Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times

Advertisements

Ranger: Not to dissuade your beliefs or argue, but consider this.... As a white person, do you think you are more or less likely to experience racism living in a mostly white town? Or put another way, do you think that you would have the same perspective as those 5 blacks?

For example, I was often tortured and called racist names, along with people making fun of my hair and skin color. When I grew older, I came back to visit and ran into some friends. I told them of my experience and they were shocked. They had no idea. They thought that I was just fine and was just a quiet person. (funny, too, because I'm not quiet at all, but maybe stayed quiet in those times). My point here is that while you, or someone else might think life is hunky dory, it might not be so. It's not only race, overweight people, people with disformaties, or disabilities, I'm sure go through this too.

I find your take on the human race vs. color very interesting given where you grew up. Where I grew up I was the only black all through elementary, jr. high and high school.

I think sometimes that, actually, I truly believe that our perceptions are just that, ours. While you might not see black tricia or white john, does not mean that is their perception. Because of my upbringing, race was a focal point in my day to day activities, and I think that's really skewed my perception of society. For years I was focused on black me, maybe because everyone else made such a big deal too. I do remember being very young and not even knowing I was different or even brown. For most people, I don't think they actually know that until someone points it out. So I don't think it's inner city kids or vice versa in particular, but all kids that sometimes end up in a place where they are pointed out as different.

I do agree with you, Denver has more open-minded people than other comparative cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 03:16 PM

16 posts, read 70,182 times
Everyones comments are very interesting and after reading different threads it seems like if we choose colorado it will be Denver. I was looking at homes for sale and they seems very small. Is this typical for Denver? I live in SoCal right now. Also, I keep reading that people are not very friendly there? That it is hard to make friends. Would you say this is true for the most part? Thank you

Old 10-24-2008, 07:49 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,083,746 times
LIMYL,
No, it's NOT true. Nobody cares about your race or your bi-racial family,(no more than anywhere else)!
I feel sorry for anyone who feels racism (in whatever form).
I too, felt this growing up. I wanted sooooooooo bad to be, short, mexican, and just "blend" in. Grew up in Denver, graduated from North.
Does anyone care now? NO. Why? Because I am Blonde, 6ft tall and, skinny. Popular now, but NOT then!!!
My sister on the other hand is, short, dark (she got the indian and I got the danish). So what!!
Times are MUCH MORE DIFFERENT! Not perfect but, different.
For gosh sakes, we are more than likely to have a black president (Denver had a black Mayor (and other political offices). So does anyone care? NOPE!! At least not the majority of the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will be accepted wherever you go (especially in Colorado, and soon, everywhere) soooo....don't stress, afterall we are ALL the same in different packages!
Welcome to Colorado!

I don't mean to offend ANYONE!!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 AM

I somewhat agree with Sheridan in that people here are very friendly. I think it can be hard to make friends (anywhere). My DH and I often wish we had couple friends but can't seem to find anyone. We don't have kids and that seems to really set us apart here. We are in our 30s. Colorado (and this part of the country) seem to be heavily family oriented, so if you are a youngish couple not planning on having kids you tend to be isolated.

Sheridan: I see where you are coming from, I don't care about those old days either in high school. Funny though, I feel like I'm still dealing with the same issues in high school in work! I see the same bullies, the same childish crap, just like in high school but in my job! lol

p.s. - I don't think you offended anyone, just giving your opinion.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:37 AM

64 posts, read 162,862 times
In Illinois I attended the mega church Willow Creek; so naturally I wanted to attend another "mega" church now that I am in Colorado. I was thinking about going to the mega church in Colorado Springs.

But in light of this information regarding Colorado Springs I'm going to go elsewhere. The last thing I need is to receive LOOKS and whispers. I already received a few nasty looks here in Littleton. Of course, I return the looks. LOL!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:44 AM

Wanttomoveeast I agree and disagree with you. I went to the dentist office last week and after chatting with the receptionist and she gave me her number. Attend a little co-worker party with my sister and received an invitation to find some good restaurants with some other women.

So I find that Colordoians are nice and friendly. But I do agree that it may be a little difficult finding a friend.

Also, I noticed EVERY SINGLE WOMAN that I spoke to the first thing she asked me was do you have any children. I was like what the heck! I never in my life been asked that question so many times in my life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
I somewhat agree with Sheridan in that people here are very friendly. I think it can be hard to make friends (anywhere). My DH and I often wish we had couple friends but can't seem to find anyone. We don't have kids and that seems to really set us apart here. We are in our 30s. Colorado (and this part of the country) seem to be heavily family oriented, so if you are a youngish couple not planning on having kids you tend to be isolated.

Sheridan: I see where you are coming from, I don't care about those old days either in high school. Funny though, I feel like I'm still dealing with the same issues in high school in work! I see the same bullies, the same childish crap, just like in high school but in my job! lol

p.s. - I don't think you offended anyone, just giving your opinion.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Well, Andromeda, I think I said I thought Coloradoans are friendly. Or maybe I didn't. Sometimes I go back and forth. You have to understand, I've lived my entire life here, so I have a different perspective than someone who grew up outside this state and maybe in a bigger city.

The kid issue is what really keeps us from making friends, only because with kids, you do entirely different things. For example, hanging out at the bouncy bounce playground isn't exactly our cup of tea. And I know lots of people who make friends by having kid playdates and stuff.

Like I said, kids are really predominant here. I get three reactions when I say we aren't having them: 1) oh you'll change your mind; 2) oh you can't have them?; and 3) oh you must hate children. And none of those things are true, it's interesting how that's the thought process.

I've tried joining some social groups recently in topics I like, so maybe that'll help. It really helps to get yourself out there.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM

Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I thought Colo. Springs was huge on church goers? Is it just not your kind of church goers? I know there's a poster here from the Springs, maybe she'll give me insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda76 View Post
In Illinois I attended the mega church Willow Creek; so naturally I wanted to attend another "mega" church now that I am in Colorado. I was thinking about going to the mega church in Colorado Springs.

But in light of this information regarding Colorado Springs I'm going to go elsewhere. The last thing I need is to receive LOOKS and whispers. I already received a few nasty looks here in Littleton. Of course, I return the looks. LOL!

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM

I thought the same about CS that was why I wanted to attend that mega church out there. But in an early post someone stated how CS tempermeant for blacks has changed over the years. I understand there is ignorance everywhere and CS is a big town and all. But I don't want to deal with other people's ignorance.

It's my type of church, it similiar to my church in Chicago.

Also, I was agreeing/disagreeing with you on the easiness of making friends out here with/without children. Without children it is very difficult to make friends. With children I imagine is alot easier. I'm hoping as a single woman that it becomes easy to make friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Maybe I'm totally wrong here, but I thought Colo. Springs was huge on church goers? Is it just not your kind of church goers? I know there's a poster here from the Springs, maybe she'll give me insight.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 AM

Andromeda: OK, I get it (about the kids/friends). Thanks for clarifying. And while my thoughts about the Springs were of the big churches, I admit I was thinking white big churches. I doubt that Colo. has the mega church you are talking about like in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado