Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 02:04 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,287,341 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any first-hand experience using a ground-source heat pump system in Colorado? Most of what I find when searching for info is from people trying to sell the systems. Not much out there written by happy users.

I'm talking about a heat pump system that uses a deeply-buried closed plumbing loop to circulate coolant and transfer heat to/from the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 02:22 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
There's a lesson to be learned about clay soils here:
au milieu des vaches: Clay & Geothermal Heating

Old 04-05-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
There's a lesson to be learned about clay soils here:
au milieu des vaches: Clay & Geothermal Heating (http://www.aumilieudesvaches.com/energy/clay_geothermal_heating_13.php - broken link)
Thanks...and also an interesting viewpoint on power conversion efficiencies.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:37 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Default you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Thanks...and also an interesting viewpoint on power conversion efficiencies.
I thought so too.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:31 PM

166 posts, read 420,068 times
if you think clay soils could be a problem, you might want to get a copy of this... Potentially Swelling Soil and Rock in the Front Range Urban Corridor, Colorado (http://dnr.state.co.us/geostore/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=EG-07 - broken link)

re: geothermal heat pumps, geoexchange/intermountain energy/delta-montrose electric association is pushing them in the montrose area, see here... </title> <title> <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0"> <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document"> <meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="none, default"> (broken link) since they report 400+ geoexchange customers, you might try talking to some of the longer term users and see what they really think about the technology.

as an aside, dmea installed (2000) at their hq a h power residential scale 10kw fuel cell. June, 2000 Energy Services Bulletin although this model extracts hydrogen from propane, i prefer a natural gas version since it's cheaper. in addition to generating electricity, a side benefit is using the fuel cell waste heat for hot water. fwiw

Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 AM

I find most of the references out there are really old.

I found an outfit up in Black Forest that does ground source geothermal systems...guess when I arrive I'll have to go see if they can give me some local references.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:01 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Does anyone have any first-hand experience using a ground-source heat pump system in Colorado? Most of what I find when searching for info is from people trying to sell the systems. Not much out there written by happy users.
Try the forums at
GreenBuildingTalk - Insulating Concrete Forms (ICF), Structural Insulated Panels (SIP), Radiant Heating, Geothermal Heat Pumps, Solar Power

lots of happy users and advice. The system your referring to is commonly called a Close Loops Geothermal system, its about average in price and efficency (went talking about the types of geothermal systems) the other types are open loop geothermal (where you use well water) and DX Geothermal (Direct exchange, the system uses feon instead of water).

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Ground source heat pumps make a lot of sense in places that require mechanical air conditioning in summer, since the compressor units can also be used for air conditioning, with a corresponding betterment in energy efficiency using the underground heat exchanger. In Colorado, the case for these units is much less compelling, since few places require mechanical air conditioning to be comfortable. See the related thread on A/C vs. swamp cooling ( http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...nditioner.html ).

The best bang for the buck here in Colorado is just to have a very well-insulated and relatively air-tight house (being aware of "sick building syndrome" and potential radon issues if the house is TOO airtight), and a very efficient furnace--95% for forced air and something approaching that for radiant hot-water is available. Finally, the biggest savings (which most overhoused Americans will eventually have to embrace) is just LESS SQUARE FOOTAGE. I recently moved and cut my heated square footage by about 40%--and am enjoying corresponding savings in energy. What's ridiculous about it is that most people spend umpteen amount of money to buy, heat, cool, and maintain a bunch of square footage just to store a bunch of crap that they seldom even look at or use. I am still being pretty ruthless about eliminating more of that junk out of my life--and doing it is quite liberating, I'm finding out.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:51 AM

132 posts, read 673,606 times
Default How to stuff a house

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
... What's ridiculous about it is that most people spend umpteen amount of money to buy, heat, cool, and maintain a bunch of square footage just to store a bunch of crap that they seldom even look at or use...
I totally agree. You hit the nail right on the head. I'm guilty of that myself. In every house I have ever lived, the house has been packed to the ceiling with "stuff". In 25 years of owing houses, this is the first house where I could park (1) car in the garage. The garage is 900 square feet, and all I can get it in is one car even now. I have given away truckloads of stuff to the various charities over the years. Hauled tons of stuff to the junkyard. Sold others. And I still have about 1/2 of our house dedicated to "junk".

I miss the "smaller" 2,500 SF houses we use to have. It helped keep the junk level down a bit. With a large house on a large lot, you can really go to town and load up on the junk

Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeach View Post
With a large house on a large lot, you can really go to town and load up on the junk
I think this is one of the laws of physics: Crap expands to fill the available space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado