Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,588 times

Advertisements

Hello!!
I am from Alabama and recently graduated from college. I want a "change of scenery" and have heard good things about Colorado. I have never visited CO and I've only been skiing once in my life. I'm 24, female, single and looking for a break/gap year before starting grad school next year.
I've heard about young adults working and living at ski resorts. Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on what this is really like???
Would employee housing be the best choice?? (I'm just not sure about sharing a bedroom after living alone).

I love the outdoors and would like to meet people my age. Not into hard core partying or anything though. Also, I don't have lots of money to spend.

I'm open to all ideas....so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 36,245 times
Colorado Resort towns do not really offer housing for workers. It is an expensive market and typically there are several renters in a single unit just to pay the bills. My best advice to you is do your homework before making that leap. It is and can be a fun learning experience...but be prepared to pay the price...

Will the job cover your bills?

Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 PM

179 posts, read 621,498 times
Almost all of the ski resorts offer employee housing. It's just really difficult getting into them.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 36,245 times
No..I beg to differ...Not all...only a small few..
And with those that do offer employee housing it is typical that you end up..in the long run..."owing your soul to the company store"...
Just like the old song says...

[url=http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/13189/finding_employement_in_the_colorado.html]Finding Employement in the Colorado Ski Country - Associated Content[/url]

There is some Gov't housing in many outlying areas but that is not offered by the Ski Resorts. Many employees will drive 30+/- miles one way to get work in Resort towns...

Old 06-27-2008, 05:25 PM

179 posts, read 621,498 times
Employee Housing...

Vail:
Vail Beaver Creek Ski Resort Jobs

Aspen:
Aspen Housing Authority

Crested Butte:
Crested Butte -- Affordable Housing

Breckenridge:
http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/documents/page/Employee%20Housing.pdf (broken link)

Winter Park:
Winter Park - Employee Housing

Steamboat:
Steamboat Employment - Official Steamboat Ski & Resort Website

Beaver Creek:
SkiJob1

Telluride:
Town of Telluride, Colorado: Housing

Copper:
Copper Mountain - Housing (http://www.coppercolorado.com/jobs/housing/index.htm - broken link)

Snowmass:
http://www.tosv.com/PDFs/Housing/For...pplication.pdf

Purgatory is building their employee housing as we speak.

They need to give their employees housing or else who would suck the toes of the rich when the rich come into town?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,492,012 times
Ask your question (and make sure you have a thick skin) over at Teton Gravity Research Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado