Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times

Advertisements

Traffic is up.

Columbia Regional Business Report | Columbia, SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Here's an opinion from the director of CAE.

Columbia, SC: Mann: It’s time to rethink Columbia Metropolitan Airport | Opinion Columns | The State

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
I have noticed fares at CAE have been more competitive. Delta also seems to be flying larger jets on certain flights.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:52 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times
Good read. Good to know that our "little" airport is constantly striving for improvement. Can Columbia Metro Airport ever become even a medium sized hub with Hartsfield and Charlotte's airport so closeby?

I also came across something I didn't know, CAE handles A LOT of cargo. According to this data table (Passenger Boarding (Enplanement) and All-Cargo Data for U.S. Airports – Airports), CAE is 56th in the country in terms of handling gross cargo. Makes sense with UPS and Amazon.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 AM

No, CAE will never be a hub. Airlines are shuttering hubs and the industry is consolidating. The best CAE could hope for would be for increased nonstop service to every remaining hub, kind of like Austin, Texas.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:38 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,844,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
No, CAE will never be a hub. Airlines are shuttering hubs and the industry is consolidating. The best CAE could hope for would be for increased nonstop service to every remaining hub, kind of like Austin, Texas.
Austin is a small hub and has many more flights then most people think. Especially the service to London.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Austin is not a hub. You can be a major airport with lots of flights without being a hub. I've been to the Austin airport and it does have lots of flights, but no airline uses it as a hub.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM

744 posts, read 747,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Austin is not a hub. You can be a major airport with lots of flights without being a hub. I've been to the Austin airport and it does have lots of flights, but no airline uses it as a hub.
Actually, the FAA, confers a different meaning for a hub than airlines. Austin is considered a medium hub to the FAA, and at most a major airport with lounges.

http://www.faa.gov/airports/planning...planements.pdf

Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 PM

Okay, but that's a stretch. By that measure Columbia is a small hub already. When someone says "will CAE ever become a hub?" in the context of proximity to CLT and ATL, it is not unreasonable to assume they mean 'hub' the way airlines mean 'hub.' To that end, no, Columbia will never be a hub. Perhaps one day it could be a medium hub by the technical definition of the link you provided, but it's never going to be a place where mainline flights route connecting passengers through a hub-and-spoke paradigm.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM

CAE should focus on getting its existing carriers to fly bigger planes on its routes and add hub cities from which the airport is not currently served. Minneapolis and Miami come to mind. It would be great if Denver, Salt Lake City or Phoenix were added. Bigger planes have the dual benefit of increasing the number of seats (ie, increasing supply and lowering prices) and also increasing the importance of flights into and out of CAE. When weather or other issues cause systemic delays, flights on small planes are cancelled first because there are fewer stranded passengers to deal with. Bigger planes get higher priority when slots open up. Although I love flying out of CAE for many reasons, I've been burned several times when my CAE flight gets cancelled and isn't rescheduled even when flights to other cities are resuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area