Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado prohibit holding a phone while driving?
Yes, prohibit holding a phone while driving 29 70.73%
No, don't prohibit holding a phone while driving 12 29.27%
Eh, what's up doc? I'm undecided... 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 04:01 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,298,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
This law makes no demands of new car drivers, but it discriminates against old car owners.
New car drivers are discriminated against with outrageous registration fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 06:33 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Ban the use of phones in cars PERIOD! I like my cell phone but it doesn't leave my pocket the moment I get into my car and it should be that way for everyone.

This new law is a step in the right direction.

I work in the tech world. It pays for my livelyhood but I hate what devices are doing to our society.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post

Does anybody really think that a driver using a hands-free connection is no longer distracted? No, their mind is on their phone call, or their mapping app, or their text messages. You just can't see it, because they don't have a phone up to their ear. Problem solved?
This isn't going to be popular, but no, I don't think holding the phone is the problem. We hold drinks, most of us drive 1 handed, etc. I think the problem is what Wheatridge is pointing out. You are doing 2 complex tasks at once & can't give proper attention to both of them. Having & maintaining a real conversation, short of "I'll be there in 5 minutes", is a complex task that requires a higher level of brain work. So is driving. The 2 are fundamentally incompatible. Whether you hold the phone or not, I don't believe makes a whit of difference.

However, I don't see states doing a total ban. Does any state have a ban on driving & talking at the same time?

Old 06-03-2017, 05:21 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
A poll has been added to this thread to get a sense of public opinion on the topic. Please vote, the poll is private.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:26 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Ban the use of phones in cars PERIOD! I like my cell phone but it doesn't leave my pocket the moment I get into my car and it should be that way for everyone.

This new law is a step in the right direction.

I work in the tech world. It pays for my livelyhood but I hate what devices are doing to our society.
Yup. When our kids started driving about 10 years ago, it was a mom & dad law that you did not use the phone in any capacity while driving. If you needed to use it, you pulled off the road. They all still follow this today. Sometimes when I call one of them, he will say, "You're not driving, are you?"

Old 06-04-2017, 09:20 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I don't think it needs to be a nanny state California-style law, though it is something I would hope most people have enough common sense to not do anyway.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:51 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
This isn't going to be popular, but no, I don't think holding the phone is the problem. We hold drinks, most of us drive 1 handed, etc. I think the problem is what Wheatridge is pointing out. You are doing 2 complex tasks at once & can't give proper attention to both of them. Having & maintaining a real conversation, short of "I'll be there in 5 minutes", is a complex task that requires a higher level of brain work. So is driving. The 2 are fundamentally incompatible. Whether you hold the phone or not, I don't believe makes a whit of difference.
By that logic, you shouldn't have a conversation with people IN the car either. Rather, I think that the greatest risk is when the process of accessing, dialing, or communicating on a device requires you to take your eyes off the road. I'm of the opinion that the driver should pull over to answer a call, or (better yet) just let it go to voicemail or turn it off while driving.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I don't think it needs to be a nanny state California-style law, though it is something I would hope most people have enough common sense to not do anyway.
If the law helps protect *other people* from distracted drivers, that is not nannying.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I just dropped by this forum because I liked what Colorado Rambler had to say on Politics.

New Hampshire has banned using hand held devices while driving a vehicle. It is supposed to apply to thing that need dialing, scrolling, texting or distracting observation such as a GPS. It does not apply to voice controlled devices hard wired into the vehicle.

It has had some positive effect but as far as I can tell not all that much. As I use an old fashioned "flip fone" I am not distracted by all the fancy effects. I am also not distracted because I do not use "hand held devices" more complex than a coffee cup or cruller. My cars do not have modern gadgets as the newest is 13 years old.

I still see many drivers still using these distractors on the roads. A couple of cops I know have told me that the fancy devices really help our friendly NH trees get up close and personal with some drivers.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:43 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I frequently travel to the San Francisco Bay area to see my grand kids.

Since that law passed I have not seen one person holding a cell phone while driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: