Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 53,479 times

Advertisements

Hi there -

My boyfriend, puppy and I are looking to move to Colorado, but we're not sure which areas would give us the most green vegetation. We've both been in Phoenix for school, and this is definitely not the place for us! Too brown and dirty!

Any ideas on what areas would give us good gardening, camping, and a nice green grass? A nearby river or lake would be ideal.. And so would a good school system and friendly town (of course). We have friends and family in Denver, but we are not tied to that spot. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Well, as millions have proven you can grow nice, lush, green grass in the middle of the high plains desert. Green lawns abound along the Front Range, but they're not normal for the area and they consume a buttload of water.

Your best bet for all those things would be somewhere in the foothills or mountains; however, living in those areas can sometimes be very cost-prohibitive.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

9 posts, read 53,479 times
Definitely not looking to be wasteful with watering the lawn! They do that here in Phoenix and it is just plain ridiculous, as you can imagine. Was just wondering what cities/counties would offer natural greenery (if any). Or have I just been spoiled by my east coast roots? Thanks again.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandieBunny View Post
Definitely not looking to be wasteful with watering the lawn! They do that here in Phoenix and it is just plain ridiculous, as you can imagine. Was just wondering what cities/counties would offer natural greenery (if any). Or have I just been spoiled by my east coast roots? Thanks again.
You've been spoiled by your east coast roots I'll have to say.....you may be very disappointed here.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
If you want green grass, there are two things to look at:

Use buffalo grass, which is a native species that doesn't require much water. The downside is that it isn't as soft and plush as bluegrass, but if you can live with that aspect, it will save you a LOT of money on your water bill, and you don't have to mow it as often.

It also helps to find a place with big trees on the south side of the lawn to provide shade. Your grass will be greener and healthier in the shade, and won't require as much water to stay green.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM

Well I haven't traveled Colorado to the extent of Jazzlover so I know I'll invariably leave a ton of places off the list, but when I think of places with a fair amount of vegetation, I think of Dillon, Silverthorne, Vail, Breckenridge, Ouray, Carbondale, Gould/Upper Poudre Canyon, Oak Creek, and Yampa.

Now, Dillon, Silverthorne, Vail, & Breckenridge are all resort towns and housing is ridiculously high.

Carbondale is along the Aspen/Glenwood corridor and housing isn't as overpriced as Aspen, but it's well above the state average.

Ouray is also above the state average.

Yampa and Oak Creek are below the state average but that's because they're out in the middle of nowhere and there's not much to the local economy.

The Upper Poudre Canyon & Gould areas are very sparsely populated and quite honestly I wouldn't want to spend a winter there.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 PM

17,998 posts, read 27,448,014 times
I know! Move someplace where your backyard is adjacent to a golf course. But then you'll only have green part of the year.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
In some ways our grass is LESS green than Phoenix -- that city's warm climate means you can have year round green grass if you are willing to water it all year. Here, we mostly shut off our sprinklers in October and fire them up again in April (at the earliest). Once you stop watering the grass in Colorado, it will go dormant very quickly and turn a shade of brown.

If you just want year-round greenery in general (as opposed to grass, which is seasonal) you could consider living in the foothills (like Evergreen, for example), or along the Palmer Divide -- these areas are going to look something like Flagstaff, Arizona, if you're familliar with that.

Also, most of the historic areas of the city of Denver do appear lush by anyone's standards, in the summer, with hundred year old trees lining the sides of the streets. But in October the leaves will fall, the grass will go dormant, and it will look quite brown again.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandieBunny View Post
Hi there -

My boyfriend, puppy and I are looking to move to Colorado, but we're not sure which areas would give us the most green vegetation. We've both been in Phoenix for school, and this is definitely not the place for us! Too brown and dirty!

Any ideas on what areas would give us good gardening, camping, and a nice green grass? A nearby river or lake would be ideal.. And so would a good school system and friendly town (of course). We have friends and family in Denver, but we are not tied to that spot. Thanks so much!
I would suggest either looking to the Pacific Northwest-- Oregon's Willamette Valley perhaps-- or somewhere in the southeast United States-- like Kentucky or Tennessee or Alabama or something. Colorado is NOT what you are looking for. Colorado is very brown. And there's nothing wrong with brown. Brown is beautiful. But if you don't like brown, you're not going to like Colorado. And this is not an ideal place for gardening.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 PM

If you don't mind places that can get bitterly cold in the winter, I can recommend the driftless area of West-Central Wisconsin. There are rolling, rocky hills and plenty of old-growth forests. Not too hot in the summer, butt cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado