Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 AM

16 posts, read 70,144 times

Advertisements

Hello, can someone please help me. I live in cali and there is no problem with my interracial family in fact it seems like 80% of the children in my area seem to be bi-racial. How is Colorado with interracial couples and families? I realize no matter where you move there are always issues with ignorance but I wonder is there certain places where it is more accepted in Colorado. Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:44 PM

387 posts, read 677,546 times
I would say it doesn't matter. Colorado isn't the rural South. Interracial families will be well-accepted anywhere in Colorado.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Although I was horrified to hear the attiubes of a friends neighbor who lives in a burb of Colorado Springs: Woodmore!

Out and out racist, wow!

I'd suggest sticking to the urban. liberal areas.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,717,818 times
Urban definitely. So that leaves Denver. And I had a new thought this morning re: this topic. Whenever race or diversity is brought up in the Denver forum, there are tons of non-ethnics (whites) that pipe up saying oh yes, Denver is very accepting, etc. I am always thinking, well, what about that jerk who was staring down me and my DH, what about the comments I've overheard or have been told point blank to my face?

Well, my new thought is, if all of these people are saying that Denver accepts biracials and blacks and ethnics, then they must truly think that. Meaning, there must be a lot of accepting folks in this town. Just a thought. I'm trying to be more positive in my life. Am I doing good?

Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 PM

16 posts, read 70,144 times
Yes it would be helpful to hear from an interracial person or a african american since my children are mixed with Black and white which as you know they are considered black and I am white. So my point is I am so used to being in California where there are no issues where I live and I just want my children to be comfortable. Thank you for your help. It sounds like the best place should we move to Colorado would be Denver.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
Lalaharma- I grew up in Co Sp, I have not lived there since '93, but since I have a couple of friends still there I visit occassionally. I have noticed a definate change in the climate there towards interracial couples and toward black people. It has really changed from when I was living there for the worst, IMO. I date interracially, and never personally felt issues in the past, but even just visiting there now I get a weird feeling. Which is too bad. I always look forward to leaving!
Denver is much more urban and liberal, IMO-I agree. Not only that, but I prefer the "big" city feel of Denver anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Although I was horrified to hear the attiubes of a friends neighbor who lives in a burb of Colorado Springs: Woodmore!

Out and out racist, wow!

I'd suggest sticking to the urban. liberal areas.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Luvin: My mother is white and my father is black. My mother remarried and had children, so now I am the only brown one with a huge white family! I have had no contact with my biological father.

One thing I have come to terms with is that as long as I live in the US, race will always be an issue and I'll be dealing with it for the rest of my life. Not that being brown is bad, because my skin rocks!

Denver is pretty safe from those types of things, but I think that urban definitely wins out when you want to give your kids exposure to other cultures and keep them from huge racial issues (excluding many parts of the South that is, although there are great areas in the South, including Atlanta).

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmylife View Post
Yes it would be helpful to hear from an interracial person or a african american since my children are mixed with Black and white which as you know they are considered black and I am white. So my point is I am so used to being in California where there are no issues where I live and I just want my children to be comfortable. Thank you for your help. It sounds like the best place should we move to Colorado would be Denver.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:24 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Urban definitely. So that leaves Denver. And I had a new thought this morning re: this topic. Whenever race or diversity is brought up in the Denver forum, there are tons of non-ethnics (whites) that pipe up saying oh yes, Denver is very accepting, etc. I am always thinking, well, what about that jerk who was staring down me and my DH, what about the comments I've overheard or have been told point blank to my face?

Well, my new thought is, if all of these people are saying that Denver accepts biracials and blacks and ethnics, then they must truly think that. Meaning, there must be a lot of accepting folks in this town. Just a thought. I'm trying to be more positive in my life. Am I doing good?
Hmmm ... well I grew up in Colorado and I say yes, mainly because it's YOUR marriage and your business not mine. If you are a good neighbor, I welcome you, is that a good answer?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 AM

Awesome answer Ranger! I find that I'm comfortable in Denver, even with the occasional stares, the occasional awful remark, etc. I want to move for other reasons, mainly because I'm too comfortable! But it's not so much a bad mark on Denver. Just personal.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Awesome answer Ranger! I find that I'm comfortable in Denver, even with the occasional stares, the occasional awful remark, etc. I want to move for other reasons, mainly because I'm too comfortable! But it's not so much a bad mark on Denver. Just personal.
Sorry to hear that wantomoveeast, I believe there is racism everywhere but Coloradans are very open-minded in general. What I do find strange is I grew up in rural Colorado, a county with 1 school K-12 and we had about 5 colored children or so when I went to school, I believe they were all adopted but I never saw any form of racism back home and heck you can call us hillbillies but I think we grew up with the reinforced notion for a good 18 year that there was no such thing as color, just humans. Even today when I see someone I see Laura or Michael and I wonder if some kids for example in inner-cities are trained to see color first for example, oh he's Black Michael and that's White Laura and that could be a problem in a polarized setting, which in Denver of course is more Hispanic and White than it is Black and White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado