Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Colorado prohibit holding a phone while driving?
Yes, prohibit holding a phone while driving 29 70.73%
No, don't prohibit holding a phone while driving 12 29.27%
Eh, what's up doc? I'm undecided... 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 08:13 AM

371 posts, read 361,867 times

Advertisements

This law makes no demands of new car drivers, but it discriminates against old car owners. The average car in use today is 11 years old, so I've heard. My 2009 doesn't come with bluetooth, or even an input jack to the stereo. But it's a good car, worth keeping.

Does anybody really think that a driver using a hands-free connection is no longer distracted? No, their mind is on their phone call, or their mapping app, or their text messages. You just can't see it, because they don't have a phone up to their ear. Problem solved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 08:17 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
This law makes no demands of new car drivers, but it discriminates against old car owners. The average car in use today is 11 years old, so I've heard. My 2009 doesn't come with bluetooth, or even an input jack to the stereo. But it's a good car, worth keeping.

Does anybody really think that a driver using a hands-free connection is no longer distracted? No, their mind is on their phone call, or their mapping app, or their text messages. You just can't see it, because they don't have a phone up to their ear. Problem solved?
A $40 accessory solves the problem for old cars

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142BTA...MOUTH-III.html

Old 06-02-2017, 08:32 AM

371 posts, read 361,867 times
Which plugs into the car's AUX jack, which I told you, my car doesn't have.

Even if you mount your phone on a gooseneck mount, which I have, you still have to punch in numbers and addresses, and read maps. For my sixty-something eyes, reading maps and street names is best done at close range. So a fixed mount is of little benefit to me.

Once again, I prefer to hold the phone to make the call. By making the phone easier (and invisible) to use, you just make it more tempting and encourage more phone use.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post

Regardless whether it is hands-free or hand-held, who the flock made cell phones our master anyway?

There is a simple way to keep it from being a hazard to other people: SHUT IT OFF when driving, or leave it on but ignore it. No special features or new technology required for either of those choices, merely a tiny bit of self-discipline. Problem solved.

I agree with ColoradoRambler. Ramp up the fines, bigtime. That won't make the distractees disappear but it will eventually reduce the number of incidences. The fine for each incidence per driver would have to be increased to have more of a deterrent effect.

First time--you gambled, got caught, you lost.
Second time--you're not that bright, are you?
Third time--this must be a habit of yours! Insurance surcharge for YOU.

Last edited by pikabike; 06-02-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM

Agreed, turning off phone or go direct to voicemail while driving is the best solution.

The problem with that is that people won't do it. Those phones have become their virtual reality.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 AM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Regardless whether it is hands-free or hand-held, who the flock made cell phones our master anyway?

There is a simple way to keep it from being a hazard to other people: SHUT IT OFF when driving, or leave it on but ignore it. No special features or new technology required for either of those choices, merely a tiny bit of self-discipline. Problem solved.

I agree with ColoradoRambler. Ramp up the fines, bigtime. That won't make the distractees disappear but it will eventually reduce the number of incidences. Each incidence per driver would have to be increased to have more of a deterrent effect.

First time--you gambled, got caught, you lost.
Second time--you're not that bright, are you?
Third time--this must be a habit of yours! Insurance surcharge for YOU.
Couldn't have said it better.

Day before yesterday I almost got creamed on U.S. Hwy 50 near Fruita High School, had the green light to turn left, noticed an SUV was not slowing down--stopped as I got halfway in the intersection. The driver had the right hand to the ear. And blew right through the stop light, missing me by just a few feet.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Agreed, turning off phone or go direct to voicemail while driving is the best solution.

The problem with that is that people won't do it. Those phones have become their virtual reality.
People say they need private time. Well, they can start by keeping the phone off while driving.

If this were only a matter of their own lives, it wouldn't be important except to them and theirs. But they are endangering other people.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 AM

579 posts, read 367,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

Day before yesterday I almost got creamed on U.S. Hwy 50 near Fruita High School, had the green light to turn left, noticed an SUV was not slowing down--stopped as I got halfway in the intersection. The driver had the right hand to the ear. And blew right through the stop light, missing me by just a few feet.
Did you do a U-turn and report the driver to police? I sure would have. This nonsense must stop.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:44 AM

135 posts, read 153,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Colorado toughens penalties for texting while driving

"DENVER — Colorado’s penalty for texting while driving has increased from $50 to $300.

Drivers also will get four points on their license instead of one point per violation under a bill signed into law Thursday by Gov. John Hickenlooper."

Although this is a step in the right direction, we ought to follow California and prohibit people from holding cell phones while driving. I see people doing this every day.

Most newer cars have a bluetooth wireless connection built in so there is no reason to hold a phone other than ignorance or laziness.
This isn't the best option for everyone. My job is to deliver food to people so i often need to look at google maps to find my way. I pay attention to the road but sometimes I need to glance at my phone for directions. Also I have a vehicle from 1998 so it has no extra bells and whistles.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr1995 View Post
This isn't the best option for everyone. My job is to deliver food to people so i often need to look at google maps to find my way. I pay attention to the road but sometimes I need to glance at my phone for directions. Also I have a vehicle from 1998 so it has no extra bells and whistles.
I use a Garmin mounted on top of the dash for navigation.

The maps are all pre-loaded, the display is large, and it lets me keep both hands on the wheel. It cost less than $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of: