Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,551,562 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am thinking about moving to Colorado and I would liek to know how the employment atmosphere is like there for someone with only a 4- year Business degree and not much experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 04:17 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Not that hot here, for anyone. If you've a job where you are, best stay there until you get a firm job here, or anywhere.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM

331 posts, read 990,109 times
I'm in the tech industry (software engineering), and lately I've seen job postings for entry-level positions requiring 2 - 5 years' experience. My thoughts are that places are looking to hire experienced workers for entry-level salaries.

I've been turned down for a couple of jobs (junior- and entry-level) because I've only got about 2 years' experience developing software. Times suck, my friend.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM

529 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
I'm in the tech industry (software engineering), and lately I've seen job postings for entry-level positions requiring 2 - 5 years' experience. My thoughts are that places are looking to hire experienced workers for entry-level salaries.

I've been turned down for a couple of jobs (junior- and entry-level) because I've only got about 2 years' experience developing software. Times suck, my friend.
Things will turn around at some point. I just hope it's not 10 years from now.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:41 PM

299 posts, read 903,621 times
The job market in Denver is better than most of the state for people with 4-year degrees, but it's still pretty tough. I'd suggest looking somewhere in the Midwest where unemployment is low and the cost of living is low, too. If you want to survive in Denver, you'll have to make a minimum of $45,000 a year.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
The job market in Denver is better than most of the state for people with 4-year degrees, but it's still pretty tough. I'd suggest looking somewhere in the Midwest where unemployment is low and the cost of living is low, too. If you want to survive in Denver, you'll have to make a minimum of $45,000 a year.
I second that. $45,000 a year will let you live comfortably in Denver. Would $35K be good enough for Pueblo? I bet that's hard to make there.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:37 PM

299 posts, read 903,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
I second that. $45,000 a year will let you live comfortably in Denver. Would $35K be good enough for Pueblo? I bet that's hard to make there.
IMO, $35K would be above average in Pueblo (for a single person). The problem is that there aren't enough jobs around here that pay that kind of money, which is another story for another time.

OP, don't consider Pueblo, because a 4-year degree of any kind has no value here.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
$35,000 is more then enough to live in Pueblo but I would look for a job before you moved here. If you found one then I would move here but if not there are more IT jobs in Denver then Pueblo. That is why I am a advoate for more primary jobs here but that is for another topic.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
$35,000 is more then enough to live in Pueblo but I would look for a job before you moved here. If you found one then I would move here but if not there are more IT jobs in Denver then Pueblo. That is why I am a advoate for more primary jobs here but that is for another topic.

I appreciate the tips.

I'm not really interested in relo-ing to Pueblo right now. I want to see if it goes the way of CO Springs. Also, I don't like the way guns rights are headed in CO.

If I had to live on the front range, P-town is my first choice though. They know how to make chili there. It's at least on the south end of the Front Range sprawl blob. The growth west of the Pueblo metro area on US50 is amazingly......scary.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
I appreciate the tips.

I'm not really interested in relo-ing to Pueblo right now. I want to see if it goes the way of CO Springs. Also, I don't like the way guns rights are headed in CO.

If I had to live on the front range, P-town is my first choice though. They know how to make chili there. It's at least on the south end of the Front Range sprawl blob. The growth west of the Pueblo metro area on US50 is amazingly......scary.
Pueblo is doing all it can, not to go the way of the Springs as we feel they are a great example of how not to grow. That is not to say we don't want to grow and be as large if not larger then the Springs we just don't want to do it by endless sprawl then sprawl the sprawl. That is why you see Pueblo focus on its downtown and university area much more then you see them doing that in Colorado Springs.

As far as Pueblo West that was a mistake done back in the 1960's when sprawl was not seen as much of a bad thing like it is today. Also keep in mind they are not in the city so Pueblo has no control over them. That is why with new developments like Pueblo Springs, Pueblo is going to annex it so we can plan it out so it won't be the sprawl that Pueblo West is but you don't see Colorado Springs learning so I imagine that their large new development, Bannen Lewis, will be more sprawl with little thought in the next 20 years or so.

Finally I want to add that some sprawl is not only good but necessary as most people like to lives in houses but the key is to manage it so it does not become a mess like you see in some areas of Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado