Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,207 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am planning on picking up my bags and moving to Colorado. I am coming out of Southern California. 25 years old and planning on a fresh new start. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a city so I can start job hunting. Preferably a city where young people are and easy to meet new people! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:43 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
What do you do?

Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 AM

26,215 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Jason, the big dog for jobs is the Denver metro area; not a cheap place these days.

Until you tell us a lot more about yourself there is little we can recommend. (Budget to buy/rent, work location, sports, etc)

You can do some research by using padmapper.com to see rental prices in Denver, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:08 PM

I will be working as an Electrical Engineer. I plan on leaving in summer!

Old 12-17-2018, 07:38 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
What sort of things do you like to do? What are you looking for in a city? What is your budget?

Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 PM

I am really sociable. I been told that I am the definition of an extrovert. As long as there is a young crowd and people to meet, I will be okay and happy. I am looking towards Colorado for snowboarding mostly apart from a fresh start. So somewhere preferably near a resort.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:31 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times
Denver. RiNo neighborhood. You can be at a resort in under 2 hours. Vail is 90 minutes with no traffic, but you must travel at off peak times.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:26 PM

8,500 posts, read 8,794,511 times
The biggest cities for jobs are, of course, Denver, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins. See what you can get. For ease of access to work and entertainment, you may wish to live inside the city. If you prefer less density or cheaper rent (offset by more transportation expenses & time spent), there are plenty of suburbs.

Any of these 3 should be alright if you can get work. After that it pretty much depends on your preferences for city size, traffic, entertainment / shopping level, etc. You could look in Summit County is you want to snowboard frequently and perhaps party with ski crowd. You could also look at Durango and other places. It is wide open til you put limiting criteria on the search like housing prices, political lean, city size, airport size, etc.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
@ age 25 and EE / engineer... (& if you want Colorado for EZ access to Outdoors and mtns / recreation activities) ... Consider staying OUT of the competitive 'conventional' jobs (DTC).

I would focus on the industry in Niwot / Boulder / Golden and live in Boulder. There are some really good / innovative / interesting companies and federal tech jobs near Boulder. You will probably want to live in Boulder region at some point, but maybe not forever (best to sample Boulder first, as you will determine your preferred place after 2 - 3 yrs of scouting). It would be great to land a meaningful job in Golden / Boulder research facility (such as NREL). Cookie Cutter engineering jobs... let them pass!

This gets you beyond / ahead of Denver / prairie / hoards of people seeking the Mtns (daily). You can visit Denver social life a couple times / month < 30 min in 'off-traffic' times. (Or use Transit).

CoS has some possibilities and also closer to Mtns / recreation than DTC.
many friends worked in CoS tech center, next door to Garden of Gods (nice for noon bike rides). Pretty sweet QoL, (recreation / activities / community / access to southern CO and NM)

If dating / gals are a priority... Be advised... CoS has several highly populated military operations USAFA - Ft Carson + Peterson / Cheyenne Mtn / Schriever AF operations.

If you REALLY want a fresh start (sometime soon) consider international employment.
Great for resume, experience, travel, meeting new friends / culture, world perspective.

A friend just returned from a 2 yr E engineering gig in NZ. Being below age 31 will make this much easier, but EE is a "Demand" career in many countries (including NZ), so much easier to get a "Green Card"

Area near Queenstown, NZ is quite similar to Colorado, (Skiing and nice lakes / hiking / climbing). Coast is accessible within 4 hrs. Can get flights to glaciers / Mt Cook recreation. And there are thousands of euro gals under age 31 in NZ.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-18-2018 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado