Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado prohibit holding a phone while driving?
Yes, prohibit holding a phone while driving 29 70.73%
No, don't prohibit holding a phone while driving 12 29.27%
Eh, what's up doc? I'm undecided... 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:15 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times

Advertisements

It looks like this issue is getting some traction:

Let

"Now Colorado lawmakers are trying again to make the brain dead pay attention.

A bill before a state Senate committee has been held over for a vote on Wednesday. It would charge $500 and add five points against a license. There are some trivial ambiguities holding it up. What if the driver wasn’t among the brain dead, but simply making a call?

As a daily commuter in this besieged metropolis, I say it’s not enough. This is not a Nanny State worry. Lawmakers need to realize they are dealing with a uniquely powerful and stunningly amoral techo-cultural invasion that exists only to please itself and public safety be damned.

The brain dead must be stopped.

All jokes aside, those typing while driving are killing and maiming and tying up traffic for thousands of hours a year."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times
I would love to see it. We moved here from Maryland where a hands-free law has been in effect for years, and not just for texting. I would guess the law is somewhat effective because when we got to CO, I was unpleasantly amazed by the number of drivers with phones in their hands. We never saw this many people handling phones when behind the wheel in the DC area.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:49 PM

812 posts, read 1,470,265 times
A healthy percentage of people everywhere have always been selfish obnoxious boors but the addition of phones with screens in their hands has taken it to a new level of insanity in recent years, in so many many many ways. Laws against distracted driving are only common-sense, but really should just be the starting place.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:31 PM

371 posts, read 361,867 times
No- It's not holding the phone in one hand that's the real problem. It's looking at it and typing on it with the other hand, which leaves none of these critical resources to the task of driving.

Glancing at Google Maps while stopped at a light creates virtually no danger, but that would presumably be treated the same by such a new law. Hand-free phone laws discriminate against owners of older cars that are not so equipped. And in my judgement, the full suite of complex, screen-driven tech that comes with modern hand-free calling is a much worse distraction from the road. Most dash-mounted screens I've seen are too dim for easy daytime use and are distractingly bright at night. They demand precise attention to read text and select small buttons, with no haptic feedback, all in a moving vehicle bouncing around on our lousy roads.

So I will continue to use my hand-held phone for essential calls. It's just inconvenient enough not to tempt me to talk to excess. My dash will be dark by day and night, with only simple analog controls that offer hot or cold air, loud or soft music, and no other connectivity whatsoever. My dash will be so boring that my eyes will be on the road. See you there.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
I think Colorado should ban holding a phone while driving.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:55 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
CDOT reports sharp increase in traffic fatalities in 2016 | FOX31 Denver

"Distracted drivers" -- how much do you want to bet that the majority of the "distractions" were phones?

And perhaps if cellphone usage carried the same penalties as DUIs or, at least, driving without a seatbelt, perhaps more lives would be saved. (Of course, that would mean more vigilance and enforcement by police and state troopers, but imo, it would be worth it.)

Old 06-02-2017, 05:52 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Default Fines increased for texting while driving

Colorado toughens penalties for texting while driving

"DENVER — Colorado’s penalty for texting while driving has increased from $50 to $300.

Drivers also will get four points on their license instead of one point per violation under a bill signed into law Thursday by Gov. John Hickenlooper."

Although this is a step in the right direction, we ought to follow California and prohibit people from holding cell phones while driving. I see people doing this every day.

Most newer cars have a bluetooth wireless connection built in so there is no reason to hold a phone other than ignorance or laziness.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:10 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times
Agree

Old 06-02-2017, 07:15 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Although this is a step in the right direction, we ought to follow California and prohibit people from holding cell phones while driving. I see people doing this every day.

Most newer cars have a bluetooth wireless connection built in so there is no reason to hold a phone other than ignorance or laziness.
Agree. This is what we had in Maryland as well. I thought about this thread yesterday when I was once again almost hit by a driver losing control at an intersection because he was driving one-handed with a phone to the ear while making a turn. This happens way too often.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
That's assuming you're driving a 2008 or newer vehicle. Not everyone has a car that new, but I believe every cell had a hands free option.

We had distracted driving in CO long before the advent of cell phones and will have it long after such a law passes mandating hands free devices or connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: