Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 11:11 AM

11,840 posts, read 34,478,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post

Out of curiosity, what was your most significant/farthest move ever?
Thank you.
I was born in D.C. grew up in Maryland, Montgomery County. I went to college in Southern Maryland. I worked at the Folger Shakespeare Theatre after college, moved to Sunnyvale CA after taking a summer job at UC Santa Cruz Summer Shakespeare Festival. Got married; hubby got transferred to Lakewood in 1989. I have been here ever since. I lived in South Jeffco from 1989 to 1999 and I have lived in Highlands Ranch - king of master planned communities, ever since. Now that my kids are adults, I may move into the city. I don't need the schools, I still love the rec centers and the open space.

I love the Maryland/DC area. I hate the humidity there. I love the water, and the rain. I miss crabs. I miss walking into any museum with no entry fee. With regards to northern CA, hated the traffic, loved site seeing. My family is still there, so I still get to visit both.

I love Estes Park, Glenwood Springs, Palisade peaches in August, Chatfield res with the pups, Rockies baseball, Arvada Street Fair, Dragon Boat Fest, People's Fest at Civic Center Park, Home & Garden Show, concerts at Red Rocks, Garden of the Gods, The Broadmoor, Lake Dillon, Art District Free Days for residents, and driving newbys along Dam Road for the view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 11:57 AM

578 posts, read 1,479,147 times
Thank you for sharing your life experience & view of the world, very much appreciated!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:20 PM

286 posts, read 352,338 times
Quote:
It's the later (amenities, public works, municipal infrastructure, culture).

We can ultimately get a car, but so far, back in Europe, and even in Canada, we didn't feel a need for it.

Btw, the company I'm currently working for has another branch (it is in fact its headquarters) located near Inverness Terrace, in Englewood. From a logistical and urban perspective, do you think it would make more sense to be in Englewood than near Superior/Boulder?

Thank you for your thoughts.
From an accessibility standpoint, englewood and area is infinitely easier to manage without a car/with 1 car. Light rail is much more accessible from there, and that can take you all the way into downtown, and eventually the airport very soon. Light rail goes out to Golden now as well.

RTD

However, it's still pretty suburban in terms of homes and whatnot down there. But at least the englewood location gives the possibility of living in Denver, and light rail down to there. I don't know how close/far your company's office is from the light rail station though. Maybe the Dry Creek station?

If you're truly looking for the urban lifestyle, I really do think you have to live in Denver (and even then, not all neighborhoods of Denver have what you're looking for). The question to you then becomes how to get to work - if you have the 2 locations as options, and you're dedicated to trying to keep the no car lifestyle, then the Englewood location seems the most amenable to trying to do that. It may still be a hassle, but less so than trying to get up to Superior from Denver.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,047,529 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the wise advice!

During the weekends, it was mostly BV (taken near Broadway or Boulder Transit Center), and it was around 2-3PM. With final destination = US36 & McCaslin PnR.

Leaving Boulder around 8am and returning around 5pm during weekdays - would you consider that fine?
If Us36/McCaslin PnR is close enough to your office, then taking BV/BMX/HX to there from Boulder would be fine. It's pretty smooth sailing around 8 am on that stretch, and back at 5 pm. HX is a slightly different route, so depending on where in Boulder you will live, it may be easier to take that rather than B routes.

After reading other comments and another option with an office in Englewood, I do agree that car-free logistics would be better with that office. You could truly live in Denver and commute to Englewood by light rail, especially, if the office is not too far from the station.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:42 AM
qsr

47 posts, read 104,719 times
I've lived in Superior for 4 years and it is one of the nicest suburbs in the metro area when you figure in proximity to bus lines, shopping, and recreation. You can ride your bike anywhere and have access to the mall, Louisville, and the office building you will be working at. I wouldn't want to live here without a car, though. But what you're really paying for out here is the green areas and open space just west of town (and almost zero crime rate.) There is a new development near 36 & McCaslin that will create a lot more density. I don't know what the timeline is, but they are moving a lot of dirt in that area right now.

Having said all of that it is too expensive for me and I'm moving to Arvada where there is a small downtown area and I'm closer to the Denver urban core. I will miss the open space, though.

If you want a semi-urban environment you really have to live south of I-70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado