Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:56 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGoingEast View Post
You guys would definitely bet on I-70 over Vail being safer than 160 over Wolf Creek?
I-70 over Vail is a piece of cake compared to 160 over Wolf Creek. If something happens on I-70 you can get help. Wolf Creek not so much.

Here is what I would do. Plan for the Albuquerque route over two days. If you check the weather a few days before and it looks clear you can toy in your mind with I-70. That is if it is sunny and predicted to be so on the day you leave. Check the morning you leave. Still sunny with clear roads? Go ahead and do I-70. If that doesn't work then go Albuquerque and allow the extra time. Allow alot of extra time anyways for I-70 because it isn't cruising through the plains driving. You need to be rested, relaxed, alert and fresh for the drive. Trying it all in one attempt is probably a bad idea if you don't know how you do in mountain driving. Take two days.

Honestly based on your post, your brothers feedback and what appears to be your mountain driving experience level I wouldn't touch Wolf Creek with a ten foot pole in the winter.

In any case have your car checked over. Is it AWD/FWD or horrors RWD? How are your tires? It might be prudent to buy some snow tires. Bring chains. Practice putting them on. Bring blankets, food, water, those warming packets for hands etc.
Know the law:
Colorado bill requires good tread, chains on I-70 passenger vehicles - The Denver Post

You are going a long distance. It is unlikely to be clear the entire way. Plan on Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:31 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
You can get nearly real-time road reports by checking the Colorado Department of Transportation website. They have webcams all along I-70 and I understand that the snow plow drivers radio road conditions on a regular basis.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:19 PM

400 posts, read 498,320 times
Wolf Creek Pass in the winter.

http://youtu.be/zt49LJmbbFU

Old 10-24-2015, 12:40 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Accuweather.com has extended forecasts 45 days out. They could change several times between now and then but right now Pagosa Springs / Wolf Creek Pass look ok on Nov. 23 but a week of mild to moderate snow is expected soon after- and could slide up.

I- 40 / 25 would be the easiest. Faster speeds, less worrying about winding small roads, snow & ice on the road, gas / food, etc.

If you take a route thru mountains, time the pass in mid-day.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 AM

6 posts, read 7,551 times
Thank you very much everyone for your comments. You have convinced me that I should plan to go via Albuquerque with the proviso that if the weather appears to be really good on the day before, maybe I will re-consider I-70, but definitely not Wolf Creek Pass.

Unfortunately, I have only one day to make the trip. It's going to be a bear of a drive. No choice.

Thanks for all your advice. I will use the websites you mention to track weather...

Old 11-01-2015, 05:44 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
I drove wolf creek pass once and it was scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado