Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 31,167 times

Advertisements

Sounds like many of you should invest in a copy of Hot Springs and Hot Pools of the Southwest by Marjorie Gersh-Young. Happy Dipping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,509 times
To all that may be interested. Also I find the people near Fort Collins and Greeley quite friendly, more then not. The Poudre River in Fort Collins is a great place to swim or wade around even with your dog. Just not when the water level is high in spring and early summer. Your dog should be on a leash. Best place to access the swim holes is at Martinez Park in North Fort Collins off of Laporte Ave. There are dirt and paved trails that wander thru the park and several swim holes. 1 to 3 have a tree to swing off of. Very popular. Also tubing is allowed when water level drops. Too high right now. It's a great place to hang out with your best friend; your dog. Bring bug spray, lots of trees and shade. Have fun to all and be safe.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:05 PM

9 posts, read 14,138 times
brattpowered...I love Austin, if I was going to remain in Texas, that would be where I called home. LOVE the swimming holes out there...especially Hamilton Pool Reserve So, I could totally see why you'd hope that wherever you'd end up would have great spots as well. I'm glad you asked the question though, thats one I hadn't thought of but would've wished for later.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We chose to put in a permanent above ground pool. We winterize it every fall. We drain about 1/3 of the water and put in chemicals recommended by the pool store. The chemicals act as anti-freeze. We also cover it with a heavy cover. The water does sometimes freeze an inch or so. Our neighbors have an in-ground pool. I believe they do a similar process. In-ground pools are very popular in New York state, where the winter is harsher than here.
Hello Katiana. I am putting up a permanent above ground pool also in the NoCo area and am wondering about winterization. So you run your pump all winter too or just the chemicals? Also how are you covering the pool to keep the snow from piling up? Im a newby... I need lots of advice and help... Thank you

Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,145 times
I'll echo Denver is not the place to swim unless you have low standards! There is Cherry Creek reservoir which you can bike to from the city and that has a beach that is often open when the water is clean. I think Cahtfield reservoir also has a beach. Further afield, there are rivers here and there, but they tend to be cold. There's something about our hard-rock mountain geography that results in not too many swimming holds - I recall the shale-and-sandstone of upstate New York meant there were plenty of swimming holes and waterfalls all around.

To me this statement sums up why I don't like Denver:
Quote:
The city of Denver doesn't really have a real good place to relax for the simple fact that we are a city
When I lived in other cities, I had no problem finding places to relax. Portland's parks and riverfront; the beaches and world-class scenery within the city limits of San Francisco ...

Old 07-22-2011, 04:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aras6 View Post
Hello Katiana. I am putting up a permanent above ground pool also in the NoCo area and am wondering about winterization. So you run your pump all winter too or just the chemicals? Also how are you covering the pool to keep the snow from piling up? Im a newby... I need lots of advice and help... Thank you
We do not run the pump in winter. We leave the solar cover on and have a winter cover over that. Still, one year my husband found a dead squirrel in the pool when he went to open it in the spring! Seriously, find a good pool store and they will help you.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:05 PM

256 posts, read 617,186 times
When I was a child visiting my grandparents in Boulder, we would go tubing on Boulder Creek. It was so much fun. That we be something to look into.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
I used to go tubing in Boulder Creek when I was a student at CU. Haven't thought about that in ages. It was great fun!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 98,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
I'll echo Denver is not the place to swim unless you have low standards! There is Cherry Creek reservoir which you can bike to from the city and that has a beach that is often open when the water is clean. I think Cahtfield reservoir also has a beach. Further afield, there are rivers here and there, but they tend to be cold. There's something about our hard-rock mountain geography that results in not too many swimming holds - I recall the shale-and-sandstone of upstate New York meant there were plenty of swimming holes and waterfalls all around.

To me this statement sums up why I don't like Denver:
When I lived in other cities, I had no problem finding places to relax. Portland's parks and riverfront; the beaches and world-class scenery within the city limits of San Francisco ...
There is some swimming hole out near Cripple Creek that you can cliff jump...its FREE. You can Tube out by Deckers, CO (on 67). Actually going today later on. Its an easy float...and gives you something to do.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,363 times
I am quickly finding out that not only is there no places to swim , but the job market for LPNS here in GJ. is horrible.... very discouraging and frustrating, and to get away for a nice swim or get away like the creeks or lakes .... becomes more frustrating !! LOL good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado