Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What about PF Chang's and REI?
We have the 9 M's locations in Columbia; we don't need a PF Chang's. REI would be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
We have the 9 M's locations in Columbia; we don't need a PF Chang's. REI would be ok.
Speaking of which, I've eaten at Thai Basil or whatever twice and M Vista and M Grill are out of its league. Mrs. M is Columbia's gift from China.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:21 PM

235 posts, read 405,872 times
Give me an Apple store and we'll call it even

Old 04-28-2014, 01:10 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
What about PF Chang's and REI?
PF Chang's? Bleh. REI? I guess it would be nice to have but I don't necessarily see that as an obvious hole in Columbia's retail scene since metros like Charleston, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Louisville, Lexington, Norfolk, etc. don't have one either.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:01 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,192 times
Ya PF Changs has long ago lost its luster, same deal with Cheesecake Factory, the shine is off.
But yes Columbia is historically underserved but a recent retail renaissance that brought in trader joes and whole foods among others has corrected the prob.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:52 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
The warehouse that is over on Sunset Drive between Main and 277 was owned by Walmart...and used to be some form of "Sams" back in the 80s. It was short lived and now I think its just a warehouse. I am surprised that Walmart hasnt revisited that site tried to convert it into an"urban" walmart or even a Sams Club.. I know people may frown at the location.. but it is close to downtown and is certainly "intown" enough to capitalize on the USC and city dwellers in the northern and northwestern part of the City

Old 04-28-2014, 08:04 AM

110 posts, read 140,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
The warehouse that is over on Sunset Drive between Main and 277 was owned by Walmart...and used to be some form of "Sams" back in the 80s. It was short lived and now I think its just a warehouse. I am surprised that Walmart hasnt revisited that site tried to convert it into an"urban" walmart or even a Sams Club.. I know people may frown at the location.. but it is close to downtown and is certainly "intown" enough to capitalize on the USC and city dwellers in the northern and northwestern part of the City
I always forget how close to 5pts that location is. I think something like that would do well there. It would also pull in customers from N.Main/Elmwood.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
PF Chang's? Bleh. REI? I guess it would be nice to have but I don't necessarily see that as an obvious hole in Columbia's retail scene since metros like Charleston, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Louisville, Lexington, Norfolk, etc. don't have one either.
I would not waste my time at a PF Chang's but there is one in Mount Pleasant, SC so close enough to count as in Charleston.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:38 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
I always forget how close to 5pts that location is. I think something like that would do well there. It would also pull in customers from N.Main/Elmwood.

Harden @ Gervais is screaming for some form of urban anchor retail.. Again.. I know people hate Wal Mart.. but its certainly a traffic generator that could benefit from being at that location especially after the Greyhound Bus Station moves out..Urban Walmart on the Ground Floor surrounded by some smaller retailers and apartments upstairs would work wonders for that site... Walmart needs to rebrad its urban stores..." UrWa"...(i.e. Urban Walmart) or something catchy....or something to take the focus off of Walmart itself and onto something more niche and trendy.. maybe feature more local products etc etc....Something nice on that corner followed by someting next to Cookout would provide a nice gateway into the CBD from the west and be a much need shot in the arm to that end of the City.. i.e. Waverly which has come along way but still has a ways to go..to get on par with other City neighborhoods of similiar ilk like Rosewood, Melrose Heights, Old Shandon, and Governors Hill (Arsenal Hill section not the new stuff over Finlay Park)

Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Harden @ Gervais is screaming for some form of urban anchor retail.. Again.. I know people hate Wal Mart.. but its certainly a traffic generator that could benefit from being at that location especially after the Greyhound Bus Station moves out..Urban Walmart on the Ground Floor surrounded by some smaller retailers and apartments upstairs would work wonders for that site... Walmart needs to rebrad its urban stores..." UrWa"...(i.e. Urban Walmart) or something catchy....or something to take the focus off of Walmart itself and onto something more niche and trendy.. maybe feature more local products etc etc....Something nice on that corner followed by someting next to Cookout would provide a nice gateway into the CBD from the west and be a much need shot in the arm to that end of the City.. i.e. Waverly which has come along way but still has a ways to go..to get on par with other City neighborhoods of similiar ilk like Rosewood, Melrose Heights, Old Shandon, and Governors Hill (Arsenal Hill section not the new stuff over Finlay Park)
Well Wal-Mart is doing that to a degree with its Neighborhood Market stores, like this one in downtown Chicago:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area