Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,830 times

Advertisements

My husband has accepted a promotion at work, and we are moving to Alamosa, CO. We currently live in Grand Junction, CO. I have looked through so many threads, and they just all say not to. It’s cold. It’s desolate. The fact is that we are moving to Alamosa. This isn’t a should we question, the job has been accepted, we’re going. I was born and raised in Montana, so I am very familiar with freezing temps, and needing a jacket at night even in the middle of summer. It will be an adjustment for our kids, but they’ll live. I’m also not concerned with being in the middle of nowhere. I actually prefer it. I do lots of online shopping, and can make do with what’s available. I’m also not concerned with the economy. My husband’s job isn’t going anywhere, and I’m currently a stay at home mom, and plan to continue. We are going to be going down soon to look at houses. Are there any areas that are better than others? There were a couple houses in Sanford we were looking at online, but then we learned that Sanford is a very Mormon area, so now we are rethinking. We don’t have anything against Mormons, but we aren’t Mormon, and don’t want our kids feeling different or left out at school because they aren’t. Any other areas like that, that maybe we should avoid? So, we’ve been looking in Alamosa, and just outside. I grew up in Montana with some land, and would like to have some land.
My husband and son are very concerned with the quality of internet. How is the internet there? Is it better in town? Or can you be outside of town a little, and still have good internet? My son will be in high school next year, and plays sports. Is Alamosa the best area for athletics? Any parts of town to avoid, if we do choose to live in Alamosa? If we get a house with a couple acres, do we need to worry about water? Or should it be okay since the house and well are already established? Any certain questions I may need to ask regarding that issue? Anything else that maybe helpful? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 01:01 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
IMO you'll do fine in Alamosa. Visited once and liked it. If you're willing to live in Sanford, which is about 15 miles south of town then you have a wide area in which to search.

There are no supermarkets in Sanford or LaJara, you'll be driving up to Alamosa for everything, including movies, restaurants and various forms of shopping, medical, etc. Why not just live in/near town so kids have a variety of other kids to socialize with and husband has a short drive to work. Just my two cents.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:10 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,693,917 times
You will be close to a lot of outdoor stuff in almost all directions similar to Grand Junction.
I have nothing against Mormons, but I've worked with them. They tend to bond better with other Mormons.
I would personally live closer to town. As you head south to the New Mexican border, it gets pretty desolate.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:28 PM

6,821 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Don't forget also that Alamosa is a college town, too. You'll be fine.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:39 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Since you're fine with almost everything everyone else complains about when it comes to living in the valley, you'll do fine. Sanford has the best schools, but any of the towns surrounding Alamosa are good places to live too, keeping in mind that the temperature here as I am typing this at 8:40PM is -12 degrees. Should be around -20 by morning.

High speed fiber is coming. See the "Our Network" tab for where and when:

http://www.ciello.com/

Old 12-29-2018, 10:19 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
I don't know the quality of the ratings but one school rating site has Sargent School in Monte Vista highly rated (9 on scale of 10) while Alamosa is fairly low rated (5). Del Norte is in rated in between (7).

Alamosa has about 500 students. The other two around 125-150. Do you or your student have a preference?

You'd be closer to the mountains in the two smaller towns. Options. Some older neighborhoods with big shade trees made an impression on me rolling thru.

Fwiw, the same school site suggests Sanford spends a very high amount but rated on par with Alamosa, there.

If you can, talk to educators and parents directly or find the conversation about the schools on social media or in the newspapers.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-29-2018 at 11:06 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
NW Crow is absolutely right. I wasn't paying enough attention. I meant to say that the Sargent school district is the best around here, not Sanford.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:51 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,774,574 times
Alamosa is probably in a higher division for sports and may have more offerings. Does level of competition matter? There all small to modest sized schools compared to what's typical in bigger cities / suburbs. Alamosa may travel farther to get to bigger town opponents.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-29-2018 at 11:03 PM..

Old 12-30-2018, 06:10 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,693,917 times
Colorado Life magazine Colorado Life
has a story on Alamosa this month.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:22 AM

75 posts, read 62,708 times
Adams State College has a program for high school students to earn concurrent credit.

https://ahs.alamosa.k12.co.us/athletics-c2cc6bf5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado