Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 PM

20 posts, read 171,591 times

Advertisements

My family and I have been looking at places to move to that there are open spaces for our dogs to go running (whippets) and has a college. I am also wanting to sail. We have been checking out Oregon, but are looking closer to New Mexico since alot of the family live there.

We are hoping to find towns where it doesnt get too cold too.

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:25 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,472 times
ithaca? madison? burlington? kinda cold. gainesville? austin? davis and reno are within an hour or so of tahoe. salt lake? anyplace in CA by the ocean? all kinda far from NM, except maybe austin - there's a river and ... some lakes nearby, right? boulder has some lakes people sail on - the "lakes" are more like reservoirs with few trees and not very big, for the most part. let me know if you find this place - sounds pretty good

Last edited by hello-world; 05-17-2007 at 09:45 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 PM

20 posts, read 171,591 times
we were looking into cities in colorado?

Anyone know of places in Colorado which have open spaces for dogs to run freely and that there is a college nearby?

Old 05-18-2007, 12:18 AM

291 posts, read 2,075,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awama View Post

Anyone know of places in Colorado which have open spaces for dogs to run freely and that there is a college nearby?
You might want to define "lake". I lived on Lake Erie for some time and a real lake is something you can't see the opposite shore. There are but a handful of lakes in Colorado, and even fewer near a college. Gunnison comes to mind first, but it is ungodly cold in the winter (-20 many nights).

All the towns with colleges are quite nice: Boulder, Fort Collins, Colorado Springs, (Denver? sure, but it's not a 'college town'), Grand Junction, Gunnison, Durango. All but the first 4 have wide open spaces, but Gunnison is the only one with a sizeable lake nearby. Boulder has their reservoir and Ft Collins has Horsetooth reservoir.

Fort Collins is really the only one that acts like a college town. Boulder is quite different, but in the other cases the colleges are too small to make a difference in the 'feel' of the community.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:15 AM

476 posts, read 2,319,118 times
Quote:
My family and I have been looking at places to move to that there are open spaces for our dogs to go running (whippets) and has a college. I am also wanting to sail. We have been checking out Oregon, but are looking closer to New Mexico since alot of the family live there.

We are hoping to find towns where it doesnt get too cold too.

Any information would be appreciated.
That sounds like Durango. It is a very friendly dog city, you see them everywhere and even have a dog park just for dogs. There is Fort Lewis College with around 5,000 students or so. There are many lakes in the Durango area - Navajo Lake is the largest lake in New Mexico and it is close by as well as Vallecito, the third largest lake in Colorado, nearby too, as well as many others. You are right by the border of New Mexico and can be in NM in less than 30 minutes. The area is mild for Colorado. You probably wouldnt want to go north of there where the winters are harsher. Just stay in Durango or south of there.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 AM

110 posts, read 473,976 times
I agree that Durango fits the bill the best IF it qualifies as a "city" in your mind. It really depends on the size of town/city that you are looking for.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:41 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Grand junction area is better priced than Durango. The lakes are up on the mesa though not in town.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,472 times
if colorado's got to be it (and not TX, e.g.), then like i said, boulder might be worth a look. the ft collins, co springs, and durango ideas sound like worthy looks, too. durango doesn't strike me as a "college town", but i guess you're just looking for any college being around, and there is a small college there. i suppose you could check out gunnison, too (western state college is there, and another reservoir's nearby). "lakes" in colorado are going to be quite small/reservoirish or like ponds in much of the rest of the country, for the most part. reservoirs can fluctuate in level significantly - and as water gets short, so should your keel and hey...i'd like to check out navajo lake, myself!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:25 AM

431 posts, read 2,794,161 times
Quote:

Pueblo West has a large reservoir and there are homes that are out and away but most,if not all, counties have lease laws about dogs running free. You can take them out and let them run there. But you had better have voice control to call them to you for a lease should someone else be out doing the same. Not supposed to but many do. CSU Pueblo campus is very close in Pueblo. but it is small. There is also a Community college. Colorado Springs has a couple colleges and doggie parks. Many boaters head to Pueblo Res from the Springs. There maybe some small ones there. I am not the best for information about boating and lakes.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 17,865 times
I'm going to recommend Fort Collins. Great town, close to the mountains. Lots of lakes (Horsetooth Reservoir, Red Feather Lakes, etc). CSU is an excellent college. It's not too far away from Denver if you want to go to the city for the weekend. I explored going to Durango for college and it's nice, very outdoorsy, but it's small, isolated and going over those passes in the winter time is not a fun task at all, and it's about a 6 hour drive from Durango to Denver. I also was not impressed with Fort Lewis as a college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado