Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,569 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of retiring to the Copper gulch/ Glen Vista area out side Canon City. We were there once this summer and just got back this week. We really like that area and was wondering if anyone has opinions or imfo (good or bad)about the area. Just trying to find out as much as possible before deciding on such a big move.
Any help is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
I'm a single guy and I fell in love with the area back in 2006 and came real close to buying a property there. I think it's quite affordable but I worry about the isolation. One road in, one road out, and it was damaged from flooding in 2008 I believe. I haven't lived above 7000' elevation, so I hesitated since the climate is indeed quite different from Canon City. Electricity can be spotty in the wintertime, I'm told, so be prepared with firewood and food. Many properties have water that smells bad. The property I came close to buying had a 1GPM well but the water was perfect. Some of the dirt roads can be difficult to traverse when the snow falls and melts, so I'm sure you're aware that a 4x4 vehicle is essential. Some people I spoke with said their kids hated living there because there wasn't much to do. I ride my bike all over where I live now and I think I'd have a hard time doing the same thing in Glen Vista. As I'm looking for a place to survive what I think will be tough times ahead, I have reluctantly turned my attention to other areas in other states, but I think the area west of Canon City to Salida is a wonderful place. Westcliffe is also nice but I think it's even more isolated and gets more snow. It's also more expensive for some reason, could be the sweeping vista of the Sangre de Cristos.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
This might have something to do with it. Its a uranium mill superfund site.
Cotter Uranium Mill
Colorado Independent » Cañon City uranium contamination looms over Montrose mill battle
RP

Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
The Glen Vista area is more than 10 miles west and 2000' higher than the uranium mill site, which is just about 1 mile south of Canon City. I don't think it has or will have any impact on the area the OP and I are familiar with. But it is a reason to reconsider living south of the river in Canon City, but then, sadly, there are other reasons as well. The community could be much more than it is, but I think the politics of the town have kept it from, um, improving. It's certainly in the banana belt of Colorado with some of the best winter weather (meaning least inclement) on the east side of the mountains.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 10-30-2009 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-31-2009, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 7,569 times
Thanks for all the responses. I think that the isolation would be the only issue to address for us. Also the danger of fire. We have two 4x4s so thats not an issue. I would still need to work part time and think that I should be able to pick up something in Canon City. Do you think that the Cotters issue would affect the water in Florence also? I kept getting a smell of something in the air there. Is there a plant or something there that I'm not aware of?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,366 times
Default glenn vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum View Post
My wife and I are thinking of retiring to the Copper gulch/ Glen Vista area out side Canon City. We were there once this summer and just got back this week. We really like that area and was wondering if anyone has opinions or imfo (good or bad)about the area. Just trying to find out as much as possible before deciding on such a big move.
Any help is much appreciated
We have lived up here for almost three years and I love it but we have to move for work. If I was retired we would stay. The winters are not too bad but we live very close to copper gulch. If you like atv, dirtbikes or walks it is very good. Fishing is very close. The only thing bad about here is that is a long ways to town. We have only lost power once for about three hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado