Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:50 PM

162 posts, read 304,230 times

Advertisements

Which town is more "scenic"? Better looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:53 PM

178 posts, read 604,738 times
I like the amphitheater look of the mountains around Ouray and the rugged small town feeling. It's a tough choice but I think Ouray is a little more scenic than Telluride.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Ouray and Telluride

They both enjoy quite unique and very scenic locations. Each is different in certain distinct ways, although both within box canyons.

Telluride is surrounded by very high mountains; even at its elevation of 8,750 feet, the impression on three sides are of very tall surrounding peaks. It would be a personal preference in scenery between this town and Ouray, as both reside in very beautiful locals.

The greater difference between these two small towns is in ambience. Telluride is far more active, especially so in winter due its renowned ski area. The clientele is different, more upscale, and all is more expensive. It is also a fairly liberal place, with this quite isolated town feeling it is a kingdom unto itself in some respects.

Ouray (7,792 feet) is more intimate. Unlike Telluride residing near the end of its somewhat long canyon, Ouray seems more enclosed, as if in a small pocket with very tall mountains nearly surrounding it on four sides. This is somewhat deceptive, as this box canyon gradually opens to the north towards Ridgway, with no sheer mountain directly to the south. Although a good sized one is plainly visible not far south, the impression heightened with US 550 through town as main street abruptly beginning its ascent just south of town. In fact before, as little of Ouray is level: compared to its surroundings it seems about the only level place around, but most of the town resides at a certain angle.

Ouray is near somnolent during winter, in offering no downhill skiing and few other activities. Much of the town closes, although I believe their public hot spring pool remains open. This fabulous natural hot water is also shared by a few private enterprises, and at least one motel using this for hot tubs. In summer most tourists are not there to pose or flash their money, but simply enjoy the superlative nature.

Either place puts much of Colorado to shame when it comes to natural beauty, and that is saying something. Each was a former mining town, with each retaining a good number of attractive Victorian buildings. Both are worth visiting. As to which one might favor, this depending on personal preference and that sought.

Last edited by Idunn; 08-29-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
They both enjoy quite unique and very scenic locations. Each is different in certain distinct ways, although both within box canyons.

Telluride is surrounded by very high mountains; even at its elevation of 8,750 feet, the impression on three sides are of very tall surrounding peaks. It would be a personal preference in scenery between this town and Ouray, as both reside in very beautiful locals.

The greater difference between these two small towns is in ambience. Telluride is far more active, especially so in winter due its renowned ski area. The clientele is different, more upscale, and all is more expensive. It is also a fairly liberal place, with this quite isolated town feeling it is a kingdom unto itself in some respects.

Ouray (7,792 feet) is more intimate. Unlike Telluride residing near the end of its somewhat long canyon, Ouray seems more enclosed, as if in a small pocket with very tall mountains nearly surrounding it on four sides. This is somewhat deceptive, as this box canyon gradually opens to the north towards Ridgway, with no sheer mountain directly to the south. Although a good sized one is plainly visible not far south, the impression heightened with US 550 through town as main street abruptly beginning its ascent just south of town. In fact before, as little of Ouray is level: compared to its surroundings it seems about the only level place around, but most of the town resides at a certain angle.

Ouray is near somnolent during winter, in offering no downhill skiing and few other activities. Much of the town closes, although I believe their public hot spring pool remains open. This fabulous natural hot water is also shared by a few private enterprises, and at least one motel using this for hot tubs. In summer most tourists are not there to pose or flash their money, but simply enjoy the superlative nature.

Either place puts much of Colorado to shame when it comes to natural beauty, and that is saying something. Each was a former mining town, with each retaining a good number of attractive Victorian buildings. Both are worth visiting. As to which one might favor, this depending on personal preference and that sought.
Thank you very much for taking you're time to let me know this! Very exiting to know they are both great places. I must say I want to visit Telluride a little more than Ouray now though. Thanks much.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Both towns are in beautiful settings, but I find Telluride to be one of the most socially repugnant places in Colorado. Full of nothing but out-of-state 1-percenters, aging hippies, lovers of recreational (illegal) drugs, and obnoxious tourists--all trying to prove just how "cool" they are to be in such a pretty place. No wonder that many of the old-time Telluride natives (and I know a lot of them) won't even go back to the place for a visit. Periodically, I've had to go there on business and I get in and out of town as fast as I possibly can. Pity that such a beautiful place has attracted all the "beautiful" people. Despite the poverty and the big mine tailings piles that "decorated" the town, Telluride was a much better place back in the 1960's when I knew it--before it got "discovered."

Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Ouray. You couldn't pay me to live in Telluride mainly for the reasons jazz has expressed and others.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times
I have not been in years but I have to say I prefer Telluride.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-30-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM

3 posts, read 24,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
Which town is more "scenic"? Better looking?

Both towns are very scenic, but I prefer Ouray as a travel destination hands-down. As Jazzlover has noted, Telluride has been utterly ruined by all the pretentious, obnoxious people who have taken over the town. I can no longer stand to even visit that place. Ouray, on the other hand, is a genuine, wonderful little town situated in one of the most scenic locales in the world.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Both towns are in beautiful settings, but I find Telluride to be one of the most socially repugnant places in Colorado. Full of nothing but out-of-state 1-percenters, aging hippies, lovers of recreational (illegal) drugs, and obnoxious tourists--all trying to prove just how "cool" they are to be in such a pretty place. No wonder that many of the old-time Telluride natives (and I know a lot of them) won't even go back to the place for a visit. Periodically, I've had to go there on business and I get in and out of town as fast as I possibly can. Pity that such a beautiful place has attracted all the "beautiful" people. Despite the poverty and the big mine tailings piles that "decorated" the town, Telluride was a much better place back in the 1960's when I knew it--before it got "discovered."
Hmmm. That's not good. Are there any other towns with the same type of scenery as Telluride minus the obnoxious people?

Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
I go by my old saying, "If you've read about the place in a national magazine, it's probably already been ruined." That pretty much covers most of the "resort" towns in Colorado. Telluride and Aspen are the poster children of ruined places, but places like Crested Butte, Summit County, etc. are not far behind. There still are some beautiful places, but they tend to be off the beaten track and usually don't have the "amenities" that the typical yuppie tourist expects. If you want "authentic" Colorado, you need to go where the 1-percenters and other affluent tourists aren't. That's getting pretty hard to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado