Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 03:48 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,336,582 times

Advertisements

Not really. Hotels on garners ferry because of Highway exit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 01:23 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevinm View Post
What are they building in front of the newly constructed hotel? Across from the Nick's. Does anyone find it odd that we have like 84 hotels in the Garners Ferry area and not a lot of eateries?
Yeah Garners Ferry and SE is an interesting area. Because its not downtown, NE or NW it tends to lag behind when it comes to shopping and retail especially once you get outside of "the beltway". For the most part the surrounding neighborhoods are middle and upper middle income and quite stable. There are a few low to moderate income apartment complexes scattered throughout the area.. but it has decent schools in the Dreher and Flora Zones and very low crime.. All that being said, it still doesnt get the attention as the aforementioned areas when it comes to development. I thought Burnside Farms on Garners Ferry and Pineview would have changed that, but they have revised their plan to become predominately residential and considerably less retail.

It does seem to be the area of choice for moderately priced hotels because of its proximity to the interstate, Ft Jackson, VA Hospital, and downtown especially on the Richland County side of "the Beltway"

Old 08-21-2020, 08:36 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
So your boy did some digging and we’ve got another QuikTrip. Not quite Garners ferry, but an empty lot on Jackson Blvd next to 77.

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/plannin...inalAgenda.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Garners Ferry Construction-0776c6b3-7ee4-4478-8e8a-42c6aadb809a.jpeg  

Old 08-22-2020, 07:04 AM

60 posts, read 84,896 times
With that kind of news, you are definitely my boy Mr. Coombes! As an Atlanta native, I love some QT!

Old 08-22-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
So your boy did some digging and we’ve got another QuikTrip. Not quite Garners ferry, but an empty lot on Jackson Blvd next to 77.

https://columbiasc.gov/depts/plannin...inalAgenda.pdf
What is interesting is that access road seems to be built to handle alot of volume and the QT is only a small section of the overall parcel which is both commercial and residential behind it.. It seems like they have plans to build more behind it which is why the road is such a high volume spur.. I would venture to guess it will be apartments/multifamily immediately behind the QT and maybe single family or townhomes further back. That location is excellent for multi family and single family because of access to downtown, 77 and Ft Jackson...

Old 08-22-2020, 10:17 AM

273 posts, read 245,968 times
Yes, in the meeting the lady stated that QT was the initial part of a neighborhood behind

Old 08-24-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColumbiaJAK View Post
Yes, in the meeting the lady stated that QT was the initial part of a neighborhood behind

That is good to know.. I have always been a fan of SE Columbia.. I think it got to the game late because it did not have direct interstate access until the completion of I-77 so NE and NW with I-20 and I-26 developed ahead of it.. That may have been a good thing since much of what is there in the form of old strip malls and what not are either still doing well like Landmark Sq or have been repurposed like Woodhill Mall. The area hasn't seen the decline like Dentsville and St. Andrews which are the areas which developed after these highways were completed and suffered with the advent of Harbison/Irmo and the area around Sandhills and now Blythewood.

It will be interesting to see how the area continues to develop.. There are still some large wooded "intown" parcels that are filling in but more so outside of "the beltway" along Leesburg, Greenlawn, Patterson, Hazelwood and off of Garners Ferry.. The expansion of Shop Road may improve access to the highway and the city as well. I think the biggest challenge is that Lower Richland has been more been more opposed to growth and has been hindered by perceptions of school zones, lack of infrastructure, and the fact that it is the industrial section of the County for the most part so that forces most of the growth between Garners Ferry and Fort Jackson.

When I used to commute into the city from down there.. You had several options such as Shop Rd., Bluff Road or slogging up Garners Ferry but you could always bail off on Rosewood, Devine, or Millwood/Gervais to get into downtown...all which seem to be better options when compared to the limited access coming in from the NW or NE Richland County

Old 08-31-2020, 11:33 PM

120 posts, read 149,753 times
I'm always here for QT news. The one on Two Notch opens in September. Wilson Blvd will open not too much longer after that. I'm still waiting on a Northwest Columbia announcement. What's more Ironic is there are no 7-Elevens on the Columbia Side of the river and as of right now, I only know of the Lexington QT on the west side of the river.

Last edited by mapman321; 08-31-2020 at 11:47 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 09:36 AM

306 posts, read 393,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman321 View Post
I'm always here for QT news. The one on Two Notch opens in September. Wilson Blvd will open not too much longer after that. I'm still waiting on a Northwest Columbia announcement. What's more Ironic is there are no 7-Elevens on the Columbia Side of the river and as of right now, I only know of the Lexington QT on the west side of the river.
Earlier this year in the property transfers published by the state, it included a transaction where QT purchased a plot of land at I-26 and St. Andrews Rd. It’s currently the site of a motel across from Chefs Store.

https://goo.gl/maps/f6PYJtLH1jMeszz48

I imagine they will coordinate with the Carolina Crossroads project before announcing a location at this site.

I was actually discussing this the other day. As an Irmo resident and a QT fan, I was trying to think of prominent locations that they could open locations over this way. So many of the prime locations are already occupied or are not large enough to accommodate most QT locations. They would certainly have to purchase existing businesses.

I was a resident of the upstate at the time they made their entrance to that market and I have very much missed having them nearby. You can always count on quality, cleanliness, variety, and consistency which has always made road trips through areas with qt much easier.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:48 PM

120 posts, read 149,753 times
I live on the northeast and I certainly can't wait for the Two Notch and Wilson locations to open. Its actually Convenience Center food that I would actually eat. Not to mention they have the best selections of Smoothies and Freezonis anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area