Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times

Advertisements

I hope I did not hit the Denver sub forum as I come in peace.I live in SW CO and have a very happy life here. from ski bum @ purgatory in an $80 a month cabin in the 70's to my 1896 Victorian almost totally restored.paid $85000 for it 20 years ago. I work as a Carpenter,wrangler,ranch hand or whatever.Jeep,fish.hunt and do nothing a lot.CO is a big state but the rest of the world thinks it is just Denver and the front range. guess most just need to be a slave to a steady job with bennies,well hope you enjoy slavery to live here with no view or life.Me self employed struggle sometimes but always happy with my view of the LaPlata mountains.Some things you cannot buy with money unless you have a really really lot of it and then you get to hire Me and you better hope I like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Mancos is like Del Snorte without all the glitter.

The first time I went skiing was Purgatory in about 1977 or 1978.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:41 AM

529 posts, read 1,547,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I'm sorry JMM64 and Meowen that you are so upset and hurt that another doesn't like your state/city. You are correct in that I started this thread to commiserate with others who were not in love with Colorado, and I stated that in the initial post. You had to be passive aggressive to vent your offense and upset which meant my feelings made you feel hurt and/or angry. To insinuate that another is unintelligent (' took you 45 minutes to find parking (ahem...moron) or 'check the menu next time (ahem...idiot)) and to invalidate another's feelings ('senseless post') are garden variety tactics of passive aggression which are rooted in hurt or anger. I really didn't mean to upset anyone. I tried to clearly direct the post towards those who only shared my feelings...not open a forum up for an attack on me for sharing my true feelings.
Yep cause that what I said and meant. I always find threads like this funny regardless of what state they're about. I'm sorry you had to resort to insulting me simply because I stated my opinion which in no way was fueled by being hurt or upset! My first post last month, as well as most of the other posts by everyone else were simply trying to help you compare the positive things about Colorado that you could compare to the east coast in order to not be so miserable. However you seem to not care about the similarities (which is fine) and that's why I said "you obviously wont be happy anywhere outside of the east coast", which isn't an insult! It's just confusing that you try to get people to help you like Colorado when you obviously have no intention of trying to like it. Then you resort to blaming others for their not so warm responses, please explain this to me. I'm not trying to be rude just trying to understand.

Also you mentioned in your first post that it is a "super negative post" so obviously you already had the answer you were looking for if that was your original mindset to begin with. Of course you will probably get some answers you don't like and you immediately accuse everyone who responds with a disagreement as being "hurt that you don't like their state". What are you expecting to get out of something like this?

There's a huge difference between simply not liking a place, and complaining to a huge extent and never trying to look at something in a more positive way and somehow expecting people not to be confused and annoyed by it. Understand? No one is upset that you dislike Colorado, we're simply confused why you choose to stay and complain rather than leave. You dismissed any help we tried to provide you as well, so again what was your intention of this thread? Again, what I'm saying here has nothing to do with Colorado! It's simply common sense applicable to anything! So stop resorting to accusing people of getting "hurt that you don't like Colorado" because that's irrelevant. Colorado SUCKS and is overrated and brown and dry, there does that help get my point across?

I still think that anyone who starts these topics already has the answer they are looking for and simply gets on these forums to complain for no reason. You obviously didn't want to stay in Colorado, so why did you think starting a thread about your dislike of it was going to change your mind? That's why I find these threads funny and senseless. Look around the whole city data site, you're not the only one who has started a thread like this.

Have a great day!

Last edited by JMM64; 04-29-2015 at 01:31 AM..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:16 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Great post. I can relate to the original poster, and many of the disappointments. After nearly three years here, I'm ready to move my family back to where we came from. I'll try to keep my post short and to the point.

Strengths of CO seen/experienced: great comfort due to the dry air (makes even extreme cold and hot surprisingly bareable), clean air, friendly people, nice absence of chip-on-the-shoulder types and loud people, and generally low pollution.

Weaker points of CO seen/experienced: terrible job market (at least in Fort Collins), very subtle mind games in interviews and belittling from higher ups after hire, overpriced houses, ridiculous bidding wars over houses, ugly bland houses crammed together with skimpy lot space and little privacy, a general lack of forests, big trees, and green lushness, ridiculous vehicle registration costs, thoroughfares like I-25 through Loveland and FC that would have been widened by now if located in other states, not as much range of outdoor activities as one might expect, and the growing season and green season (everything in bloom) is quite short compared to other areas (there tends to be a faded green and grey look much of the year).

I'm definitely not wanting to bash CO. It's great in many ways, as stated above. It can just turn out to be very different than what one might expect and envision. And really what comes to mind in many outsiders of "Colorful Colorado" is more realized in places like Oregon or Washington.

Don't overestimate the roots of experience. I've found that one's native area runs very deep - almost in the blood - especially if going on decades of one's life. Even if the "grass looks greener on the other side of the fence" and one relocates, those old familiarities could start to come up and pull at you. Food for thought...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-29-2015 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 PM

733 posts, read 853,576 times
Thanks to the OP for the post. I know what it is like to move some place, and it doesn't work out, and feeling like you need to vent or connect with others who may be going through the same thing.

OP, I hope you find a place that "speaks" to you and where you can feel connected, snuggly, and happy! It's funny, but people are so variable that a place that is "paradise" for one is "misery" for another. Which is good, or we'd all be in one place and tip the Earth over.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:29 PM

936 posts, read 2,069,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I'm sorry JMM64 and Meowen that you are so upset and hurt that another doesn't like your state/city. You are correct in that I started this thread to commiserate with others who were not in love with Colorado, and I stated that in the initial post. You had to be passive aggressive to vent your offense and upset which meant my feelings made you feel hurt and/or angry. To insinuate that another is unintelligent (' took you 45 minutes to find parking (ahem...moron) or 'check the menu next time (ahem...idiot)) and to invalidate another's feelings ('senseless post') are garden variety tactics of passive aggression which are rooted in hurt or anger. I really didn't mean to upset anyone. I tried to clearly direct the post towards those who only shared my feelings...not open a forum up for an attack on me for sharing my true feelings.
I wasn't being passive aggressive. I was simply stating that those are pretty pathetic reasons for not liking a state and I find it extremely hard to believe it could ever take anyone 45 minutes to park in Boulder. This is not SF or NYC.

by the way; i don't even care for colorado very much myself.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:39 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Usually the people that are the most miserable have only to look at themselves.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Usually the people that are the most miserable have only to look at themselves.
I blame the police for keeping me down lol.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post

I still think that anyone who starts these topics already has the answer they are looking for and simply gets on these forums to complain for no reason. You obviously didn't want to stay in Colorado, so why did you think starting a thread about your dislike of it was going to change your mind? That's why I find these threads funny and senseless. Look around the whole city data site, you're not the only one who has started a thread like this.

Have a great day!
Oh, if someone wants to vent, let 'em vent. People who are contemplating a move here may not know about the negatives to Colorado - yes, Colorado has negatives just like anywhere else - and some of those things might be deal breakers for potential new residents. Might as well find out about them now rather than later when they've already moved here. As the Joni Mitchell song goes, "Where some have found their paradise, others just come to harm. Oh, Amelia, it was just a false alarm..."

I had great fun bashing my old home town when I started a "Colorado Springs isn't all that great" thread a little while back. I was hardly surprised that most of the current residents defended the Springs quite vehemently. Obviously, they were looking to live in a town like the Colorado Springs of 2014-15 while I was missing the little cow town that I grew up in back in the 60's. Had I been forced to stay in Colorado Springs, I'd have been very unhappy just like OP is about the Front Range. I solved my problem by moving to a small town in the far southwest part of the state. And I still check in on the CS forum every now and then just to pull a few tails.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:56 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Popular belief around Colorado and around City-Data forums is that we state that Colorado is NOT for everybody.

We're glad that you moved back East because it's really too crowded on the Front Range and getting that way elsewhere. Certainly not enough resources nor jobs here.
Wow, that's really rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado