Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
The yuppies have ruined these once mom and pop places, evolution gone wrong. I just saw a condo at Beaver Creek on the market for $8.6 million.
I'm not in the habit of defending "yuppies," but I don't thing "yuppies" are the folks driving the market for your $8.6 million Beaver Creek condo. That would be the CEO class who now pay themselves 350X-500X the wage of their average worker, up from @25X 30-50 years ago, back when "average" workers had U.S. based jobs and could afford to ski. Or their buddies the Wall Street financial alchemist class. Or their buddies, the Hedge Fund Manager class, you know, the guys who pay a maximum tax rate of 15%. Lots of people capable of shelling out 8.6 large for a Beaver Creek condo in this economy, none of whom I'd describe as "yuppies."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
smdensbcs wrote:
Lots of people capable of shelling out 8.6 large for a Beaver Creek condo in this economy, none of whom I'd describe as "yuppies."
This is a fitting description of the criminal class that owns corporate America and their politician puppets.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,987 times
This cost has been sky rocketing in my opinion, and I don't even understand how people can afford it. To go for a day or several days to any ski resort just costs too much, nevermind if you need to rent.

I'm glad my season pas is only $300, but its been climbing each year, but the high prices of daily lift tickets at other mountains keeps me mostly confined to staying at my home resort, sort of unfortunately.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
My 'yuppie' friends drive up to Breck and pile into a shared rented condo. It seems pretty affordable to them.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:03 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The housing industry will come back next year and that includes the condos at the ski resorts. I know I plan on buying a cabin in the next few years and I am not the only one.
Once again, you make swarmy predictions based on nothing but thin air. Even the pumpmonkeys whose business it is to hype the real estate market are now admitting that it may take a decade or more for the housing market to recover--and they admit that it may never recover to past levels.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:07 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Once again, you make swarmy predictions based on nothing but thin air. Even the pumpmonkeys whose business it is to hype the real estate market are now admitting that it may take a decade or more for the housing market to recover--and they admit that it may never recover to past levels.
Costs nothing to dream.....I do it all the time, one lottery ticket at a time...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,007 times
Better scoop them up while they last, just checked on rooms at the Ritz-Carlton Beaver Creek.
$3,800 / night, what a steal. RP

Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
Powderhorn on Grand Mesa has some pretty decent rates from what I'm told. And of course there's Lee's ski hill in Ouray. It's free.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,466,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Costs nothing to dream.....I do it all the time, one lottery ticket at a time...
I always go by the definition of "State Lottery" from "Wiley's Dictionary" in the comic strip "B.C.": "When 5 million stupid people make one stupid person look smart."

Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,976 times
A ton of people who can afford that are,...movie stars,..tv stars...all the entertainment industry...singers..talk show hosts ..reporters..weathermen/women..reality show stars (ahem) and the hosts of those shows, etc......and a bunch of athletes!!!! The list is plentiful and insane!!! NOT all wallstreet people!!!
Doesn't matter where the money comes from...it all spends the same!! When one has thousands in the pot that will pay those prices...they will charge those prices...ME,...I use coupons!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado