Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 36,860 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to Fruita from Denver and are DYING for good restaurants. We've tried just about all of 'em and haven't even found a good Mexican restaurant (no, Fiesta Gag-a-la-harda doens't count as good food)!

Also, does anyone know if/when Dillards will open?

Does anyone know if PotteryBarn, PF Changs, or other high-end retaliers may come here?

What's going to be built on 24 road, north of Patterson/F??

If anyone is "in-the-know", I'd sure be grateful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:22 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
I have lived in Grand Junction for 5 years now, and I am still waiting. With that said, it has grown quite a bit in that time. However, I don't think you will get the higher end "chain" restaurants like PF Changs anytime soon. Grand Junction is a western town, and the people that are moving in are blue collar oil and gas. There are some wonderful local restaurants in GJ though, that maybe you have not tried.

Downtown is Dolce Vida, a wonderful Italian place. If you like Thai food try Thai Chili (I think that's what it's called now) by the Wal-Mart on Rimrock Drive. It does not look like a nice restaurant, but the food is excellent. It is run by two Thai sisters and they can cook!! My brother-in-law, who has traveled all over the world and lives in Seattle, thinks it is some of the best Thai food he has ever had!

As you have probably noticed, good local places come and go in this city. My guess is that fancier places will not do well in the near future, so they are probably not even looking at GJ or Fruita.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,462 times
I travel the state. I think the safest bets in Grand Junction are the ones downtown--stay away from anything in a strip mall or that looks like a chain, they are really bad there, worse than average. I have had some good meals down there. If you want to go all the way to Montrose there is actually a kickin' Tibetan restaurant just east of the main intersection. Also, it's a great place to buy local produce.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
It's been some years ago, so I don't know if they're still in business ... but there used to be an excellent Mexican restaurant South of D Road on (or close by) 27 1/2 Road.

It's in an industrial area, and the restaurant was looking like the type of place you'd drive by without a second glance. But it was very popular with the local workers and mobbed every weekday at lunch.

I went there a half-dozen times or so when I was calling on clients in that area.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:44 PM

6 posts, read 29,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
It's been some years ago, so I don't know if they're still in business ... but there used to be an excellent Mexican restaurant South of D Road on (or close by) 27 1/2 Road.
If you're referring to the place in the strip mall at 27 Road and Hwy 50, it's a dump. There are no decent mexican restaurants in GJ. Truth be told, I know of no place I'd really like to go to eat, and I've lived here since 1994. Lots of places look and sound good (like "The Winery," to name one of many) but it's all fluff with small portions of 3rd-rate food at 5-star prices.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I tell it as I see it. You want good mexican food then you'll just have to look elsewhere, 'cause you won't find it (or good chinese, or good any-other-ethic food) at any public establishment on the western slope.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Laugh at me all you want but Dos Hombres is pretty good. It's not authentic Mexican food but when I lived in GJ it was pretty good.

They had a Dos (actually two) here in Colorado Springs that was pretty good but the locations in the GJ area (one in the Redlands and one in Clifton) are much better.

I wish I could remember the name of the semi-Italian restaurant in downtown Junction, but it was good.

Too bad The River City Cafe is no longer. I loved their Sheep Dip.

When I was moving, they were in the process of building an Old Chicago. If it's still there, I highly recommend the artichoke/spinach dip. Similar to TRCC's Sheep Dip but served with veggies.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Default To each his own I guess!

COflower...to say that Dos Hombres is pretty good Mexican food would indicate that you & I have very different taste buds. IMO the food at Dos Hombres is bland, bland, bland and absolutely lacking flavor. The sauces seem to consist of blended tomatoes with no spices added. To each his own I guess! I live within easy walking distance of the Dos Hombres restaurant in Redlands and I've eaten there just twice in the 15 months I've lived here. Must have been at least a year ago since I last ate there. As you say, it is NOT authentic Mexican. In fact it is a far cry from being authentic Mexican. It is a very watered down AMERICANIZED version of Mexican food.

My favorite place to eat is the Kanah Creek brewery on 12th...their beer is good and the Pinyon Pesta pizza appeals to my taste buds in a very pleasing manner. It is certainly not a gourmet restaurant by an means. The Nepal resaturant has some tasty items on the menu, but it's nothing to write home about. I would caution against purchasing the lunch bufffet as it appeared to be warmed up left-overs. Friday night dinner was pretty good however. The chain type restaurants have absolutely nothing that appeals to my taste buds, so I wouldn't recommend any of them.

blessings...Franco

Old 10-16-2007, 12:33 AM

17 posts, read 99,641 times
I have to agree with the above statements, your best bet for anything resembling decent food is downtown. Il Bistro Italiano, Dolce Vita II and 626 On Rood come to mind. I wasn't impressed with Rendez Vous/Moulin Rouge (both are one and the same), but was never a big fan of French cuisine in the first place, so your results may vary.

Dos Hombre...stay away!!! I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. Some of the worst food in town and most of the time the service is the same. Conchita's on OM isn't worth your time either. I'm amazed when people tell me "how good it is". I went there once, had terrible service, worse food, and there was only one other person in the whole place. Don't know of any true Mexican restaurants, everything here lends itself to the Tex-Mex style cooking (Fiesta Guadalajara, Leon's, etc.)

As COflower said, there IS an Old Chicago's at 1st and North, but it's just what you'd expect. Loud atmosphere, young wait staff, and mediocre food at best. If you're looking for chain italian, you're better off going with Johnny Carino's or Bostons. The new Bear Rock Cafe has been a hit or miss for me, good some nights, so-so on others.

As has been stated over and over, the Grand Valley is mostly blue collar, good 'ol boy mentality and fine dining establishments just don't last. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,917,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
COflower...to say that Dos Hombres is pretty good Mexican food would indicate that you & I have very different taste buds. IMO the food at Dos Hombres is bland, bland, bland and absolutely lacking flavor. The sauces seem to consist of blended tomatoes with no spices added. To each his own I guess! I live within easy walking distance of the Dos Hombres restaurant in Redlands and I've eaten there just twice in the 15 months I've lived here. Must have been at least a year ago since I last ate there. As you say, it is NOT authentic Mexican. In fact it is a far cry from being authentic Mexican. It is a very watered down AMERICANIZED version of Mexican food.
Hence the reason I put "not authentic Mexican food".

Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
COflower

Let me add this in regard to Dos Hombres. Apparently, the locals love it. On any day of the week, the parking lot is almost full every evening. Authentic or not, they seem to do a thriving business.

blessings...Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado