Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times

Advertisements

Ha! Canon City!! My town!
Love it and, it is so close to many areas. It is also one of the greenest areas! It is growing, which you might not want but, we have the best of both worlds here!
I live in the east side of town, and can't say enough good things!
BTW, I grew up in Denver and didn't even know it existed.
It is called the "Climate Capital" of Colorado and also the "Banana Belt".
There are tons of rafting companies here and, there will be a new Hydro Water Park going in on the Arkansas.
We have hiking trails along the Arkansas and at Tunnel Drive.
The only negative for me would be, the stupid roundabout they are putting in right now. I just don't get it.
There are many homes here with irrigation rights (a big plus) and, you can get a sizable chunk of land at a decent price.
My youngest son graduated HS here and, is now a cryptologist in Hawaii.
He likes CC better....go figure?
Good luck and, drive as much of the area as possible...it is very beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I guess the thing that always put me off Canon City was all the high security prisons surrounding town.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:38 PM

189 posts, read 711,050 times
Default What about Cortez?

I don't like Canon City either cause of the prison(s) and the fact it's on the eastern slope -- I prefer the western slope if I can ever manage to get happy here. I'm thinking about trying Cortez -- some nice new housing developments going in there, plus I smell an investment because it's close to Durango and I think it (Cortez) will develop nicely in the next several years. I've been told by a native there that he thinks the growth will be slow but steady. It's hard to know whom to believe. Input anyone?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
FiftyFiftyAboutCO wrote:
It's hard to know whom to believe.
Try the ouija board. The answer it provides is likely to be as accurrate as anyones GUESS.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 AM

189 posts, read 711,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
FiftyFiftyAboutCO wrote:
It's hard to know whom to believe.
Try the ouija board. The answer it provides is likely to be as accurrate as anyones GUESS.
Nah, I'm not a ouija board-er. I'm trying to win the Lotto so I can afford to move around every 6 months looking for utopia. Truth is, I don't believe the natives of anywhere -- they definitely have a different viewpoint than an outsider. F'rinstance, I've been on the NJ forums. Some of them say they've been in every state and many foreign countries, but still think Jersey's the best. Yeah right. I grew up there -- and I don't agree. My parents were the "natives", not me. I was just born there against my will and held captive for 20 years till I could leave.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:12 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
rpankratz - What part of Wisconsin are you moving from? My family moved from Black River Falls to Craig, CO in the mid-80s, and although they miss the sugar maple trees they love Craig.

Granted it's not your typical Colorado scene. Craig is more of a desert, but you've got Steamboat an hour east. The only big box store is Wal-Mart and even though Craig is spread out everything is within walking or biking distance. Elkhead Reservoir is about 10 miles east of town, and Steamboat Lake is about a 90 minute drive. The cost of living is lower than a resort town, but it's going up because of the natural gas drilling south of town and the high-dollar development in Steamboat pushing people to Craig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado