Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of taking a weekend(4 day) trip to Colorado and Utah, between early to mid November. I'd be coming from Chicago, leaving on a Wednesday night around 9pm. Take 80 then 76 to Denver, assume I'd arrive in the morning, and stroll around the city to see what it has to offer. I would stay in Denver that night. The next morning I'd like to see the high country (I'm thinking around 10,000ft. or higher...), and the extremely scenic spots Colorado has to offer. Any recommendations on quiet towns in the mountains? I realize ski season is starting, but I'm not interested in skiing, just photography/mountain roads, etc., so I would actually prefer to be away from the ski towns(to stay- would like to check a few out during the day though), assuming towns that aren't centered around ski resorts would have cheaper lodging.

I appreciate it in advance, I've never been to Colorado so any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times
Leave Denver via 285 S to Buena Vista, continues S on 285 than go west on 50. You'll go over Monarch Pass, continue west through Gunnison on 50 to Montrose. South on 550 the Million Dollar Highway to Ouray and Silverton to Durango. Than come back E on 160 through Pagosa Springs to Center. Than N on 285 to Buena Vista now NE on 24 through Leadville till you hit 70 just W of Vail (Minturn). Than head E on 70 which will take you back to Denver. If you are afraid of heights though Red Mountain Pass will kick your tail. Not much for guard rails and lots of avalanche chutes but so, so beautiful. Just my $.02 RP

Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 AM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
Thanks for the suggestion. However when I looked at the route on the map, I figured it would be worth going to see the arches in Moab as long as I'm "that direction". What do you think of this route?:

Driving Directions from Denver, CO to Moab, UT

Do I need snow chains or anything of the sort?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:48 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
The route you posted is certainly an option and will get you through some spectacular scenery, ranging from high country, passes and mountains to the high desert. I would certainly recommend taking chains and survival type gear to be on the safe. It's always a good idea to take those things when travelling in the mountains.

If you decide to go the I70 route instead I've got a couple suggestions that will make it a very enjoyable and scenic route for you:

Going west on I70, a couple miles before you hit the Eisenhower tunnel there's a highway that takes a roundabout way to the town of Dillon. It's highway 6. You'd enjoy this because it's a scenic route that goes up to about 12,000 feet. It passes through some pretty country and great views.

Another suggestion: once you make it past Dillon, take Highway 91 south to Leadville, then take Hwy 24 back to Vail. Again, passing through some spectacular high country.

Either way, if you end up in Moab, you might as well see the Canyonlands, which is like a mini-Grand Canyon and in my opinion is even more spectacular than the Arches.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 AM

345 posts, read 974,156 times
One route I take sometimes is i70 up to Frisco, 9 to Breckenridge and onto Fairplay then 285 back into the city.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Remember there's always the chance of the high passes and areas blocked off and impassible from snow.

Sounds like an ambitious distance for a 4-day weekend. Just driving into Canyonlands and out again is a day's drive.
It's all gorgeous.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:25 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,319 times
It does sound like too much for 4 days. Moab is amazing, as well as Canyonlands. I second Durango! Great Sand Dunes is amazing! I've made the loop from Denver, down Colorado Springs, over thru Durango, up to Montrose, into Gunnison, Breckenridge, back to Denver in about 8 days. (Not that it took that long, but lingered a lot) Enjoy!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:33 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. However when I looked at the route on the map, I figured it would be worth going to see the arches in Moab as long as I'm "that direction".
If you do this, don't forget about the Arches National Park! IUt is a must for anyone who drives by that area.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Leave Denver via 285 S to Buena Vista, continues S on 285 than go west on 50. You'll go over Monarch Pass, continue west through Gunnison on 50 to Montrose. South on 550 the Million Dollar Highway to Ouray and Silverton to Durango. Than come back E on 160 through Pagosa Springs to Center. Than N on 285 to Buena Vista now NE on 24 through Leadville till you hit 70 just W of Vail (Minturn). Than head E on 70 which will take you back to Denver. If you are afraid of heights though Red Mountain Pass will kick your tail. Not much for guard rails and lots of avalanche chutes but so, so beautiful. Just my $.02 RP
I really like this route, but what will 550 be like if there's snow? Is the Million Dollar Hwy even open in mid November? Perhaps.

I've done Wolf Creek Pass (Pagosa to South Fork on 160) in the winter and it's good to have some chains/cables and a few bungie cords handy for the trip down... just incase.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
McGowdog is right. Proveik's route really showcases what Colorado's mountains are all about. From Leadville to Salida it's one 14,000 ft. peak after another. That million dollar highway has already gotten some good storms in the last couple weeks, but it's doable. Monarch pass is a little easier drive, was just through there a few days ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado