Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 07:21 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Columbia Common (not Commons) needs its own thread. It's not about baseball. It's about a part of downtown Columbia being developed into a new area of residential, commercial, institutional and recreational vibrancy. Boston did it. It's called Boston Common. Columbia will do it, too, and like Boston Common, Columbia Common will be only a part of a thriving city with lots of opportunity in its core. Minor-league baseball and the other entertainment that is held in the stadium at Columbia Common will prove to have been only the initial snowball.

Boston Common | City of Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 07:14 AM

Here's a positive sports editorial by Ron Morris about the stadium and minor-league baseball at Columbia Common. I'm sure the the naysayers who keep an arsenal of answers to the rhetorical question "Why not Columbia?" are firing back in the comments section, but I'm not reading those comments.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM

WIS News 10's senior reporter Jack Kuenzie just said on the news that Bob Hughes says national retailers that have never been in South Carolina are VERY interested in locating in the Bull Street development. Hughes had 100 appointments at the Las Vegas retail conference that wrapped up today.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
WIS News 10's senior reporter Jack Kuenzie just said on the news that Bob Hughes says national retailers that have never been in South Carolina are VERY interested in locating in the Bull Street development. Hughes had 100 appointments at the Las Vegas retail conference that wrapped up today.
Exciting news! I'd love for a Nordstrom to open there, even though it's unlikely.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
What a tease! Very exciting to think about, although nearly a decade of living here has made me guardedly optimistic about news like this.

Is it really possible Columbia can pull this off?! If so, we're in for an exciting few years. If not, the city's image and reputation will take years to mend.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:12 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I liked his report, especially mentioning the revenue the city will get in the long run.

And, it is good to look at Greenville. However, with as much that can be learned from Greenville, there is a lot more Columbia will have to do which is unique to the capital city. Columbia has a much larger footprint and multiple districts. The key for Columbia will be connecting The Vista, 5 Points, Main, Columbia Common, the government district and USC. It can be done, cutting down Bull from Gervais to Elmwood would help....wider median & sidewalks, less traffic lanes.

This project has a ton of positives, the Babcock Building is iconic and will make a great apartment/hotel.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
It will be awesome when the various districts are connected, but I also feel that there is a different vibe in each one, which makes Columbia unique.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 PM

117 posts, read 183,739 times
It will almost HAVE to be upscale stores that have never/seldom been in SC for it to work... hopeful it is because I might have a positive thought or two about its possible success My fear has been that we get "SOLD" on high end and "end up" with a Petsmart and Target there. Would love to here names and wonder how it would effect Killian Crossing

Old 05-20-2014, 10:24 PM

235 posts, read 405,087 times
I agree with Sonatco. That is a legitimate fear. The thinking could be that, hey, the stadium is the centerpiece of the whole development, and that's already inked; so, the bar is lowered for retail moving in there. I'd like to see it consist mainly of stores and restaurants that are new or unique to the entire Midlands, making the Common a must-see destination independent of the athletic facilities.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I wonder how many potential retailers we're talking and how this would affect retail momentum along Main and the Vista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area