".

Old 09-03-2011, 07:17 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciphur View Post
Hi guys. I too may need to move to Grand Junction in some time. Any thoughts on how good/bad it is for single people here. I am a 29 year old male (from India) and have lived on the east coast for the last 5 years. I am just worried about the making friends and dating potential of GJ and the openness of the citizens to "outsiders".
Why the heck are so many people moving to Grand Junction?

Anyway, to answer your question, you're going to be all of about 5 people from India in Grand Junction. Literally. I'm not joking.

Anyway, you won't have problems with people treating you badly because you're an "outsider". But you will have problems making friends and dating. It's a very small, isolated town. There's just not much socializing potential. I remember talking to some young South Americans who were working at one of the hotels there (a "hotel" exchange program) and they absolutely couldn't stand it. It was so boring for them.

Forget about dating. Most of the eligible singles are people who were born and raised in Grand Junction and are interested only in dating others who were born and raised there. Sorry to be blunt about it, but that's the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado