Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:28 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,727,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
So Colorado is the one geographic location in the country, erm.. world, that people are taught to take care of where they live?

Bet you can see real far from that high horse.
I believe Cosmic Wizard was speaking tongue-in-cheek.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:34 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,507,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I believe Cosmic Wizard was speaking tongue-in-cheek.
Yeah, he cleared it up in a rep comment. Ha ha. With the ridiculous views some people on these boards are so strident about, you can never be sure.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:08 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,016,353 times
Xander_Crews wrote: Bet you can see real far from that high horse.

And the poop really splatters when it hits the trail from those lofty heights.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 05-05-2014 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:11 PM

4,038 posts, read 2,727,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Indigo Cardinal wrote: Bet you can see real far from that high horse.

And the poop really splatters when it hits the trail from those lofty heights.
You do realize you're attributing that quote to the wrong poster, correct?

Old 05-05-2014, 10:17 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,016,353 times
@Indigo...I edited/fixed my mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:22 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,951,585 times
Interesting thread...

Fishermen/women on this forum may be familiar with the books of Colorado fishing writer, John Gierach (originally from Ohio, heh!). His first book was published in the late 70's - "Sex, Death and Flyfishing" - and he has just published book number 17, "All Fishermen are Liars." That's a lot of years of writing about the outdoor experience in Colorado, especially in the region of his home river, the St. Vrain. I heard him speak just recently and he was talking about going with a friend along the St. Vrain and the streams which feed into it and just throwing out lures to see what fish (if any) remain after last year's horrific flood. According to Gierach, fish populations are way down and it's all inter-connected because many of the insects and other bug populations that sustain the trout were also wiped out in the flood. It could take as long as 30 or 40 years just for that one river system to recover if it ever does. Yet another casualty of climate change...

The vast increase in Colorado's population from when I was growing up to now is depressing enough. The drought in the SW and other parts of the state, floods, horrific forest fires, and thousands of acres of dead and dying forests depress me more than I can say. People who got a little taste of paradise living in Colorado 30 or 40 years ago have a hard time seeing what the state has turned into, especially knowing that it's only going to continue to go downhill. I don't look forward to spending another summer going up into the San Juans and getting tears in my eyes when I see the state of the forests, believe me. I can also see the time coming probably even sooner than I now expect when I and a lot of other people will be driven out of the 4-Corners region through sheer pressure from the drought.

The Front Range holds little appeal for me - if you've seen one city, you've seen them all. I'd move to New Mexico, but IMO their problems are as bad as or worse than Colorado's and New Mexico's economy leaves much to be desired. Wyoming is a little better, but the environmental degredation is taking its toll there, too. As it now stands I just don't know. It's very sad...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,628,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
1) State becomes high magnet
2) State attracts highly competitive workforce (Natives leave)
3) Competitive workforce requires more money raising COL (Natives leave)
4) Change in workforce leads to changing culture of state (Natives leave)

Sounds like California to me.

Couldn't have said it better myself....

Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 AM

259 posts, read 602,238 times
I'm a third-generation native Coloradoan. I left the state in 1994 because I was getting married to someone who lived in Oregon and had a very good job there he didn't want to leave. We lived in several wonderful places and then went back to Fort Collins, where I was living when I left for Oregon, seven years after I left the state. I was shocked at how much everything had changed, but I was happy to be back. My husband, who grew up on Long Island and lived in Portland for 17 years, loved it. We'd still be in Fort Collins, but my husband got laid off and not only could he not find a job in Fort Collins, he couldn't find a job anywhere in Colorado. This was during the recession. He went from being in high demand to having trouble getting hired. High tech, especially in Fort Collins, really dried up during that time (he's an analog IC designer). We ended up in New Hampshire, which we love, but we would have preferred to stay in Colorado.

Nevertheless, when he retires we're moving back to Oregon, not Colorado. I can't take snow and cold winters anymore.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,498,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
1) State becomes high magnet
2) State attracts highly competitive workforce (Natives leave)
3) Competitive workforce requires more money raising COL (Natives leave)
4) Change in workforce leads to changing culture of state (Natives leave)

Sounds like California to me.
You missed one:

5) State becomes so screwed up and wrecked that even the transplants who came a few years ago want to leave, too.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:49 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,489,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You missed one:

5) State becomes so screwed up and wrecked that even the transplants who came a few years ago want to leave, too.
That is a personal preference one. I am a 4th generation Coloradoan and still love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado