Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

I can't stand skylines that are bunched up with a cluster skyscrapers, and I can't stand skylines that look like a row of fingers sticking up. Columbia has neither and I hope it stays that way. Columbia's uniqueness is becoming stronger with more adaptive re-use. The new business incubator south of Blossom, the Columbia Supply Store building that Miller-Valentine is renovating in the Vista, the former John Paul Armadillo building that will be a variation of Garibaldi's on Assembly, the soon-to open Tin Roof Bar in the Vista, etc., are good examples for developers to follow in a city that has so much to offer in current square footage for entertainment and retail while recruiting tenants to fill existing office space in the central business district. No one should be worried about a bigger skyline for Columbia right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 AM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Amen and amen. No, I'm not religious.
I wouldn't mind though if most churches (the ugly ones) were replaced with skyrapers. There's just too many of them churches. ;-) One historical thing that would be glad to see it go (moved) is the Aduh. It is an eyesore in the middle of the UpandDownTown.

Last edited by neonrider; 08-23-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 AM

Sorry, double post.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Adluh Flour. Now that's southern. Talk about charm.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM

I don't mean to insult Adluh Flour, especially that they are producing unbleached unenriched all natural flour. I know it is a very important enterprise to the area, and I'm against destroying heritage, but visually it, nor any other industrial factory, does not look good anymore, in the middle of Up-and-Down-Town. I hope someone will be able to move it, where lower taxes and a beautiful country scenery is. I think Calhoun County would greet it with open arms. Or perhaps they can beautify it and leave it right there. Just please don't build a skyscraper on top of it. Perhaps I'm wrong, please tell me your opinions on Adluh Flour.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:21 PM

One opinion I have of it is that they care enough to keep that sign blinking with all its letters working. If it ever says A LUH or ADLUH FlO R or something like that, give it a day or two and it's fixed.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider View Post
I wouldn't mind though if most churches (the ugly ones) were replaced with skyrapers. There's just too many of them churches. ;-) One historical thing that would be glad to see it go (moved) is the Aduh. It is an eyesore in the middle of the UpandDownTown.
Absolutely not! The Adluh Building is a landmark that is unique to Columbia. I hope it stands for a thousand years.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
One opinion I have of it is that they care enough to keep that sign blinking with all its letters working. If it ever says A LUH or ADLUH FlO R or something like that, give it a day or two and it's fixed.
Oh that's great, so it never stands a chance looking like "ALLAH AKBAR". Then perhaps they should leave it right there and not try to move it to Manhattan. Can I visit it inside? I hope no one ever (dares to) flies an airplane into the famous ADLUH FLOUR. Imagine the scenery after such an attack - Columbia all in flour, like a winter or something. But no one should ever even attempt to move or let alone terrorize the famous ADLUH FLOUR.

Do y'all know? One should never throw any loaf or piece of bread on the ground nor step on it - that's a sin! If one does, there's a tall chance one and one's family will starve and die of hunger some day. Yes, that is possible even in the U.S. America. You've got a First Warning now - this economic crisis is the beginning of the possible "golodomor". If you don't take care of your country and it's people, it will make you starve and duh.

I predict things, no one knows nor cares, but I predicted all of the events of the last 20-30 years, even as a child.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Absolutely not! The Adluh Building is a landmark that is unique to Columbia. I hope it stands for a thousand years.
Thanks, now i will know how important ADLUH Flour is to Columbians and not even mention doing anything to it. Long live ADLUH Building.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 AM

Here's an example of what can happen when some people love tall buildings for the sake of tall buildings. To me, if a whopper goes up in front of the Meridian Tower some day for instance, Columbia will have lost a lot in the view from West Columbia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/24/ny...+LHrI9yid537iw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area