Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 06:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,300 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are visiting labor day week. We will be flying into Denver. We thought about staying in Manitou Springs, but I came here for ideas. We are mostly into outdoors and viewing the natural scenes. We thought about tying the knot as well. Is there plenty to do around Manitou Springs or should we shoot for somewhere else? What got my attention about Manitou Springs is the train ride to Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and the Royal Gorge Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 AM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
I believe the Royal Gorge Bridge remains closed due to last year's fire, and by Labor Day even the bus tours will be closed. The train ride through the gorge is still operating, and many people prefer it to the bridge anyway - see https://www.royalgorgeroute.com

Plenty to do? It depends entirely upon what you like to do and how much time you have. There must be a couple of dozen threads on things to do in the Pikes Peak area in these forums. For scenic views I like the zoo and associated Will Rogers Memorial, Garden of the Gods, any means of ascending Pikes Peak, Wilkerson Pass at sunrise or sunset, hikes in Mueller State Park, American Eagles Overlook in Victor, and several other places that do not come immediately to mind.

Scenic drives in no particular order -1) Colorado Springs to Castle Rock, over to Salida, then 67 down through Deckers to US 24 at Woodland Park, back to the Springs. 2) US 24 up through Woodland Park over to 9 at Hartzel, south to 59 at Guffey, back to Cripple Creek, then 67 to Woodland Park (take a picnic for this one). 3) Woodland Park, Divide, Cripple Creek, Victor, and then Phantom Canyon to US 50. Some of these involve dirt roads, but they are all well maintained.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:06 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
In Denver you've got A Taste of Colorado.

In Aspen, you've got the Jazz Aspen Labor Day Festival or Jazz Aspen Snowmass Labor Day Experience is going on with Ziggy Marley, Earth Wind & Fire, Carrie Underwood, etc.

Colorado Springs has the Colorado Springs Balloon Classic while Steamboat Springs has the Wild West Air Fest.

Vail may have some Jazz Festival going on.

You can drive to the top of Pikes Peak or you can drive to the top of Mount Evans but not for long after Labor Day weekend.

Rocky Mountain National Park is pretty popular.

Telluride has a Film Festival.

Pueblo has the State Fair with rodeo stuff with Clay Walker and Chris Young, the group Korn, Brantley Gilbert, Tony Orlando, The Henningsens and Ty Herndon, Monster Trucks and Demolition Derby, The Turtles square dance stuff, Chuck Negron, Mark Farner, Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Gary Lewis and The Playboys...

There should be stuff going on then.

Check what the weather will be before you plan. It's been like the PNW this last month.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,300 times
You two are awesome. We will be in Colorado for 10 days. We aren't looking to book it all up. Just relax and enjoy the surroundings. Thank you very much.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Scenic drives in no particular order -1) Colorado Springs to Castle Rock, over to Salida, then 67 down through Deckers to US 24 at Woodland Park, back to the Springs.
You mean Sedalia.

Salida is 60 miles west of Canon City on Highway 50. It is nowhere near Castle Rock.

More scenery.

Colorado Springs to Royal Gorge (CO 115 to US 50) to Salida (west on US 50 - have lunch here) to Buena Vista (via US 285) and then back to Springs. via US 285 to US 24).

Old 08-03-2014, 07:08 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You mean Sedalia.

Salida is 60 miles west of Canon City on Highway 50. It is nowhere near Castle Rock.
I did indeed. Thank you. I remember saying "Sedalia" to myself, in fact, before typing. I should also have made clear that my suggestions were based on the premise of using Manitou Springs as a base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado