Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:25 PM

6 posts, read 25,382 times

Advertisements

Home Surfer.com shows a high crime rate in Canon City. Other sites do not. What's the truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
I've seen some stats that show per capita crime has worsened in Cañon City in the last few years. I never have considered Cañon City a crime-ridden place whatsoever. That said, a common myth is that Colorado small towns are crime-free utopias. They are not. Most Colorado towns (excepting some on Colorado's Eastern Plains) have crime stats as bad or worse than the national average (I personally do not consider the national average as an acceptable rate of crime). Places with a lot of tourism, large numbers of second-home properties, high population growth, big divides between wealthy and poor residents, and a lot of turnover in the population over time tend to have higher crime stats. Cañon City does not have all of those characteristics, but it does have some of them. If you want small towns that have generally very low crime stats, you need to look at small towns that have relatively stable populations in the Midwest and Plains states--they tend to be the best.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 PM

17,991 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Meth may be a problem there.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,465,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Meth may be a problem there.
Unfortunately, meth is a big problem just about everywhere. I don't think that there are more meth users per capita in smaller communities or rural areas, but those areas tend to be popular for the "Beavis and Butthead" local labs (as one law enforcement meth expert in Colorado has called them), as well as being popular places for the Mexican cartels distributing imported meth to set up shop to distribute into the metro areas and resorts. The reason for that is that small communities and rural areas in Colorado tend to have small and underfunded law enforcement agencies, and overrun court systems--both becoming even less effective as Colorado's festering long-term budgetary and fiscal crisis slowly strangles them.

For the uninitiated, Colorado's rural areas have been popular places for the illegal drug trade to set up shop to distribute to metro areas and the resorts for decades. It's nothing new.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM

6 posts, read 25,382 times
Thanks for the info, McGowdog and Jazzlover. Sounds a lot like an area here in So. Cal near the beautiful area of Idyllwild. A few miles northeast of this mountain paradise is a remote area called Anza where meth is a big deal. Anyone on this forum currently in Canon City to comment?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskittyx3 View Post
Thanks for the info, McGowdog and Jazzlover. Sounds a lot like an area here in So. Cal near the beautiful area of Idyllwild. A few miles northeast of this mountain paradise is a remote area called Anza where meth is a big deal. Anyone on this forum currently in Canon City to comment?
I live in Canon City...
crime and meth are not huge problems here. The town is not overrun with meth addicts or criminals (well, there are lots of criminals but they are already in prison )

Canon City is not at all a scary place - as it is often made out to be. It's lovely, friendly, peaceful.

Yes, crime happens, but an armed robbery would be a big deal here, unlike in Colorado Springs where it seems to happen daily, even multiple times a day.

Another thing to mention is that the police here are VERY responsive. I hear a noise on the back porch and the cops are here in less than a minute to shoo off a racoon. Seriously.

Conversely, I recently witnessed a robbery in progress in Colorado Springs and called 911 only to be told that they had no officers available to respond. They never even called me back to follow-up or anything.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,471 times
I have lived in Canon City most of my life. Yes, there is crime but most of the time the crime is something like some kids setting fireworks off to scare a cat or something.I feel VERY safe in this town. I hardly ever lock my house or my car.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
The term high crime, brings to mind, two squirrels battling it out on the upper branches of a big tree.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,709 times
Canon City is filled with criminals. TONS of them. The good thing is that most of them are already behind bars .

Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM

17,991 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
I live in Canon City...
crime and meth are not huge problems here.
It's good that it's not on your radar but that town/county has a big drug/meth problem... statistically... from what I've heard from folks who work in law enforcement.

But I think it's a neat town that has some really good businesses, mom and pops, etc.

My favorite mechanic is out there. Hilltop grocery has the best ribeye steaks, albeit pricey. Petite Chablis is an awesome restaurant that has now taken over the place adjacent and has awesome coffee and pastries, etc.

Those prisons and the DOC in general must employ half the residents in Pueblo West as I see parking lots full of them carpooling out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado