Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 12:56 PM

835 posts, read 2,855,984 times

Advertisements

I have now started having second thoughts about moving to Colorado. I know if I do move I want to live in the foothills area ( Evergreen/Conifer) but I have some things to look at here before i do that and heres why:
1. I have never even been to Colorado, never. so thats why i just now have planned on arriving there about a week from today. I am going to to take a week off work to see what its really all about.
2. I do not know anyone its 1300 miles from my nearest family and as an 18 yearold with just a highschool diploma the jobs would be very tough for me to get to support myself and pay for my expensive car insurance. My parents did tell me however that after i am a Colorado resident they would pay for me to go to a college in the Denver area, once i am instate.
3. I by no means love my job, but it is an easy one i get good money and good hours for an 18 yr old.
4. There is as always some drama added to every plan i come up with and every goal i try to achieve, this time there are some untied knots with a girl whom i know likes me quite possibly more than a friend and same with me, its getting rather hard to understand what is eventually going to transpire but i hope it's one way or the other not mixed, which is how i feel it is now.
5. As and 18 yr old living in the foothills west of denver with just a HSDiploma i could probably get a job and support myself but it wouldnt be easy at all.
6. if i decide to not move to colorado i can enroll at our local community college by the end of this month.
7. I am in a major struggle of what to do and really need some help here, man i wish the choice was a little easier. right now i am not leaning one way or more towards the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:38 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
1. I have never even been to Colorado, never. so thats why i just now have planned on arriving there about a week from today. I am going to to take a week off work to see what its really all about.
That is the best thing you could ever do, onthamove! I've been waiting for you to say that. Don't worry about moving permanently, making any commitments just yet. Just come to Colorado for a vacation, do a grand tour, and case the joint out! I'm glad you're coming here next week (I'll be back in the hot Arizona desert by then, wish I could stay here). Try to explore a lot of different places. Check out Denver, check out Boulder, check out the western suburbs and the foothills (Evergreen, which you've been talking a lot about), and see if you like it. And if you can, drive into the mountains, and see Crested Butte, Gunnison and Salida in person. Coming here first and seeing what it's like is EXACTLY what you need to do. Have fun-- and let us know how it goes! And BTW, attending community college where you already are is a great idea. You could even transfer to a Colorado school for your upper division years if you want to-- or move here after you graduate. Getting started on your education, though, is #1-- that will leave the doors open for whatever you want to do.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,427 times
You are making the right decision...........As you know I am taking a 9 day vacation/exploration of the west side of Denver in search of my new Home.........I just hope that it is everything that I want it to be (same goes for you)........and buy visiting first, I think that it is the only way to comfortably make an INFORMED decision.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 PM

23 posts, read 143,187 times
If you do decide to come out to CO, I really suggest you move near a college of some kind - two year or otherwise - so that you can get started on making a good future for yourself. Now is the time to get your education - do not wait as it will just get harder to get your education (more stuff going on, less folks your age in your same situation). You could post a thread asking for suggestions as to where to live near a two year college to get started. (Note: Since you are 18 you will not be what is called "emancipated" from your parents for in state tuition purposes for quite some time, so it will be much more cost effective to do school in your home state.)

Colorado is an expensive place to live, and you won't be doing yourself any long term favors at all by moving out here without an education or plans to get your education here.

Good luck

Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 PM

355 posts, read 1,403,898 times
if your happy where u are stay ....hell yea its going to be a lot harder then you think when i was 18 i moved from MA to FL in BOCA RATON didnt know one person lol im payin 1100/month not including internet,electric,water/cell/car/car insurance.....couple months i have had a roomate to help with payments but still very expensive and i have made it so dont think you cant cause it is possible you just have to grind hard i absolutely HATE florida so im gunna try colorado regardless....if i dont like it ill leave somewhere else haha .....restaurant buisness is somethin that u can always jump into whatever state your in usually decent money but hard work with little experience needed

wait til NOV room with me in Golden cheap ass rent close to city for jobs ....right in foot hills

Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 PM

if i cannot find a place in evergreen ( and by place i mean someones basement, or spare room) i will likely end up living in Denver or Lakewood near a community college where lots of good jobs are avaliable, because the key to staying long term in colorado is a real job and thats only going to come from a post highschool eduaction be it college or tech school if you dont do one of those my odds of ever making it longer term are quite slim. I have gotten hooked up with some folks in Evergreen and i may end up getting a basement or something for 200-300 a month rentwise cuz thats all i can afford making 800-900 a month at 18, i cannot afford one of those 1500 apartments with breathtaking views just aint gonna work so if i cannot get a cheap rent living in someone basement or whatever then i am going to live in Denver/Lakewood and be guarenteed a spot. anyway my trip is going to help me see what is going to be realistic and what is going to be unrealistic. wish me luck! i leave sunday night!!!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM

would hope to live in the hills and get more snow!!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM

355 posts, read 1,403,898 times
Rent.com: Search Results

Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I definitely think an exploratory trip would be a good idea, since you have never seen Colorado. Sally123 is correct about the in-state residency issue; it is hard to prove if you are under 21. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:25 AM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,736 times
As you already planed, visit it first and see things for yourself before just moving. See different areas etc.

For me personally (as a 22 year old), I would not think that Evergreen/Conifer would be the best place to live. I suggest for you to look for something closer to the city/school. You will get enough snow in Denver and the metro area without the need of Evergreen/Conifer.

If you have any questions please let me know and I would be glad to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado