Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:07 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,578,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
We ordered some fancy margaritas if I recall. Pricey ones!

Well it's grown on me and I like it here now. Much of my angst was from feeling somewhat homesick being so far from family, and also getting used to the different terrain out here. It just took some time to acclimate. The weather is amazing with the lower humidity, all of the sunny days are uplifting, beautiful Colorado evening skies, cool evenings, and a nice laid back vibe with a lot of friendly people. I'm not a big bug fan so it's nice to have less of them around. It also seems less crime ridden and safer at least where I live. We had ski passes this past winter and that was a lot of fun with our kids. Denver has plenty to do with great restaurants, music, venues etc, and it's got an unusual laid back vibe for a city. I think it would definitely be an improvement to D.C. as far as quality of life and overall better vibes. Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for the update. I'm in Raleigh for a wedding this weekend. I just received more bug bites tonight than I have in a year. Yuck.

It is really green though. I asked my 6 year old what she thought the biggest difference was between here and Denver. She said "There are more trees and I am sweaty". Nailed it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:18 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,743,872 times
Yep, we travel to NC regularly as the in-laws live there and it is different. Very green and lush. But honestly couldn't take the humidity. Can't pay me enough to live in that kind of weather.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:47 PM

371 posts, read 364,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Denver isn't hilly sure, but the east coast sure isn't either. Not trying to be rude, just trying to help and point out that trees do not equal hills.

I've lived in all three states too, so I know what I'm talking about.
There's actually about 1300 feet of elevation difference within the city & county of Denver, I was surprised to learn. That looks small from a distance, because Mount Evans and the mountain brackdrop are up to 9,000 above the city.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:50 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,701,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I completely sympathize with the OP. I'm ok here, but I'm not in love with Colorado. It's just a place, to me. It's got its ups and downs. But when I first got here, on top of trying to adjust to the altitude and the dryness, I was pretty down about the brown. It was like there just wasn't enough color in the world. And things get so dusty and dirty.

Most people love the dryness. I don't.
Most people say the mountains are beautiful and splendid...I liked Mount Rainier better.

The one thing I really like is the people. I've met a lot of wonderful people here. I'll be here a while, because my kids are doing well in the schools and they've been uprooted enough times, so I'll stay put until they are done and on their own. But I have a feeling I won't be here forever. I miss Virginia. *shrug*

Still, OP if you haven't been here a whole year yet, do wait until late spring through summer, it does get green. I got here in December of 2011 and I know I appreciated the landscape more once it greened up a bit.
I just got a rep for this, so I will now update/amend to say that since getting more socially connected here in Colorado and making a whole lotta friends in the Springs over the last couple of years, and acclimating to the dryness and getting used to the weather and the changing landscape and everything...

I love it here. It totally feels like "home" now. I could live here indefinitely. I have dreams and fancies about the Victorians and the adorable Craftsman bungalows.

The heck with Virginia and its unfriendly people and miserable traffic. (Although I admit I don't hate humidity and I do miss the sound of cicadas in the summertime, and the ability to drive to the beach.)

Old 07-03-2017, 01:01 PM

371 posts, read 364,505 times
That's good news. Colorado Springs is unique among Colorado's bigger cites for its hilliness, and it's well-treed, too, making pockets of it look closer to VA. Unless you're in the new homes east of Academy Blvd, You're not smack out on the prairie.

My first impression of Denver was negative, but I'd just driven in from the Rockies. "Gateway to the Plains" would have been an appropriate slogan. After a job brought me here, I loved it for the hiking, the skiing, the rivers. My satisfaction peaked around 1993, then the baseball team came, through the 2008 Democratic convention. Since then, getting older and even less athletic, I'm losing the good feeling, and thinking I want a place that's lower, wetter and greener.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I just got a rep for this, so I will now update/amend to say that since getting more socially connected here in Colorado and making a whole lotta friends in the Springs over the last couple of years, and acclimating to the dryness and getting used to the weather and the changing landscape and everything...

I love it here. It totally feels like "home" now. I could live here indefinitely. I have dreams and fancies about the Victorians and the adorable Craftsman bungalows.

The heck with Virginia and its unfriendly people and miserable traffic. (Although I admit I don't hate humidity and I do miss the sound of cicadas in the summertime, and the ability to drive to the beach.)
Thanks for the update!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:13 PM

29 posts, read 29,403 times
I'm currently working in South Texas and it's miserable. When I look out the window the outdoors look so inviting - palm trees flailing around in the wind, sun is shining and everything looks bright. You merely open the door and your sunglasses instantly fog up. A few beads of sweat form on your forehead before you even walk the 200 feet to your car. Being outside here is pure torture if you're more than 1000 ft from the dirty beaches here.

I honestly do not understand why people brag this place up, and they do. They really shove the Texas thing down your throat. I'd rather live in a cardbox box along Coalfax than live out my life here. I have to take 2-3 showers a day just so I do not feel disgusting all day. The land here is about as scenic as a Wal Mart parking lot. Just not my cup of tea!

This each their own though! I'd rather enjoy the dry climate and look 62 at 40 years than subject myself to that cruelty. A lot of people love it, couple of my buddies accepted a job here and seem to like it.

End rant.. I'm home sick!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:02 AM

639 posts, read 377,072 times
OP PA resident here. Yes the Appalachia is nice, but the people generally stink. The personalities are as cold and stiff as the weather in winter. Everyone lives in their own little bubble. Philly or Pittsburgh is plenty crowded, and the economy is in the toilet. Plenty of retirees and dying neighborhoods. The Opioid epidemic is alive and well.

It takes time to adjust to a particular area.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:05 AM

639 posts, read 377,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Thanks for the update. I'm in Raleigh for a wedding this weekend. I just received more bug bites tonight than I have in a year. Yuck.

It is really green though. I asked my 6 year old what she thought the biggest difference was between here and Denver. She said "There are more trees and I am sweaty". Nailed it!
I LOVED the Triangle area. The culture was laid back, the girls were pretty, and the people were friendly with a sense of community. Good places to camp, and yes it can be humid but that doesn't bother me. That's what lakes and pools are created for.

As for bugs, wear repellant. Beautiful camping down that way, but not for the city slickers lol.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
I LOVED the Triangle area. The culture was laid back, the girls were pretty, and the people were friendly with a sense of community. Good places to camp, and yes it can be humid but that doesn't bother me. That's what lakes and pools are created for.

As for bugs, wear repellant. Beautiful camping down that way, but not for the city slickers lol.
Better camping in Colorado in my opinion. Can't touch the amount of National Forest land here. I go almost every weekend and don't need to bathe in DEET.

Humidity does bother me. Raised in the high desert, I can't stand muggy weather.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 07-06-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado