Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:06 PM

55 posts, read 217,664 times

Advertisements

sharf315,

I've checked out some of those resorts..they look beautiful but most are closed for winter...bummer! People do ask why we are moving but most seem to understand right away and are a bit jealous! The cost of living here is just out of control. Many people will never leave (great weather, pretty community, friends and family). It has a lot going for it if you can afford it and don't mind traffic, pollution, crowds, expensive activities. It's a "city" gal vs "country" gal thing, I guess! It was pretty small and rural when we moved here but is becoming more urban every year. Just isn't really for us anymore. However, there are jobs here, so there's a big risk there. If we love Durango, we're going to take that risk. How about you? Is it a done deal?

LFults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,921 times
Hi Shar, I have two cats and one small dog. If I could afford Durango, Id be there right now. Farmington is a much cheaper city but Durango is really beautiful.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFults View Post
I_LUVNM,

I'm happy to hear that Durango will welcome my pets as well as my family!! We are heading to Durango for our trip at the end of this month. We are staying in Durango for 3 nights and would like to stay in Bayfield for a couple of nights as well. I have the Durango end covered, but having trouble where to stay in Bayfield. Would ideally love a "little cabin in the woods", with a little price tag to go with it!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, let me know. Also, has anyone been to or stayed at the SawMill in Bayfield?

LFults
I have seen the SawMill but dont know much about it. I will ask my Durango friend about it and let you know. I stayed at Lightner Creek B and B near Durango awhile back. Really nice but very limited on rooms. Let you know more about what I find out from her later.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:26 PM

55 posts, read 217,664 times
I have seen the SawMill but dont know much about it. I will ask my Durango friend about it and let you know. I stayed at Lightner Creek B and B near Durango awhile back. Really nice but very limited on rooms. Let you know more about what I find out from her later.

Thanks, would appreciate it. I actually have the Lightner Creek booked for the first three days...was kind of hoping for a "cabin in the woods" type thing toward Bayfield for the next 3 nights, but so many are closed for winter or just more $ than I am willing to spend. Any info you can find out will be much appreicated!

LFults

Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 PM

I asked around and also my friend in Durango and I was told Bear Paw Lodge by Vallecito has the cabins you are wanting. I dont know if they are open or not but she said that sounds like what you are looking for and you can Google Bear Paw Lodge and they have a website. She didnt know about Saw Mill which she called the Saw Mill Point Lodge. She said she thought it would be good but no personal info about it. To the west near Mancos her favorite was Blue Lake Ranch and Sundance Bear Lodge, Blue Lake being her fav but I havent been there. Bear Paw is what you sound like you want if they are open but if so, that would be the one, ie cabins, water front lake, etc. HTH.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:52 AM

147 posts, read 627,332 times
Default To Bigglynals and Simmer

I hate to dash your dreams but finding a place for less than $250k in a decent area of Colorado is not very realistic anymore. I live in SW Colorado and the median price of a home in Durango is now close to $400k, and that doesn't buy too much of a home. You can still get a condo in Durango in the price range you are seeking, but don't expect too much there either. Since this is a desireable area of the state to live in, it has really caught on with out of state investors/second home owners and prices have skyrocketed in the last few years. Pagosa Springs, Durango, Cortez - they are all becoming very expensive! The plus side is that besides the beauty of the area, crime is very low, people are friendly, and there is an abundance of outdoor activities year round.

As for affordable towns less than 100k in population you are generally looking towards eastern Colorado; Sterling, Lamar, Pueblo, etc. Not really the most desirable places but low cost of living/housing.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:06 AM

108 posts, read 378,702 times
I found the commute to have become excessive in 1993. Too much traffic at that time during the rush hours. Today, it would be insane.
Consider it only if you can commute in off-peak hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado