Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 17,916 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone:

I'm looking to move our west, my heart skips a beat to the sound of Wyoming or Colorado. I am 25, have lived in Brooklyn and Philadelphia and am looking to venture into a somewhat small town or rather a charming town with quaint coffee shops, music, authentic restaurants, at least 1 used bookstore and easy access to swimming/skiing etc and hmm maybe some various arts centers... And, as I am single and will be on my own, maybe a place where it wouldn't be impossible to befriend some fellow mid twenty to thirty somethings, I do like to go out at times. I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited by dubs08; 07-30-2008 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 06:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
What do you do for a living?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 PM

I work for a non-profit in the arts, it would be nice to do non-profit work or stay in the arts but I am looking for change so I'm not attached to anything right now.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink A bit further south

Taos, NM. For that you mentioned, it seems an almost perfect fit. Particularly since you have experience in and interest in the arts. Santa Fe, NM as well, although quite a bit larger than Taos.

If Wyoming, Jackson may be the closest approximation. Kind of. A beautiful state, particularly in the northwest, with many charming small towns. But I doubt many of them would have the sensibilities you seek.

My first thought in Colorado was Aspen. While fitting many of your desires, it may be a bit larger than you wish, maybe not. But quite expensive, and that may be an issue.

Another thought is Telluride, CO. Smaller than Aspen, it also might prove a good fit. But expensive as well.

La Veta, CO might be a real possibility. This because it would be significantly less expensive than other areas I've mentioned in Colorado, and because it is small yet with a seemingly pleasant ambience. Out of the way and low key in comparison.

I should also mention Carbondale, CO and other towns in the Roaring Fork valley north of Aspen, but all inexpensive only in relation to Aspen.

Boulder, CO should suite you admirably, but is expensive, and quite possibly larger than you wish.

There exist other possibilities as well. But if flexible you might wish to look a bit further south, as in New Mexico. Taos and Santa Fe are expensive, although less so than some of these towns in Colorado. But there are other out of the way places as well you might discover. There is an often strong spirit and sensibility there. If you really do favor the arts, worth considering.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times
Anywhere in WY might be too small. Santa Fe, NM gets my vote, elevation 7000ft, population 70,000, very artsy.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 AM

nm huh? okay i'm looking into it. i must say, while aspen sounds incredible, the idea of being exclusively around wealthy tourists makes me cringe a bit. eeek judgemental much? i wouldnt mind being put in my place if i am wrong, it would be nice if im wrong. i am interested in authentic living, where outdoor activity abounds, i can party if i so wish, yet where college kids and youger crowds dont drown the place out. portland and seattle are a little too hip, 8 of my friends are moving out there this spring! nm might very well be an option. i appreciate both of your input very much, thank you! (and welcome more)

Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
What kind of climate/scenery do you like? Taos is a nice area, but if you've got your heart set on Colorado, try Durango. Buffalo, Wyoming and Sheridan, Wyoming are both nice, too.

I could name probably half a dozen places that, depending on your tastes, may or may not be to your liking.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM

okay, specifically, lakes and mountains are what i crave. it would be nice to be able to ski. i will want to work and make a niche for myself so i will need to make friends etc. i have loved brooklyn and philadelphia for the art and music scenes and i will certainly need a place with some happenings but i dont expect nor want another hipster city. where are interesting things happening, where the overall feel is loose and open, not everyone is married but its not TOO young a place...skiing/swiming/hiking could be a daily option? bookstores, coffee shops, and some good bars are essential, nice people a must. hope im not being annoyingly particular. thanks again. maybe i'm dreaming haha. but i am going to drive cross and check it all out, just need some narrowing.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:54 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs08 View Post
okay, specifically, lakes and mountains are what i crave. it would be nice to be able to ski. i will want to work and make a niche for myself so i will need to make friends etc. i have loved brooklyn and philadelphia for the art and music scenes and i will certainly need a place with some happenings but i dont expect nor want another hipster city. where are interesting things happening, where the overall feel is loose and open, not everyone is married but its not TOO young a place...skiing/swiming/hiking could be a daily option? bookstores, coffee shops, and some good bars are essential, nice people a must. hope im not being annoyingly particular. thanks again. maybe i'm dreaming haha. but i am going to drive cross and check it all out, just need some narrowing.
Knowing what you want is a good thing. I love my wife but she's one of those people that has no earthly idea what she wants, but she definitely knows what she doesn't want.

The problem with a lot of the ski resort towns is that they're expensive to live in and costs go WAY up during ski season.

It sounds to me like you might enjoy Estes Park, Colorado. It sits on the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park at 7500 feet, but it's only an hour drive from Fort Collins, and 90 minutes from downtown Denver. Granted it's pretty pricey to live there and it's not what I'd consider a great night spot, but you're within an easy drive of 3 college towns and 14,000ft mountain peaks.

I also like The Black Hills of western South Dakota. They're only about half as high as the Rockies and filled with tourists during the summer, but during the winter, Deadwood is pretty secluded, and it still has its old west feel.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Each their own

Estes Park, CO enjoys an absolutely gorgeous setting. Roughly 7,500 feet in elevation, definitely in the mountains, yet close to such Front Range towns as Longmont, CO, Loveland, CO and Ft. Collins, CO, AND it is entwined with the magnificent Rocky Mountain National Park.

However, it may not be for you. It would be no place for skiing, save cross country. There are no ski areas there, and a long drive to ski areas in Summit County. The closest ski area, and even that not close, is Eldora just outside of Nederland, CO. A nice little place, but no match for larger and more well known areas such as Winter Park.

Hiking would be great. There are municipal pools, otherwise swimming in one of the high mountain lakes, and lovely cold water.

It would not be too young a place. Rather the opposite. The majority of the residents are older or retired. Lots of tourists in the summer, but most of them on the sedentary side: either confined to SUVs in driving through the Park, or all over downtown Estes Park shopping. Some do actually use the fine hiking trails within the Park, but in comparison a place such as Summit County is FAR more active and youthful.

There is a Starbuck's, several good independent coffee houses. One cute little book shop, and a couple other options. Two bars downtown, one on the edge of town, I know of. In other words, Estes Park is a great place for what it is but different in flavor from other resort areas.

That is why I mentioned Taos, NM. In its bars and coffee houses you are certain to meet a far more diverse and eclectic, and off beat, group than you ever will in Estes Park. Both beautiful, but Estes Park perfectly situated for mountains, Taos, at 7,000 feet, in a lovely pocket of pasture surrounded by sagebrush, directly adjacent mountains and Wheeler Peak (13,161, highest point in New Mexico). Taos Ski Valley is just outside town with excellent advanced skiing. It would be entirely possible to live in the mountains and commute into Taos.

Boulder, CO may most closely match Portland, OR and Seattle, WA in ambience. Although obviously smaller than these two much larger cities. Would presume most of the places you will be looking at will be much smaller. It may take a little looking but you should come to something you are fairly happy with. There are a lot of options to choose from. Some places have much more of a West Coast feel and sensibility to them than others, but they are all heavily influenced by geography and place. It will be a mixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado