Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 06:35 PM

19 posts, read 24,440 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are ready for a change, specifically to escape the lackluster MI weather. We have two young, school-aged children. Looking to relocate next Spring, but having a terrible time narrowing down our choices. I work for a nation-wide bank and my husband works in the restaurant business, so work-wise we should be set (I am able to transfer). We are looking for a community to lay down roots. The things that are most important to us are : decent schools, low crime, nice downtown area for shopping/recreation. We would love to be in an area that has great mountain views but not a ton of snow (if that's even possible!) Our combined income is around 100k per year, at most. Affordable housing options a must! What Colorado towns could be a good fit?

Last edited by 7mstrom; 05-26-2015 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:30 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
What is your target house price? For a 3BR or bigger? Preferred size of city? How close do you want to be to Denver?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:12 PM

Thank you for your reply! I have read here and everywhere that the housing market is really tough for buyers in several areas of CO right now- we can afford up to 250k depending on property taxes, etc. We'd love to be in a bigger city, or at least one that has a walkable downtown area with amenities- we love trying new restaurants, etc. We are flexible on proximity to Denver- love it, but again somewhat aware of the challenges we could encounter trying to be in a close suburb.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Your housing budget will makes things challenging. You might find a balance of your priorities in northern Colorado Springs. Denver neighborhoods and suburbs will tend to be pricier. Lafayette and Golden are pretty safe, have good schools but are they too small for your tastes? Westminister, Arvada and Wheat Ridge are bigger. Not sure how walkable you'd consider them. May have a bit more crime. Locals should be able to offer more and better advice. Loveland probably isn't going to be your first choice but could be another option if the above fail for one reason or another.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:23 PM

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Gives us something to go off of. We can be very happy with smaller towns, as long as there are amenities such as recreational activities for our kids, pubs/restaurants/shopping for us, as well as decent climate and ability to be active and outdoors alot. Low crime is a big priority for us, we would move up a bit on our housing budget or have a smaller home if it makes a big difference in safety. We don't need to be directly in the Denver suburb area, just hoping to get into a nice community with decent amenities.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 PM

You are welcome. Visit for 5 plus days and you'll probably figure out what suits you best.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 AM

I appreciate the advice. We are planning a trip in late July, it'll be our longest visit thus far- probably a week.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 AM

87 posts, read 114,843 times
You will love it here. We just moved from Saint Louis this past weekend and yes, it was hard leaving behind family and friends but so far Colorado has not been disappointing to us. The weather was one of the big reasons for us to leave STL. Horrible winters with overcast skys for DAYS without any sunshine. Horrible humidity in the Spring/Summer. Also, the lack of many outdoors activities in STL was another reason. We are also active and love hiking, fishing, sports, pretty much anything outside is our idea of a good time.

We also have 2 school age children and my biggest concern in moving was to make it as easy for them as possible. We are fortunate enough to have many other young families in our neighborhood with a total of 15 kids!! Its pretty awesome to see them out playing with kids and having a blast. I hope the best for you guys!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Bowlersp, thank you so much for the positive comments! Yes, the overcast, sun-less days are wearing on us. I decided to seriously look into moving after a trip to see my best friend in Phoenix, all of the sun has a really big impact on mood! If you don't mind me asking, what area did you decide on? Any other tips you could give us as far as research/planning? I've been do the Denver Metro area a few times, but didn't get a chance to really explore other CO areas. Uprooting my family is a bit scary, but glad to hear it can be worth it! The biggest thing we will miss is Lake Michigan- but we really can only enjoy it a few months out of the year.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:11 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mstrom View Post
The biggest thing we will miss is Lake Michigan
My family moved to Colorado from a different part of the country, though not from the north. It too had lakes, and a more lush, wooded environment. I didn't miss the former location until away from it about 3 years. The dryness in Colorado is great from a comfortability standpoint, but after awhile, the area starts to appear starved of moisture, wherever you look. The trees are typically scrawny, and the mountains - beautiful and great as they are - are well,... still and dead. It's easy to miss those lakes and tall dense forests of trees (dynamic, in motion, ever changing, and full of life). Most natives here will not understand what I'm talking about, but those from other areas will. Something to keep in mind...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-27-2015 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado