Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,945 times

Advertisements

Me and my girlfriend are looking into moving to Colorado as we here the medical care there is top notch, and the legal marijuana would help her with her disorder as well. My problem is I can't seem to find a place that has a decently low crime rate but affordable rent costs. I am a heavy machine operator (cnc) and make around 12/hr where im living now, and i've noticed machine operators get paid around the same up there, so im looking to pay about what I pay now for rent, maybe a bit more (650-750/mo)

Does anyone have any advice for me? We've looked into Boulder, Colorado Springs, and Denver. Are there areas in those places where the crime rate is lower? Is it safer than the numbers suggest? Are there better towns that have evaded my searches? Any advice whatsoever would be helpful, this is my first time moving out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:22 AM

126 posts, read 145,546 times
Unfortunately you won't find anything in Denver or Boulder for 650-750/mo. I'm not certain about Colorado Springs, but I suspect that may be low for that area as well. Look at Pueblo or Grand Junction. Both cities have a far lower cost of living than the Denver metro area.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:58 AM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
For lower crime and lower housing costs, the satellite cities and towns of bigger cities generally make sense. Erie has one of the lowest reported crime rates on front range. May not be reliable evidence of actual crime rate (police staffing levels and reporting culture matters) but best guide we have. I assume you can get a decent 1 bedroom in your price range. 2 bedroom might be tough but there may be a few out there. Anywhere closer to Denver or Boulder is likely to be tougher. Near Colorado Springs, Security and Fountain have low reported crime rates (crime tends to concentrate on center cities over suburbs) and are probably the most affordable spots in the area. Still near enough the bigger cities for work, play, medical care. They are low on the coolness scale but you may have to step away from coolness if you want savings and less risk. But a super effort search can sometimes find hidden good / affordable places in expensive areas. Usually places owned by small operators with one or a few places.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-22-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
For lower crime and lower housing costs, the satellite cities and towns of bigger cities generally make sense. Erie has one of the lowest reported crime rates on front range. May not be reliable evidence of actual crime rate (police staffing levels and reporting culture matters) but best guide we have. I assume you can get a decent 1 bedroom in your price range. 2 bedroom might be tough but there may be a few out there. Anywhere closer to Denver or Boulder is likely to be tougher. Near Colorado Springs, Security and Fountain have low reported crime rates (crime tends to concentrate on center cities over suburbs) and are probably the most affordable spots in the area. Still near enough the bigger cities for work, play, medical care. They are low on the coolness scale but you may have to step away from coolness if you want savings and less risk. But a super effort search can sometimes find hidden good / affordable places in expensive areas. Usually places owned by small operators with one or a few places.

Coolness factor is a non-issue for us. All I need is a nice, affordable 1 br in a safe town to get started. once i live in the area and get a feel for things i can start fine-tuning as it were. Ill look into Security and Fountain, thanks for the advice.

I had another question. I heard that ever since marijuana was legalized there was a large influx of people moving in. When my girlfriend asked around for places to move, she had come upon a lot of resistance from people telling her things like 'were all full up' and things like that. Shes from Austin Texas originally and they're having problems with a lot of new people moving in and its causing friction with the locals. Is there animosity towards new people in CO? Or at least, is it common enough for it to be an issue? Or did she just meet a few dicks?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:05 PM

126 posts, read 145,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Coolness factor is a non-issue for us. All I need is a nice, affordable 1 br in a safe town to get started. once i live in the area and get a feel for things i can start fine-tuning as it were. Ill look into Security and Fountain, thanks for the advice.

I had another question. I heard that ever since marijuana was legalized there was a large influx of people moving in. When my girlfriend asked around for places to move, she had come upon a lot of resistance from people telling her things like 'were all full up' and things like that. Shes from Austin Texas originally and they're having problems with a lot of new people moving in and its causing friction with the locals. Is there animosity towards new people in CO? Or at least, is it common enough for it to be an issue? Or did she just meet a few dicks?
In the Denver metro area there is an anti-newcomer vibe coming from natives and those who have been here for a long time. They are particularly hostile toward those coming from California and Texas. This is not due to the marijuana "influx". It's been this way since well before that legislation (I recall it starting in the mid-90's, when I saw my first "Welcome to Colorado. Now go home!" bumper sticker). I don't know if it's this way in the Springs or other parts of the state. I would venture to guess not.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondmoray View Post
...They are particularly hostile toward those coming from California and Texas...
I'd still like to understand this. I'm sure it has been spelled out on this forum, but I don't have a lot of time to search around. Maybe someone can point to "enlightening" posts, or give a short summary. Hopefully it's not one of those "the newcomers are trying to change the state" sentiments.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
I'd still like to understand this. I'm sure it has been spelled out on this forum, but I don't have a lot of time to search around. Maybe someone can point to "enlightening" posts, or give a short summary. Hopefully it's not one of those "the newcomers are trying to change the state" sentiments.
I can't speak for CO, but I know in Texas/Austin the hate for newcomer stems from 1. Hipsters coming to the 'cool' city from Portland and Cali and 'changing' the way the city works and 2. Since there are so many new people, jobs are harder to get and rent becomes more expensive, pushing out long-time residents. I haven't experienced it myself, but I hear about it a lot. States and cities have a culture and they don't like it when other cultures impose themselves.

Either way, I wont let a few bitter jerks stop me from moving to a beautiful state. We all live in America. States can't be secret clubs.

Its good to hear this all didn't start with the marijuana thing. When i first started telling people I wanted to move to CO they all make the same joke, 'must be for the weed', which is annoying because I dont smoke. I'm worried ill have to deal with that sort of judgement from others in my new home, and it might make it hard to make friends...

Old 07-22-2015, 08:10 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Some people will cop an attitude... so it might actually be a good idea to have your story prepared to try to avoid the worst of the attitude or too many questions. Maybe something like... just looking for steady work and a place me and my girlfriend call our own together, our new home. Heard good things about the people, the mountains, just looking for a little of what you already found.

Humble, earnest, flatter. But if they wanna be stuck up, they will. Ignore as best you can and then find folks a little happier, more secure and relaxed. There are out there too.

Security and Fountain have a lot of young folks in the military. As newcomers themselves largely they might be more open than other folks.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-22-2015 at 08:18 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I rented a decent, no thrills 2br apartment in downtown Grand Junction for $700 a month for a few months last year...No one gave me any troubles for not being from there. If anyone gives you attitude it's their problem not yours.

Grand junction itself is alright and relatively close to many cool areas. I'm not a city person which distorted my view of the area.

I could PM you the name of the apartments in Grand Junction if you find work out that way and decide you want to live out there.

Is a machine operator the same as a heavy equipment operator? Because if so, you should be making more than what you mentioned, way more. Anyways good luck.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:24 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post

Its good to hear this all didn't start with the marijuana thing. When i first started telling people I wanted to move to CO they all make the same joke, 'must be for the weed', which is annoying because I dont smoke. I'm worried ill have to deal with that sort of judgement from others in my new home, and it might make it hard to make friends...
It also works in the opposite direction- moving from CO to somewhere else. I just moved back to Texas from Denver last month and I've had 3-4 people see my Colorado plates or ask me where I moved from and when I say "Denver", they drop subtle (and, once, not so subtle) hints about smoking. Like everyone is just sitting around in CO getting stoned all the time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado