Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 PM

678 posts, read 799,728 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on living near that area ?

Say... Around Hampton and Heidt ?

Doable or no way ? Is this the worst spot in columbia or is the crime overblown?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 07:37 PM

12,901 posts, read 18,751,931 times
That's Waverly. If you google Waverly you could find out something about the neighborhood and decide whether to look into it further.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:15 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
What are your thoughts on living near that area ?

Say... Around Hampton and Heidt ?

Doable or no way ? Is this the worst spot in columbia or is the crime overblown?
Heidt St backs up to Two Notch Rd/Rte1. One block over is Oak St. which to me is much more residential and quieter. Not a dangerous neighborhood but an area to pay attention to securing things like a car, home, etc.

I assume you may not have nor want a to use a car to get to Providence. I would have no issues walking from there to Providence during the day especially when Benedict/Allen are in class, but at night it could be a different issue.

All in all if you have a car, then I say look elsewhere.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:26 AM

12,901 posts, read 18,751,931 times
The intersection of Heidt and Hampton is in Waverly a block from the Waverly Community sign. Heidt runs from Taylor Street to Gervais and Hampton runs from downtown to North Millwood.

Here's what I got from googling Waverly.

Historic Waverly Neighborhood: Self Guided Walking Tour - Columbia, SC

Old 11-15-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Heidt St backs up to Two Notch Rd/Rte1. One block over is Oak St. which to me is much more residential and quieter. Not a dangerous neighborhood but an area to pay attention to securing things like a car, home, etc.

I assume you may not have nor want a to use a car to get to Providence. I would have no issues walking from there to Providence during the day especially when Benedict/Allen are in class, but at night it could be a different issue.

All in all if you have a car, then I say look elsewhere.
I was in the area today so I drove along Heidt, Oak and Pine from Taylor to Gervais. Of the 3, if Oak is a 10, Pine is a 6 and Heidt is a 3.

On Oak St, no rundown/dilapidated homes though some could use a bit of work. No junk cars. Saw two families (one black, one white) both with young, skipping along, seemed happy kids.

On Pine St, no run down/dilapidated homes but more need work then on Oak. No junk cars. Several houses with rooms for rent which I expect are aimed at Benedict/Allen students. Seemed more transient then Oak St.

On Heidt many parts backup against businesses/empty lots on Two Notch. While a few nice places, the majority are not.

If you have a car then look out Forest Drive toward Forest Acres, Ft. Jackson. Some nice rentals in that area and an easy drive (or even a bus ride at the right hours) to Providence.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:39 PM

I was actually thinking about looking at this house:

See what I found on #Zillow!
2328 Hampton St, Columbia, SC 29204 is For Sale - Zillow

But wasn't sure if I'd be wasting my time. I guess I'll just go look at it. Thanks John.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:54 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,208 times
They totally hired a house fluffier the pics look spectacular. Definitely worth a look but ya location isn't super stellar but it's still decent.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:

But wasn't sure if I'd be wasting my time. I guess I'll just go look at it. Thanks John.
Lovely looking house but not in a desirable location. Google street view it. Brick apartment building next door looks shabby and might attract a transient crowd. View across the street not much to look at.

I would say it is one of, if not the most expensive home in that area. Resale could be a major issue. I would avoid it.

Last edited by johngolf; 11-16-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:

They did a good job with the renovation and you'll get a lot of house for the money in that neighborhood. I would visit the neighborhood on a Saturday night and see what kind of feel you get.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM

I drove by it during the day on a Saturday. You are basically living on the Allen university campus.
I think it'd be a great house for someone who works at Allen or Benedict. Some high-level administrator perhaps. There was some blight a few houses down though.

Certainly from the pictures though a beautiful home .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area