Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:18 AM

56 posts, read 117,745 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone
Moving to Columbia SC from New England to work at the VA. Looking for a safe, affordable area with great school system, both our children are in 6th grade. Husband will start to look for work once settled. We will be renting for the first year, prefer to rent a house have dog. Neighborhood walkable, character, bikeable, as safe as possible. Enjoy going to YMCA, swimming, parks not into shopping other than for necessities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barba View Post
Hello everyone
Moving to Columbia SC from New England to work at the VA. Looking for a safe, affordable area with great school system, both our children are in 6th grade. Husband will start to look for work once settled. We will be renting for the first year, prefer to rent a house have dog. Neighborhood walkable, character, bikeable, as safe as possible. Enjoy going to YMCA, swimming, parks not into shopping other than for necessities.
School: Hand Middle

Neighborhoods: Melrose Heights, Shandon, Rosewood, Gregg Park, and whatever the neighborhood behind the VA is called, for starters

My partner is assuming you have a pile of money by Columbia standards since you live in New England. If that's the case check out Heathwood.

You didn't ask, but even 10 days in a row of 100+ temps with humidty to match never make me wish for a day even as cold as it has been here recently.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM

2,131 posts, read 2,271,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
School: Hand Middle

Neighborhoods: Melrose Heights, Shandon, Rosewood, Gregg Park, and whatever the neighborhood behind the VA is called, for starters

My partner is assuming you have a pile of money by Columbia standards since you live in New England. If that's the case check out Heathwood.

You didn't ask, but even 10 days in a row of 100+ temps with humidty to match never make me wish for a day even as cold as it has been here recently.

You got that right my friend..

Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM

Well, for starts us New Englanders are not loader, common normal middle class folks. Weather is unpredictable in our area, use to very high heat (+100) to 20 (below) so thats not a problem. I have visited numerous sites and see people talking about lexington school district which is the most important for us. We understand crime, etc., etc is in everytown though most areas are safer than others. We are not buying but looking to rent a house for awhile, we live in urban-rural area and prefer than over house on house, though we seen pictures of historic area of downtown. Would appreciate more information, regarding housing, schools, traffic and "safer" areas with 40min commute or less to VA Hospital.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM

I don't pay much attention to school districts, only to schools. Hand Middle and Dreher High are close to the VA and are excellent schools. Lexington schools would be about a 40 minute commute via the beltway - I-20 to I-26 to I-77.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I don't pay much attention to school districts, only to schools. Hand Middle and Dreher High are close to the VA and are excellent schools. Lexington schools would be about a 40 minute commute via the beltway - I-20 to I-26 to I-77.
I'll second this - look at Shandon, Melrose Heights, Wales Garden, University Hill and Rosewood along with Forest Acres and look for a house zoned either for Dreher High School or AC Flora High School. The Middle Schools to look for are Hand or Crayton. These neighborhoods will be close to parks, the downtown YMCA AND work.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM

What about downtown, theres a historical area, right? We do not like cookie cutter neighbors or homes, character is nice. Therefore, we decided no to NE Columbia d/t traffic and cookie cutter homes. Any other suggestions? We are coming from a small city of around 40,000.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM

University Hill is nice. It's adjacent to the university and downtown and is zoned for Dreher, and I assume for Hand. Melrose Heights is close to downtown. Some parts of downtown are zoned for schools that don't exactly shine academically.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barba View Post
What about downtown, theres a historical area, right? We do not like cookie cutter neighbors or homes, character is nice. Therefore, we decided no to NE Columbia d/t traffic and cookie cutter homes. Any other suggestions? We are coming from a small city of around 40,000.
All of the neighborhoods mentioned are in the downtown area.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,361 times
If you are concerned about schools, crime, and affordability you need to check out Lexington county, especially Lexington 1 school district. Tons of options and one of the best school districts in the state. Depending on what time of day you head in to work it could be a 25 to 40 minute commute but what does that matter compared to the peace of mind you get from living somewhere that you feel secure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area